Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Renting a cargo van (as opposed to a truck) one-way

Renting a cargo van (as opposed to a truck) one-way

Old Mar 30th 2022, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a cargo van (as opposed to a truck) one-way

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I have used Freightcenter.com and Freightquote.com to book LTL shipments for equipment. They all require the contents to be palletized and items secured with banding or some other means, or crated. If crated there needs to be a gap in the bottom to allow for a pallet jack or forklift to pick it up.

In Steerpike's case it seems like he is moving a large number of personal effects so packaging everything in a crate might be too much hassle, and the weight+size will quite likely make a LTL shipment more expensive than renting the van. Pick-up and drop-off at his home also adds quite a bit to the price as the LTL terminal has to move the crate into a lift-gate equipped truck. Then there is the insurance matter, which is only really offered on things over $750 I believe and there is a $500 deductible also.

There is also UShip.com which can be quite cheap, but again if Steerpike has room sized contents to move, it would need boxing or crating.
I do see the fact that my stuff is just a big pile of loose boxes (plus a few big, delicate artwork items) as a challenge for the 'freight' options. The boxes are essentially Home Depot 'Small' (30+) and 'Medium' (10+) boxes, and not all of them were packed with any sort of rough handling in mind. So I think that flying down and loading up a cargo van is going to be the best option. The 8' 'PODs' solution (https://www.pods.com/portable-container-sizes) might have been a good option - I could have loaded it at my home then had it delivered to CA ... but since I need to put the stuff into storage at the new location also, I'm still not clear how I would handle that.

With gas prices over $6/gal in CA, and close to $5/gal in AZ, the 19mpg cargo van is a much better option than the 12 mpg 10' truck from uhaul. 750 miles is going to cost about 750 / 19 * $5.50 = $217 in the cargo van, vs $344 in the truck.

Cargo van it would appear to be ...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is why I said he needs a freight forwarder that offers domestic service. Clearly you have been dealing with ones focused on larger commercial shipments. I was giving him the benefit of some personal experience, not just making $4!t up.

I have used a freight forwarder a couple of times, they sent a van, loaded up my stuff, and stuck it on a pallet for me, presumably back at their depot, and then send it to the destination. Each time I paid less than Steerpike has been quoted to rent a van, and that was for transatlantic air shipment, though it was a few years ago now, and presumably for less stuff than Steerpike needs to ship. I doubt he would have to pay as much as the van rental, of course depending on exactly how much stuff he actually has to ship, but he also saves the airline ticket, the fuel, and his time and effort.
I've started the process of getting a few quotes from some local freight forwarders. I'll report back on what I find. Right now, some of the items, like the artwork, and some very delicate ceramic pieces, are essentially loosely placed on top of everything else. My plan, for the 'van' option, was to simply pack them last, on top of everything else. If I'm going to rely on a 3rd party to pack everything for me, they are going to have to be taken care of.

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 30th 2022 at 4:08 am.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 4:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered a full-size SUV like a Suburban or Yukon that has the capability of lifting or removing the rear seats? Might be big enough and easy enough to rent from all major car carriers.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Have you considered a full-size SUV like a Suburban or Yukon that has the capability of lifting or removing the rear seats? Might be big enough and easy enough to rent from all major car carriers.
In post #3 above, I said this - "The hertz woman I spoke to suggested renting their biggest category of SUV - a Ford Expedition EL, or a chevy Suburban, or GMC Yukon XL ... but I have yet to see what the usable inside dimensions of those vehicles is - probably not good enough. I'd certainly be willing to pay the extra for that solution, just because it would be a smooth ride!"

