Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Resident in the USA? Help these schoolkids.

Resident in the USA? Help these schoolkids.

Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident in the USA? Help these schoolkids.

Originally Posted by newshoney
Personally I took no offence at lycanthrop - it's important to see all POVs and of course there will be anti-white racism in some parts. I think the crucial difference here is the power imbalance and the way the authorities invoked a disproportionate punishment for the alleged crime. If the black police chief, DA, judge and jury in say Baltimore (a black majority city) had thrown this at a 16 year old white highschool student I would be equally outraged.
That is the key isn't it, the only two places I have really felt threatened because I was white is neighbourhoods in southern VA and east Birmingham.

I would never however consider suffering judicial prejudice in either the US or the UK.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my blood boils each time i think of the student going to ask if he could sit under the shade tree.... :curse:
The very idea - here in the year 2007!

But it provides a very pertinent illustration of the kinds of mindset that still govern interactions between the races in certain parts of the South.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:08 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally
Do you have some links to similar cases regarding white schoolkids?
I'm not interested in provoking racist argument. My comments were not offensive, they are the results of personal observation and interraction over two decades in 3 regions of the US. Why defend the argument......you either see it this way or you dont. Its the same with the PC stance.

Oh, and by the way......would someone please tell Leslie to lay off the personal insults (full of shit / stupid man, etc). I have her on ignore, but unfortunately her posts still show up in others' quotes. I could care less her personal opinions, but she does take it all a tad personally.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
I hadn't come across this - thank you. And btw my thanks to you, trubrit, britvic, sillysod, mallory, ray, elvira, fatbrit, sally, redlippie (and anotherlimey, manc and dreamcatcher on TIO) for your posts. I was confident there would be some BEC members who might take an interest.

Personally I took no offence at lycanthrop - it's important to see all POVs and of course there will be anti-white racism in some parts. I think the crucial difference here is the power imbalance and the way the authorities invoked a disproportionate punishment for the alleged crime. If the black police chief, DA, judge and jury in say Baltimore (a black majority city) had thrown this at a 16 year old white highschool student I would be equally outraged.

To Southern Comfort I would say that it is sometimes easy to misread intentions when you cannot see or hear the opinion expressed - let's put aside acrimonious and personalised exchanges. If this has given you pause for thought that's all for the good, isn't it? After all every day we learn something new. And happily I've discovered that there is no rule against expressing the same thought in two different threads, provided it's appropriate for both. So thanks too to jerseygirl and bob for your clarifications.

Just to remind everyone: http://jenasix.org has the relevant email addresses if you feel moved to express your opinion on this issue.
You strike me as a very nice person. You obviously have a lot to contribute to BE...I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:33 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
I'm not interested in provoking racist argument. My comments were not offensive, they are the results of personal observation and interraction over two decades in 3 regions of the US. Why defend the argument......you either see it this way or you dont. Its the same with the PC stance.

Oh, and by the way......would someone please tell Leslie to lay off the personal insults (full of shit / stupid man, etc). I have her on ignore, but unfortunately her posts still show up in others' quotes. I could care less her personal opinions, but she does take it all a tad personally.
While your original comments may not have been intended as offensive they could easily be taken that way when many white racists use the same "argument" to justify their own racism.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:10 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil
While your original comments may not have been intended as offensive they could easily be taken that way when many white racists use the same "argument" to justify their own racism.
Ok........fair comment.

Racists, be they white, black, yellow or polka-dot have one thing in common don't they? A tunnel view wich isn't open to the possibility that they could be wrong about their opinions of a whole group of people. There just aren't exceptions to the rule..........

Personally, I've found that there are exceptions to the rule........whatever the color. Its just a shame that those scant exceptions are just that.........whatever their color.

Peace, love and pass the ammunition.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:38 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Ok........fair comment.

Racists, be they white, black, yellow or polka-dot have one thing in common don't they? A tunnel view wich isn't open to the possibility that they could be wrong about their opinions of a whole group of people. There just aren't exceptions to the rule..........

Personally, I've found that there are exceptions to the rule........whatever the color. Its just a shame that those scant exceptions are just that.........whatever their color.

Peace, love and pass the ammunition.
The main difference is that a lot of other races have very good reasons to resent whites. While they are not helping the situation by being racist themselves it is understandable. On the whole you must be able to understand why they might want to separate themselves from a culture which treats them in such a way as can be demonstrated in this story.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

............Peace, love and pass the ammunition.
Do you really feel that, given the subject of this thread, your flippant comments are in any way appropriate?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
I'd like to know where the writer got the figures. Just out of interest. I know that non whites suffer more at the hands of british courts than their white counterparts - but infant mortality rate 100 pecent higher than that of white children? I just dont see it personally. I may well be completely wrong of course but non whites have the same access to the heath service as whites, the same access to the same social benefits as whites. So why should the infant mortality rate be 100% higher? COuld this be a load of old commie bullshit?
No, it is true. Here's one source: http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2001pres/20011119a.html
I've seen reports in respected journals like New England Journal of Medicine and "Obstetrics & Gynecology".

In theory black and white people have the same access, but not in reality. Daily living gets in the way of people's health - eg missed antenatal clinic appointments because there's no money for the bus fare or because they have no cell phone credit so couldn't arrange for friends/relatives to look after the kids.

