Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Resident in the USA? Help these schoolkids.

Resident in the USA? Help these schoolkids.

Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident in the USA? Help these schoolkids.

Originally Posted by southern comfort
My point was racism exists in the UK also. get outraged wuth your own country....but I think he is just a stirrer
I am gobsmacked.... for a start he is a she and my intentions were as stated. When I come across injustice in the UK where I have citizen's rights there are many options open to me and I exercise them where and when I see fit.
I would have liked to add my name to the ACLU petition for an investigation but I'm not a US citizen or a US resident and so cannot.

So it occurred to me post on one of the political discussion forums on this site. I joined BEC some weeks ago after finding it when I was googling for an answer on a problem I had with my Canadian immigration application. It was an eye-opener and since then it's become a daily ritual for me to read up, and surf a little and sometimes offer my six ha'porth on a post. From all I'd seen so far, it appeared most people on this site (at least on the Canada thread) were really nice and I thought that perhaps people with a link to Britain, who might share my shock at the events in Louisiana, but who were actually in the USA, might feel moved to voice a protest. You can check back - this was my first post on the US side of the BEC site.

Why did this particular case strike me as worthy of protest? I'm a mother of three, one of them a 16 year old boy who was once the victim of a group of bullies at his London comprehensive school. After months of persecution (ripped books, scissored tie, spit in his food, being jostled into walls in the corridor and so on) he realised that to stop it, he would have to defend himself. The next time the ringleader went for him (shouldered into a wall) he picked himself up and punched the gloating bully in the solar plexus. Guess who was excluded for "violent behaviour"? And yet our personal experience of how a situation can get out of hand fortunately had an extremely positive outcome, thanks to good communication and coordinated action between the school, parents, children and a teacher who gave up his free time to mentor the boys. Just transpose this incident to Jena, LA and imagine I or my son were of the minority ethnic group. As a result of that punch my son could have been the one remanded in custody for seven months awaiting trial on trumped-up charges in front of a hostile jury which included none of his peers, only to be sentenced to 22 years in prison. So it struck a chord.

By the way, southern comfort, I would never stoop to quoting one-sided Communist Party propaganda or for that matter any other political party's massaged figures to try and smear someone. The old tag of "lies, damned lies and statistics" comes to mind. In fact, I'm not the type to smear anyone - if I have an honest criticism I would make it but I would strive not to be offensive about it. I've been a BBC journalist for 24 years - one of the backroom types who checks facts, subs down other peoples' copy, devises programme running orders and so on, an unimportant drone in the larger scheme of things, but it has given me some insight into how to conduct research, corroborate evidence and make an informed opinion based on facts.

A respected senior colleague, Tom Mangold, authored a long-form documentary on this case on the BBC in May - my original post referred you to the BBC news website story which is a summary of his findings. There are plenty more sources, some biased, some incomplete or distorted. If you have the time and inclination you can spend days or even weeks trawling through (as I did) and then form your own opinion. If you think it's acceptable to be part of a society that condones this, you absolutely have the right to disagree with me and take no action whatsoever.

To those who have read this far - thank you for your patience at this rant.

Last edited by newshoney; Aug 9th 2007 at 8:19 pm. Reason: to add southern comfort's comment from TTP
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

lets just agree to dislike each other ok you always jump in at anything I say .
Jump in thats rich coming from you, Tit for Tat as always.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

lets just agree to dislike each other ok you always jump in at anything I say ... have a nice day
i don't dislike you, i just happen to notice how you like to stir shit like in this thread, digging up crap from 5 yrs ago!
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newshoney
I am gobsmacked.... for a start he is a she and my intentions were as stated. When I come across injustice in the UK where I have citizen's rights there are many options open to me and I exercise see them where and when I see fit.
I would have liked to add my name to the ACLU petition for an investigation but I'm not a US citizen or a US resident and so cannot.

So it occurred to me post on one of the political discussion forums on this site. I joined BEC some weeks ago after finding it when I was googling for an answer on a problem I had with my Canadian immigration application. It was an eye-opener and since then it's become a daily ritual for me to read up, and surf a little and sometimes offer my six ha'porth on a post. From all I'd seen so far, it appeared most people on this site (at least on the Canada thread) were really nice and I thought that perhaps people with a link to Britain, who might share my shock at the events in Louisiana, but who were actually in the USA, might feel moved to voice a protest. You can check back - this was my first post on the US side of the BEC site.