If I want to rent one-way, I can't remove any seats, so the best I can do is fold everything out of the way. I haven't been able to find any decent info on what space is available. What I need is a space about 4'6" wide, 8-9' deep, and 5' high.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 8:47 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Budget Truck Rental seems to have the option to return your vehicle in another state.
Old Mar 30th 2022, 9:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
.... Fwiw, this is a favorite option for broke grad students and postdocs everywhere, i.e., people who are skint and have the time and inclination to chronically over-research everything. I consider that to be a ringing endorsement ....
I am not sure how I feel about this in a reply to my post, and whether I should take it personally.
Old Mar 31st 2022, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am not sure how I feel about this in a reply to my post, and whether I should take it personally.
If you reached the same conclusion as the broke students and postdocs, that just confirms my suspicion that they always find the most economical solution
Old Mar 31st 2022, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I would look into the option of trailer. You can have trailer hitch installed for 2-3 hundred and have for future use. Custom hitches are made for most vehicles. You can look online at trailers.com or the Reese hitch company. With the low weight of the cargo involved you could even consider buying a small trailer if you have room to store later. Many fold up for storage.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I would look into the option of trailer. You can have trailer hitch installed for 2-3 hundred and have for future use. Custom hitches are made for most vehicles. You can look online at trailers.com or the Reese hitch company. With the low weight of the cargo involved you could even consider buying a small trailer if you have room to store later. Many fold up for storage.
My personal vehicle is already in CA with me, so if I were to want to tow a trailer, I'd have to drive down to AZ to start the return journey, which defeats the primary purpose of avoiding a two-way drive.
Old Apr 2nd 2022, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My personal vehicle is already in CA with me, so if I were to want to tow a trailer, I'd have to drive down to AZ to start the return journey, which defeats the primary purpose of avoiding a two-way drive.
Have you looked at uShip ?

It's a bit like uber; you list the stuff you have that needs to be shipped and get bids on it. Some bids will be from commerical movers while some will be from averages Joes who happen to be travelling past your origin and to your destination. I've only used the service once; needed to ship some exercise equipment that weighed around 130lbs, to Atlanta from the MidWest. The guy who transported it was just an average Joe from this area who happened to be travelling to Atlanta. His price was around 40% lower than the cheapest LTL (Less Than Truckload) price I got from freight forwarders.

Downside is being comfortable sending your stuff with someone you do not know and not a business, but uShip is a very popular transport option.
Old Apr 3rd 2022, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t know how I missed that part. That’s a long drive.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you looked at uShip ?

It's a bit like uber; you list the stuff you have that needs to be shipped and get bids on it. Some bids will be from commerical movers while some will be from averages Joes who happen to be travelling past your origin and to your destination. I've only used the service once; needed to ship some exercise equipment that weighed around 130lbs, to Atlanta from the MidWest. The guy who transported it was just an average Joe from this area who happened to be travelling to Atlanta. His price was around 40% lower than the cheapest LTL (Less Than Truckload) price I got from freight forwarders.

Downside is being comfortable sending your stuff with someone you do not know and not a business, but uShip is a very popular transport option.
Thanks - that's very good to know!
Old Apr 4th 2022, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks - that's very good to know!
You could possibly increase security and decrease volume by buying some of those black plastic containers with the yellow lid from Lowe’s. They can be tightly filled and several tie wraps can hold the lid on. I have used them to ship some airplane parts.

Old Apr 4th 2022, 12:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think your height requirements would be the problem with a Yukon. It's wide enough, and maybe long enough (with the seats folded) but don't think it's that tall.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 5:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

H.... Some bids will be from commerical movers while some will be from averages Joes who happen to be travelling past your origin and to your destination. ..... The guy who transported it was just an average Joe from this area who happened to be travelling to Atlanta. His price was around 40% lower than the cheapest LTL (Less Than Truckload) price I got from freight forwarders. ....
On that basis, Steerpike could try contacting local movers in the SF area asking if they are interested in a small shipment on the return leg from Arizona as there is likely a steady flow of full moving vans from Northern CA to Arizona, and the return leg of most moving van contracts is entirely empty. So if you can schedule a pick up time at the mover's convenience they might be willing to give you a competitive quote considering that their van would be almost certainly empty on the return leg anyway.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 4:46 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

They allow one way and have cargo vans.

https://www.pensketruckrental.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.