There are issues such as education & culture. At the hospital I was based at in LA, black women on the whole did not have any intention to breastfeed, the majority of white & Latinas did. (Breastfeeding has links to increased immunity, decreased asthma & eczema, decreased diabetes......not breastfeeding increases the risk of ear infections etc the opposite of the list for breastfeeding) (BTW, I don't have a problem with women bottle-feeding, provided that they have made an informed decision.)

Different states have different healthcare provisions for pregnant women. eg in California, it's free. But this doesn't mean that women will actually access it. Every single day I was at that hospital in LA, I saw women who had received NO prenatal care....didnt know they were pregnant, or had carried a pregnancy successfully before so knew what to expect and didn't want the hassle of visiting the hospital etc.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Will somebody please quote this post so that lycanthrop can read it?

Black people who dislike white people are not the majority as "he who can't be spoken to directly" said in his post. That was a stupid comment made out of ignorance. Even it was the truth - it is completely irrelevent to the original post and topic of this thread.

I'm quite sure that he has personally experienced black people oppressing him, threatening his life for sitting under their trees, incarcerating his children and in general making him live as a second class citizen in a country where ALL PEOPLE ARE (allegedly) EQUAL. I'm also equally convinced that all of the black owned businesses in his area are keeping him unemployed or paying him slave wages in which to provide for his family. I realize that the black controlled government of the US is forcing "he who cannot be spoken to directly" to live in hopelessness as the country turns further and further away from the idealistic hopes that someday his white children will play beside black children without the threat of death. I realize as "he who cannot etc etc" drives through his city that the black police force is profiling him daily and pulling him over when his only crime was being a poor white man driving through a wealthy black neighborhood.

As Elvira mentioned earlier - institutionalized racism is a completely different animal than different cultures and ethnicities "disliking" each other.

I will stop insulting "he who cannot be spoken to directly" when and if he ever decides to engage his brain before posting complete and utter bollocks - comments that are not only irrelevant to the conversation but are glib, childish and deeply insulting to those of us that care about other people.

Peace, love and kiss my ass.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who has ever played an online video game with a headset that allows them to talk to other players knows full well that racism is still pretty strong amongst some teenagers. It can get pretty bizarre sometimes that whacked out stuff they say.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Will somebody please quote this post so that lycanthrop can read it?

Black people who dislike white people are not the majority as "he who can't be spoken to directly" said in his post. That was a stupid comment made out of ignorance. Even it was the truth - it is completely irrelevent to the original post and topic of this thread.

I'm quite sure that he has personally experienced black people oppressing him, threatening his life for sitting under their trees, incarcerating his children and in general making him live as a second class citizen in a country where ALL PEOPLE ARE (allegedly) EQUAL. I'm also equally convinced that all of the black owned businesses in his area are keeping him unemployed or paying him slave wages in which to provide for his family. I realize that the black controlled government of the US is forcing "he who cannot be spoken to directly" to live in hopelessness as the country turns further and further away from the idealistic hopes that someday his white children will play beside black children without the threat of death. I realize as "he who cannot etc etc" drives through his city that the black police force is profiling him daily and pulling him over when his only crime was being a poor white man driving through a wealthy black neighborhood.

As Elvira mentioned earlier - institutionalized racism is a completely different animal than different cultures and ethnicities "disliking" each other.

I will stop insulting "he who cannot be spoken to directly" when and if he ever decides to engage his brain before posting complete and utter bollocks - comments that are not only irrelevant to the conversation but are glib, childish and deeply insulting to those of us that care about other people.

Peace, love and kiss my ass.
x
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I meant to substantiate your assertion.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
No, it is true. Here's one source: http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2001pres/20011119a.html
I've seen reports in respected journals like New England Journal of Medicine and "Obstetrics & Gynecology".

In theory black and white people have the same access, but not in reality. Daily living gets in the way of people's health - eg missed antenatal clinic appointments because there's no money for the bus fare or because they have no cell phone credit so couldn't arrange for friends/relatives to look after the kids.

There are issues such as education & culture. At the hospital I was based at in LA, black women on the whole did not have any intention to breastfeed, the majority of white & Latinas did. (Breastfeeding has links to increased immunity, decreased asthma & eczema, decreased diabetes......not breastfeeding increases the risk of ear infections etc the opposite of the list for breastfeeding) (BTW, I don't have a problem with women bottle-feeding, provided that they have made an informed decision.)

Different states have different healthcare provisions for pregnant women. eg in California, it's free. But this doesn't mean that women will actually access it. Every single day I was at that hospital in LA, I saw women who had received NO prenatal care....didnt know they were pregnant, or had carried a pregnancy successfully before so knew what to expect and didn't want the hassle of visiting the hospital etc.
My husband's medical research is to do with Vitamin D and immunity and his results are interesting, not wishing to annoy bottle-feeding mums but the evidence is there for far better immune system for both the child and, interestingly, subsequent children of that child with breast feeding. It consistently seems that lower income groups are put off breastfeeding, sadly.

Secondly he has been conducting research into the role of Vitamin D and the immune system, showing strong links with higher incidence of TB in dark-skinned ethnic groups due to lower Vit D absorption from the same amount of sunlight.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Lycanthrop, did you feel Black people in the UK disliked Whites or is it a specifically US phenomenon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.