British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Recs for car / house insurance? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/recs-car-house-insurance-868926/)

rpjs Dec 7th 2015 9:43 pm

Recs for car / house insurance?

We're currently with State Farm but are near to losing patience with their incompetence.

Are any of you happy with your insurance co. and would recommend them?

robin1234 Dec 7th 2015 9:55 pm

Re: Recs for car / house insurance?

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11809782)
We're currently with State Farm but are near to losing patience with their incompetence.

Are any of you happy with your insurance co. and would recommend them?

We've been with Liberty Mutual, car and house, for many years and have been happy. The house, we simply pay every year, end of story, but the car, we've had a few things, also the usual mid year changes (when we've bought a different car, we've kicked a kid off of our policy, etc.) and they've always been efficient and pleasant to deal with.

Nutmegger Dec 7th 2015 10:58 pm

Look for a local insurance broker who will survey all the options for you, rather than approaching a specific company's office.

kevntrace Dec 24th 2015 8:57 am

Was with AAA for the longest time for both Home & Auto insurance.
We also got earthquake insurance via AAA but they "outsourced" that to CEA.
A couple of years ago I got some "junk" mail from Residence Mutual (based in SoCal) for home and earthquake insurance. The home policy was about $400 cheaper than AAA, but the earthquake policy was about a third of the cost of CEA. So we switched.
Within the first year of the policy we had to make a claim for around $20k due to water damage from a flooded downstairs toilet. While it was a total pain dealing with the insurance claim and obtaining the funds (long story, but the funds had to go into an escrow account and we were limited on how to draw them by the bank owning the mortgage) the insurance company was fair in assessing the damage and we did eventually get the funds.

Rete Dec 24th 2015 12:28 pm

We have Nationwide for our auto and homeowner's and renter's insurance. Quite happy with them. Use their local agent here on McLean Avenue in Yonkers for my auto and renter's and Jim uses his in Mississippi for the homeowners and auto.

They were excellent in dealing with our twice being flooded out by our upstairs neighbor.

lansbury Dec 24th 2015 5:51 pm

If you are over 50 look at AARP/The Hartford. Found them very good to deal with, and they put my sons on the policy when they visit from the UK at no extra charge.