Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Realtor question - seller realtor participation in showings

Realtor question - seller realtor participation in showings

Old May 24th 2017, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Realtor question - seller realtor participation in showings

When you engage a realtor to sell your home, is it common practice for the seller realtor to participate in individual showings (when a potential buyer visits the home with the buyer's realtor)?

Scenario - your home is listed on the MLS, and a buyer shows interest. Buyer contacts their agent (the buyer's agent) who then schedules a 'showing' with the homeowner. Buyer and buyer's agent show up at the house to view (and buyer's agent has access by using the 'lockbox'). Is it common practice for the SELLER realtor not to be a participant in this showing?
Old May 24th 2017, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realtor question - seller realtor participation in showings

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When you engage a realtor to sell your home, is it common practice for the seller realtor to participate in individual showings (when a potential buyer visits the home with the buyer's realtor)?

Scenario - your home is listed on the MLS, and a buyer shows interest. Buyer contacts their agent (the buyer's agent) who then schedules a 'showing' with the homeowner. Buyer and buyer's agent show up at the house to view (and buyer's agent has access by using the 'lockbox'). Is it common practice for the SELLER realtor not to be a participant in this showing?
Yes, I've viewed dozens of properties with just my (buyer's) agent in attendance. A few times the seller's agent has been there too; maybe some sellers are more comfortable with their agent being there as well, although it does make viewing logistics more difficult. Additionally, if it's a large condo building, for example, the seller's agent may be the only one able to get access to the building.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 24th 2017 at 7:54 pm.
Old May 24th 2017, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

On most of my house viewings, it was just me and my agent, not even an attempt to contact the seller's agent. In many cases the owner wasn't home, my agent would call a number to get the access code for the key box. I would feel a bit weird about strangers wandering around my home when I wasn't there. The only time I saw the seller's agent was when I dropped in on an open house.
Old May 24th 2017, 9:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Is it common practice for the SELLER realtor not to be a participant in this showing?
I don't know about "common practice", IME participation by the seller's agent in a showing is unheard of!

In probably well over 100 showings in NC and NY (we were very picky buyers, and just about drove our realtor crazy, I think ), we never saw a sellers agent. That number also includes maybe 30 houses we looked at in NY before deciding that NY wasn't for us and we left without buying.

I think there was one house we saw where our buyers' agent was the sellers' listing agent, but that was as close as we ever came to meeting a sellers' agent before the closing.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 24th 2017 at 9:35 pm.
Old May 24th 2017, 9:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

When we bought our current house, the seller's agent was present at all viewings, as that was the only way the owner permitted it to be shown -- by appointment with the realtor present. In all other house purchases, only our own (buyer's) agent has been present at viewings.
Old May 24th 2017, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so it seems pretty consistent that the seller realtor is not present for showings. That's not my recollection from 22+ years ago, when I last sold a house, but - my memory could be bad or things could have changed.

For 'serious buyers' - those who visit for a second time - I would have thought the seller realtor would want to be there to make sure questions were answered appropriately, but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old May 24th 2017, 9:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... For 'serious buyers' - those who visit for a second time - I would have thought the seller realtor would want to be there to make sure questions were answered appropriately, but clearly that doesn't seem to be the case.
AFAIR all questions were dealt with in writing. Personally I wouldn't place any credibility on verbal answers, especially from the sellers agent, as opposed to the sellers.

A handful of the houses we looked at had tenants who were present at the showing and if we could engage them in conversation it was always interesting to hear from someone who lived in the house but had no interest in the selling of the house.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 24th 2017 at 9:46 pm.
Old May 24th 2017, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so it seems pretty consistent that the seller realtor is not present for showings. That's not my recollection from 22+ years ago, when I last sold a house, but - my memory could be bad or things could have changed.
Maybe they were buyers without an agent? Some buyers approach the listing agent directly and ask them to show them the property and be their agent.
Old May 24th 2017, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen close to 50 houses now and haven't met any of the listing agents.

Our realtor has access to the scheduling system and the lockbox through her smartphone.

We turn up, look around and leave.

All communication is done via our realtor and then relayed to the listing agent (and then the seller).

I close on my house next week and the first time I'll meet the seller and agent will be at the closing attorney's office.
Old May 25th 2017, 2:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
the first time I'll meet the seller and agent will be at the closing attorney's office.
We didn't even do that.
Old May 25th 2017, 6:21 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

The only time we saw a seller's agent was at open houses
Old May 25th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Rarely is the sellers agent present except on some high end properties. I am showing a property tomorrow listed at $4,995,000 and the selling agent will be meeting myself and my client at the property.
Old May 25th 2017, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

When we sold our last house in CO, we had one open house with our sellers agent there, and someone wanted a second look with their buyers agent, and our agent was there to look after our interests. It sold quickly.

This one, our buyers agent sent on the internet, and DH went to an open house, and liked it. Our buyers agent knew the selling agent, got together for us, even though we didn't offer the top money, among about 5 other offers, and it all worked out.
Old May 27th 2017, 12:16 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Seller's agent is usually only present if it's an open house. I thinkit's generally believed to be best if the potential buyer gets to look around without the seller or their agent present. They can take their time and also allows them to feel like it is their future home rather than the home of the present owner if that makes sense?
Old May 27th 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by joto
.... and our agent was there to look after our interests. ....
What does that mean/ what did your agent do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.