Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Renting & giving out your SSN/DOB, etc

Renting & giving out your SSN/DOB, etc

Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting & giving out your SSN/DOB, etc

Originally Posted by Sonic5
Apologies,
What I wanted to ask is: are our identities at greater risk with a private person than an organization?

Strong shades of paranoia.

If you are that concerned then don't use credit whatsoever and put a block on your ssn with all three major credit reporting companies.

It would stand to reason that an organization is a higher risk because MORE people have access to your SSN then just one individual.

My daughter doesn't freeze her credit at the bureaus but pays a small fee so that she is notified every time her credit is checked and if a new credit card is applied for and given.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to do a criminal background check on a prospective landlord before giving your information?

I think you are quite naive to believe that.
It can be the other way around you know,

The criminal network has a lot of strands, some of which are those people who look and act legitimate.

It is not hard for a crook, who appears on the face of it, to be a normal landlord or business person but also have criminal connections and from whom information is passed to those who actually commit the ciminmal acts, with the landlord/business person having nothing that leads back to them.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:10 pm
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Unless you're planning on living where you're living forever and paying cash for everything for the rest of your life you're going to have to come to terms with this phobia.

Its not a phobia missy, its a concern.
But at least we all now know that we shouldn't bother taking your posts with any seriousness, given your dismissive, unhelpful and rather narky replies.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 10th 2010 at 11:13 pm. Reason: You're out of line Sonic. She was helpful. You are the snarky one with a bad attitude.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am actually concerned about that to, but I just didn't mention it in my original post.

I think the point here is that private individuals are not bound by any requirements whatsoever, unless they are registered as a business and have a license.

Therefore, if anything does happen, be it through intent or carelessness, the effect is colossal for the victim but there are very little to no consequences for the private person.
Then why don't you just work with a reputable property management company and quit shitting your pants then?

I think you would be less flippant with your comments if you had suffered from identity theft, or knew someone close who did.
It is a shocking and debilitating crime that takes years to unravel, and during this time, the victim's life is not their own.
I wasn't being flippant, I was trying to be helpful and share from my own experience. I was the victim of identity theft and it was through a purchase made from a large corporation.

And what do you know of the chances of identity theft happening?
You need to wake up, look around and see what is going on, when you've sobered up that is.
Erm ... I work with other people's credit and the major reporting agencies on a daily basis. I've also worked in property management. Asshole.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:12 pm
Banned

Sonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant futureSonic5 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rete
Strong shades of paranoia.
You clearly have zero qualifications to make such a loose and flippant statement, so perhaps you should not do so.

I can't imagine how you got your moderator moniker with such replies.
Maybe this site has very low standards?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a phobia missy, its a concern.
But at least we all now know that we shouldn't bother taking your posts with any seriousness, given your dismissive, unhelpful and rather narky replies.
You're delusional. I wasn't being narky until you lost the plot. I was being pragmatic and realistic. Anyhoodles, I hope somebody nicks your credit information and proves you right. Twat.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:15 pm
Banned

Then why don't you just work with a reputable property management company and quit shitting your pants then?
Charming words.

I can only imagine what words would come out of your mouth if you were actually annoyed or upset.

I dread to think?
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:16 pm
Concierge

You clearly have zero qualifications to make such a loose and flippant statement, so perhaps you should not do so.

I can't imagine how you got your moderator moniker with such replies.
Maybe this site has very low standards?

And you do? Yes, I do know of some who has gone through id theft, not once but twice.

So bugger off. You don't need qualifications to call it like you see it and you are paranoid about id theft.

It was not loose and flippant but how I see you and your fear of someone wanting to be you. I gave you a suggestion on how to control your fear and protect your id from theft. But you chose to ignore that gem.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 10th 2010 at 11:18 pm. Reason: BTW you should read Rule #14 ... It's been applied
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:16 pm
Banned

You're delusional. I wasn't being narky until you lost the plot. I was being pragmatic and realistic. Anyhoodles, I hope somebody nicks your credit information and proves you right. Twat.
Sad cat lady I think.