Why did this particular case strike me as worthy of protest? I'm a mother of three, one of them a 16 year old boy who was once the victim of a group of bullies at his London comprehensive school. After months of persecution (ripped books, scissored tie, spit in his food, being jostled into walls in the corridor and so on) he realised that to stop it, he would have to defend himself. The next time the ringleader went for him (shouldered into a wall) he picked himself up and punched the gloating bully in the solar plexus. Guess who was excluded for "violent behaviour"? And yet our personal experience of how a situation can get out of hand fortunately had an extremely positive outcome, thanks to good communication and coordinated action between the school, parents, children and a teacher who gave up his free time to mentor the boys. Just transpose this incident to Jena, LA and imagine I or my son were of the minority ethnic group. As a result of that punch my son could have been the one remanded in custody for seven months awaiting trial on trumped-up charges in front of a hostile jury which included none of his peers, only to be sentenced to 22 years in prison. So it struck a chord.

By the way, southern comfort, I would never stoop to quoting one-sided Communist Party propaganda or for that matter any other political party's massaged figures to try and smear someone. The old tag of "lies, damned lies and statistics" comes to mind. In fact, I'm not the type to smear anyone - if I have an honest criticism I would make it but I would strive not to be offensive about it. I've been a BBC journalist for 24 years - one of the backroom types who checks facts, subs down other peoples' copy, devises programme running orders and so on, an unimportant drone in the larger scheme of things, but it has given me some insight into how to conduct research, corroborate evidence and make an informed opinion based on facts.

A respected senior colleague, Tom Mangold, authored a long-form documentary on this case on the BBC in May - my original post referred you to the BBC news website story which is a summary of his findings. There are plenty more sources, some biased, some incomplete or distorted. If you have the time and inclination you can spend days or even weeks trawling through (as I did) and then form your own opinion. If you think it's acceptable to be part of a society that condones this, you absolutely have the right to disagree with me and take no action whatsoever.

So......there is no racism practised in the UK then ..to outrage you I mean ?
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but was it a diesel engine?
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Jump in thats rich coming from you, Tit for Tat as always.
you will feel better when you go home
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I am gobsmacked.... for a start he is a she and my intentions were as stated. When I come across injustice in the UK where I have citizen's rights there are many options open to me and I exercise see them where and when I see fit.

Here here & karma given
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:18 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

OK......sorry my mistake ...no racism in the uk its perfect
and there you go again, you can't stop can you? all ray was saying was the article you pulled up was 5 yrs old and written for political gain....yes of course there is racism in the uk...errr how old are you, do grow up!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:19 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Still have a collection of NF badges and other stuff in a drawer somewhere..........any offers?

.........whistling through the graveyard........
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm American and I'm outraged by the situation in Louisiana (I was aware of it before the OP posted it) and I have no problem with a British person being outraged by it FFS.

It will be a cold day in hell when I stop being outraged by mistreatment of people ANYWHERE on the planet. Compassion for the human condition should not have borders - God knows cruelty doesn't.

I also think that bringing attention to the situation is hardly shit stirring. It really is happening and it really is disgusting. Why would anybody oppose it being exposed?

Last edited by Leslie; Aug 9th 2007 at 8:36 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Still have a collection of NF badges and other stuff in a drawer somewhere..........any offers?

.........whistling through the graveyard........
I might need one when I get home according to SC. No it's not funny not funny at all.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

So......there is no racism practised in the UK then ..to outrage you I mean ?
Blatant, institutionalised racism as evidenced by this case is, AFAIK, unheard of in contemporary Britain.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Blatant, institutionalised racism as evidenced by this case is, AFAIK, unheard of in contemporary Britain.
Excellent point. Racism may exist everywhere but in the US it is still state mandated when it comes to black people.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I am gobsmacked....
Don't worry! You posted while the chattering classes were on their -- as usual -- extended lunch break and managed to pick up only those who'd just finished listening to the Limbagh show. The red brigade is now all present and ready to go into action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.