Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Record number of breweries in the USA

Record number of breweries in the USA

Old Feb 9th 2016, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Record number of breweries in the USA

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Trying to find good local beer in Phoenix is really difficult, for example.
Umm, where were you looking?

SanTan, FourPeaks, OHSO, Fate, Huss,... to name but five of my favorite breweries.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I agree and would add that most taste like p....s.

Who adds flowers, berries, honey etc etc to beer!
Nothing wrong with it in some beers...cheery wheat is quite a nice brew.

Honey, makes it easy to crank the fermentation and get it really strong.

As to the Germans, they use loads of fruit in their wheats, bocks and lambics, even if lambics aren't native.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 10:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Fifteen states have more than 100 breweries, CA, WA, CO, OR,MI,NY,PA,IL,TX,OH,FL,VA,NC, WI and IA.
The top type is IPA.

Locally we have larger breweries like Devils Backbone and at the other end small poor quality operations which produce swill.

Personally I do not need chocolate, peppermint and other contaminants in my beer.
I'm surprised Maine isn't on the list, quite a lot of craft outfits. Then again, probably a lot that aren't listed as they don't need a license if they sell less than 100 gallons a year or something like that, as long as it's limited to 6oz glasses on site so you get a lot of mini tap rooms popping up over the summer to hit the fair season kind of thing and then disappear again.

Oh and don't knock a bacon porter...it's pretty good. Slightly smoky salt to it is good in the summer, bit like the salted largers for a session beer, like the Indian style brews.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Went into a few in Denver this pm, they all seemed very busy, colour scheme was a bit monotonous.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:17 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Umm, where were you looking?

SanTan, FourPeaks, OHSO, Fate, Huss,... to name but five of my favorite breweries.
I'm probably speaking from a position of ignorance. I go to PHX about once a month for business and I've noticed that in general restaurant there stock fewer local brews than restaurants in the cities I mention. I'm sure if I actually lived there and knew where to go I'd have a different experience.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm probably speaking from a position of ignorance. I go to PHX about once a month for business and I've noticed that in general restaurant there stock fewer local brews than restaurants in the cities I mention. I'm sure if I actually lived there and knew where to go I'd have a different experience.
That's the same here - there are 120+ breweries in NC but it can be hard to find even one, one single local beer, not even one brewery's products, in most restaurants.

I am pretty disgusted with most restaurants that print "ask about local craft beers" on the menu and not only do they have NONE, the waiters usually don't even seem to know what a craft beer is! There is a HUGE marketing gap that the local craft brewers are missing out on.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's the same here - there are 120+ breweries in NC but it can be hard to find even one, one single local beer, not even one brewery's products, in most restaurants.

I am pretty disgusted with most restaurants that print "ask about local craft beers" on the menu and not only do they have NONE, the waiters usually don't even seem to know what a craft beer is! There is a HUGE marketing gap that the local craft brewers are missing out on.
Not the case in Colorado, some Restaurants have their own local beer brewed with their name on it.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not the case in Colorado, some Restaurants have their own local beer brewed with their name on it.
Right, same here, there are brew-pubs, tap houses, and some brewery restaurants, but all are a tough sell when Mrs P or the in-laws say "lets go out for dinner", especially as Mrs P's father is tee-total! ..... My earlier post concerned mainstream restaurants.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Right, same here, there are brew-pubs, tap houses, and some brewery restaurants, but all are a tough sell when Mrs P or the in-laws say "lets go out for dinner", especially as Mrs P's father is tee-total! ..... My earlier post concerned mainstream restaurants.
That's (one of the many) benefits of living in a beer-crazy city like San Diego: Even mainstream non-beer-geek bars and restaurants tend to have a good selection of local beers. If not draft then certainly in bottles. And I think we've long passed 100 breweries in the county...

It's still an IPA town but there's more diversity than a couple of years go. I've even seen the occasional mild!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:18 am
Account Closed

Ohh, Arby's whatever I assume they would serve crap beer to go with the food.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FinnDiego
That's (one of the many) benefits of living in a beer-crazy city like San Diego: Even mainstream non-beer-geek bars and restaurants tend to have a good selection of local beers. If not draft then certainly in bottles. And I think we've long passed 100 breweries in the county...

It's still an IPA town but there's more diversity than a couple of years go. I've even seen the occasional mild!
I sometimes have issues finding an IPA, never seen a mild.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:29 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

NM has had some craft brews since the early 80s, but it's finally getting more momentum. A few law changes last year helped. Now, a small brewer or winegrower is allowed to also hold a limited wholesaler license, they can have up to three off-site locations now, and can get NM wine or NM beer from each other without going through a wholesaler.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
I sometimes have issues finding an IPA, ....
Are you blind? Just about every craft brewery seems to make an IPA, some make two or three IPAs, a few don't seem to make anything else.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Just looked at my local:

Cream Ala

Pale Ale

Amber

Brown

Milk Stout

One they call an Imperial IPA, not sure where the IPA connection is.

American Pale, which is the one I normally drink

And a IPA.

Plus of course seasonal, Octoberfest, Irish Red etc etc.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:00 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FinnDiego
The same is true here in Chicago. Any reasonable restaurant that serves draft beer will have at least 5-10 local selections, usually some of which are highly local and obscure. Also, there are at least five bar or restaurant options within five miles of my house that have 50+ taps each. Add in the numerous liquor stores that stock at least several hundred varieties each and the ~15 local breweries in my area (four that I can think of in my town center alone) that also have in-house restaurants and it's actually a bit of an overload even for a beer nut like me. As one example: I recently found Racer 5 in a local gas station.

Regarding American beer, there are lots of good domestic pale ales, stouts, porters, wheat beers and barrel-aged stuff. However, I still haven't found anything domestic that compares to a fine German lager, particularly German helles, dunkle or marzen. Also, domestic breweries are still nowhere near the masters of yeast flavors that the Belgians are despite decades of trying. Unibroue in Quebec gets close to Belgian quality but that's about it. These things take time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.