Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Really need some advice on US/UK marriage break down.

Wikiposts

Really need some advice on US/UK marriage break down.

Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really need some advice on US/UK marriage break down.

Originally Posted by Sabrielle
He has no family that will help and currently looking for work
It might not look like it from your perspective, but in that case you have a fairly strong hand, because you're playing at home, and he is going to find it tough to even be heard, never mind have strong representation.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:35 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Another issue is whether you really trust him to return your daughter to you if/when she does visit him in the USA. It could be better to request him to visit her rather than the other way around.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I have contacted mediation and will be making a appointment asap. We have never lived in US my daughter has never been there on vacation before. I will not let her stay with him over the summer with out explicit legal instructions protecting us. I can't afford a solicitor I am paying off debts that he has left me in. But I will get legal help and see if perhaps my family could help me with legal costs.
I hear what you are saying about debts, but I would class this as "good debt". Some good resources have already been suggested about getting good quality advice.

As Pulaski says, you currently hold the upper hand don't let that advantage slip away.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Also please see if you qualify for legal aid. https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/overview
Old Oct 31st 2014, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at your previous posts and you seem to have a rather complicated history. I think you should sit tight and not give up anything without a court order to do so. You must get legal advice.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I will get a court order I will get everything signed and crossed before I even let him have her. I am going about this carefully and I am getting advice now. I am really ill today (due to the stress) but I did go CAB and they did refer me to Mediation. I am going to speak to my grandad (tomorrow) I am his carer and I think he will help me as this is something really important. I'm going to start this asap as I don't want any crap later down the line.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I will get a court order I will get everything signed and crossed before I even let him have her. I am going about this carefully and I am getting advice now. I am really ill today (due to the stress) but I did go CAB and they did refer me to Mediation. I am going to speak to my grandad (tomorrow) I am his carer and I think he will help me as this is something really important. I'm going to start this asap as I don't want any crap later down the line.
CAB is a good start. Did you look into the legal aid?

How will mediation work if he can't enter the UK?
Old Oct 31st 2014, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
CAB is a good start. Did you look into the legal aid?

How will mediation work if he can't enter the UK?
I honestly don't know, because CAB referred me there and said I'd need to speak to them as they would have more information. I have been out this evening at a party with my daughter but I will look up the legal aid now on that link now before I go to sleep.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Another issue is whether you really trust him to return your daughter to you if/when she does visit him in the USA. It could be better to request him to visit her rather than the other way around.
The issue being that I actually have family in the USA and in Canada and would like to visit them I was supposed to be going in the summer holidays but if I can't get this sorted we won't be able to go. I'm going to try and draw something up with him and if I have to use an international solicitor to make my daughter safe so be it.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. Tomorrow (as obviously over the weekend could not) I am contacting mediation and also a solicitor. My grandad is going to help me with the costs as even if I didn't pay bills I would not have enough money at the moment as my soon to be ex husband has left me pretty financially wiped out..
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Far better to use the holiday money for a solicitor since the legal situation, I would assume, is a higher priority.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

There is no holiday money I was going to be saving in jan and of course the legal situation is top priority! I was really typing as I was thinking as I haven't slept much. But yes I agree. This is what I need to sort first.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Probably doesn't really need to be pointed out but don't forget that what your ex did to your finances is also evidence. If you can document it even better.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Probably doesn't really need to be pointed out but don't forget that what your ex did to your finances is also evidence. If you can document it even better.
Agreed, and the circumstances as to how he came to abandon you, ..... indicates unstable/ unreliable personality, unsuited to care for a child, even on a temporary basis!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Although you may never see the money, you should also file for a child support order. In the US, if there is a child support order, someone is a "deadbeat dad", and the spouse is eligible for welfare, the state will pay part of the child support and pursue the deadbeat dad for repayment to the state and assist in collecting the full support.

Although you aren't living in the US and he is probably broke, the UK has a treaty with most if not all states to collect child support for a UK partner. In the future, the state will try to collect back child support if he is earning enough money. Usually the state won't let him register a car and possibly not renew his driver's license unless he clears up the child support arrears and in rare cases, put him in jail if they think he is hiding the money. If he's working, they may possibly garnish part of his income.

By filing for child support, the UK government may possibly also give you greater financial assistance.

From everything I can see he has not taken on his financial responsibility for the child, hasn't had contact for three years, and therefore the judge should give him very little credibility about what he wants especially since you are in jurisdiction and he is out of jurisdiction. The only real leverage that he would have is if you wanted to leave jurisdiction and he wanted to remain in jurisdiction but that's not the case.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 2nd 2014 at 4:53 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.