Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rich Dentist kills Majestic Lion

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm not sure you can make a blanket statement like that. Properly licensed and controlled hunting could be a boon to funding for wildlife conservation in poorer countries. I know this is an argument proposed by pro-hunting groups, but it does have some merit and there have been several scholarly studies validating the idea. In the US, hunters and the license fees they pay have been instrumental in the comeback of species like pronghorn, elk and wild turkey. Of course, I certainly agree that guides and game wardens have large incentives to take a few bribes and cut a few corners. Again, these would have to be properly monitored and robust programs.

One thing we can all agree on: trophy hunting is a pathetic and regressive display of childish macho-ism and general douchebaggery.
For certain species, hunting can be beneficial. I believe this is why the deer hunting season is regulated in the way it is.

I don't think it would imply to a species whose numbers are decreasing at the rate of the lion though, but maybe that's not the case if there are issues of overpopulation in areas where there are more lions than the local prey can support. Though, arguably relocation would be a better method of dealing with that.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
For certain species, hunting can be beneficial. I believe this is why the deer hunting season is regulated in the way it is. .....
Deer hunting in the US is pretty much necessary, for lack, across most of the US, of top predators other than man. Deer populations in many states have grown steadily and substantially over the past 30-40 years.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Deer hunting in the US is pretty much necessary, for lack, across most of the US, of top predators other than man. Deer populations in many states have grown steadily and substantially over the past 30-40 years.
That's what I had thought, or along those lines anyway.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm not sure you can make a blanket statement like that. Properly licensed and controlled hunting could be a boon to funding for wildlife conservation in poorer countries. I know this is an argument proposed by pro-hunting groups, but it does have some merit and there have been several scholarly studies validating the idea. In the US, hunters and the license fees they pay have been instrumental in the comeback of species like pronghorn, elk and wild turkey. Of course, I certainly agree that guides and game wardens have large incentives to take a few bribes and cut a few corners. Again, these would have to be properly monitored and robust programs.

One thing we can all agree on: trophy hunting is a pathetic and regressive display of childish macho-ism and general douchebaggery.
I would also, reluctantly, support the idea of properly licensed and controlled hunting as a way to fund conservation/preservation. The situation we have here demonstrates why this is a challenging task, though. Let's say for a moment that the 'official' program in Zimbabwe is appropriate - maybe those fees go towards building more preserves, saving more animals, etc - so that could be a net positive. But the huge sums of money involved make this such an obvious target for abuse, and that's exactly what happened in this situation.

I just saw a report on this on CNN ... this is getting massive coverage, which is a good thing.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I would also, reluctantly, support the idea of properly licensed and controlled hunting as a way to fund conservation/preservation. The situation we have here demonstrates why this is a challenging task, though. Let's say for a moment that the 'official' program in Zimbabwe is appropriate - maybe those fees go towards building more preserves, saving more animals, etc - so that could be a net positive. But the huge sums of money involved make this such an obvious target for abuse, and that's exactly what happened in this situation.

I just saw a report on this on CNN ... this is getting massive coverage, which is a good thing.
One might also argue that by charging fees like this (E.g $50-60k), it limits the number of animals which are hunted. If they were offering hunting permits for $1000, there'd be no animals left.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He probably can't continue in business?

He won't be heralded as a martyr?

People are being forced to boycott his business?

[A boycott] won't probably happen?

Is that what "completely wrong" means? If so, I still have no idea what that means.
I am going to a social tomorrow and will ask, most will be hunters.

From a practical perspective this story will be gone in a week and most people will not remember his name in 2. and that is the small number who took notice in the first place, and who care.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I would also, reluctantly, support the idea of properly licensed and controlled hunting as a way to fund conservation/preservation. The situation we have here demonstrates why this is a challenging task, though. Let's say for a moment that the 'official' program in Zimbabwe is appropriate - maybe those fees go towards building more preserves, saving more animals, etc - so that could be a net positive. .....
The problem with the pricing argument is that while there are a small number of individuals willing to pay, say, $50,000 to kill Cecil, there are probably rather more than 1,000 people willing to pay $50 to see Cecil alive. Those 1,000 would also add rather more to the local economy in terms of expenditure at hotels and restaurants than one gun, or bow, toting idiot. In short, there is much more to be made from conservation than hunting.

The only circumstance under which I would concede that commercial hunting of big game animals is acceptable would be similar to the accompanied deer stalking in Scotland, where the game keeper determines which animals will be killed, guides the hunter to where target animals can be found, and directs the hunter on which animal to kill. Under these circumstances I would envisage that the old, ill, and injured animals be culled, or those which carry genes already amply represented (siblings of animals already successfully breeding).
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

Both Scotland and Africa are different to the US where it is not seen as an elitist past time.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
Both Scotland and Africa are different to the US where it is not seen as an elitist past time.
I agree, hunting deer or other animals that inhabit the US in their tens of thousands or more is not elitist, but paying $50,000 to kill a lion isn't elitist?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Going on a hunt in Africa or Scotland is an elitist past time.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:43 pm

Going on a hunt in Africa or Scotland is an elitist past time.
Correct, but what has that got to do with Cecil, who did live in Africa?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

It is outside the norm for hunters in the US, a different demographic.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought a felony would keep someone out of the medical field. If it doesn't it should. I don't want a dentist or doctor with a felony criminal record.

Originally Posted by Michael
Walter Palmer, who has a felony record in the U.S. related to shooting a black bear in Wisconsin, released a statement Tuesday after Zimbabwean authorities identified him as the American involved in the July hunt. They said Palmer is being sought on poaching charges, but Palmer said he hasn't heard from U.S. or Zimbabwean authorities.

Man accused in lion death says he thought hunt was legal
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would have thought a felony would keep someone out of the medical field. If it doesn't it should. I don't want a dentist or doctor with a felony criminal record.
He also purportedly shelled out over $100k to settle a sexual harassment claim, so $50k to hunt a lion was probably a "bargain".
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:31 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Who uses YELP, as I mentioned i have a rating and did not even know it.
According to Alexa, Yelp is the 34th most popular website in the US. It gets about 160 million hits per month. So sure, nobody uses it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.