Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Real English Fish and Chips in KS ?

Wikiposts

Real English Fish and Chips in KS ?

Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:48 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real English Fish and Chips in KS ?

Originally Posted by Rete
If you're ever in NYC, instead of going to fish and chip places in Manhattan take the Metro-North train to the Woodlawn section of the Bronx. Walk a few blocks up from the station to Katonah Avenue in the Bronx or McLean Avenue will intersects it in Yonkers. Our Irish Pubs are owned and operated by the Irish and all our restaurants here offer fish and chips. No mushy peas but instead they offer Heinz beans. You can buy cans of mushy peas in any of the shops along the Avenue. Yes, you will get the tartar sauce as pictured but as an American, I like it. No cocktail sauce offered. All tables are served malt vinegar along with some type of (to me) foreign steak sauce. Someone just opened a Fish and Chips shop on the avenue and they are doing a landmark business.
Had some lovely fish and chips in Westchester more than once - Pete's in Elmsford if you're ever in the area. Just a local bar but do good food in general
Old Mar 1st 2016, 5:22 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

They're not real fish and chips unless they're served wrapped a page of the News of the world, soaked in vinegar and doused with salt
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:18 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
They're not real fish and chips unless they're served wrapped a page of the News of the world, soaked in vinegar and doused with salt
Which was more or less my point from the start. You can get good fish in the US, served with fries, and it can be very good, but I have never found anywhere that captures the essential essence of the deep fried fish in batter with chip-shop-chips.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:45 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which was more or less my point from the start. You can get good fish in the US, served with fries, and it can be very good, but I have never found anywhere that captures the essential essence of the deep fried fish in batter with chip-shop-chips.
When's the last time you had good tacos or good Italian beef sandwiches in the UK?
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
When's the last time you had good tacos or good Italian beef sandwiches in the UK?
I haven't, which is the same point!
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 4:11 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'd find them anywhere here. It's essentially British just like a genuine pork pie. Cant be copied and cant be beat
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 4:14 am

.... like a genuine pork pie. .....
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 6:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few proper chippies in the US (with proper chip shop chips like you'd find in the UK). Maybe we should start a chippy wiki?

A Salt & Battery Home in Greenwich Village

British Cuisine Bennington, VT - Lil' Britain Fish & Chip Shop in Bennington, VT

Home Page in Santa Barbara

Used to be one in Allston (Boston), but got shut down due to a health code violation. There must be more - albeit rare as hell I grant you.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be one in Richmond ME called Ye Olde English Fish and Chip Shoppe, which was run by a Welsh guy :-)
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 3:55 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had "proper fish and chips" in a bar anywhere in the US, nor in a restaurant, they're not bad, they're just not fish and chips.
Next time you're in Charleston visit the Codfather.....

Best Fish n Chips hands down! ` - Review of The CODfather, North Charleston, SC - TripAdvisor
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 6:57 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps not British or British inspired, but the best fish & chips I've had:
Grouper & Chips • Naples, FL
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 10:17 am
Banned

H. Salt fish and chips nearest I've come to anything like back home. The proprietors at the H. Salt nearest me are Chinese but they do a very good job.

The best fish and chips I tasted were from a hole in the wall place on a side street near Wimbledon Railway station. The owners were a Greek couple

Last edited by dc koop; Mar 3rd 2016 at 10:21 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:02 am

H. Salt fish and chips nearest I've come to anything like back home. The proprietors at the H. Salt nearest me are Chinese but they do a very good job.

The best fish and chips I tasted were from a hole in the wall place on a side street near Wimbledon Railway station. The owners were a Greek couple
Are you certain it was Wimbledon? The best fish & chips I have had were one station further out than Wimbledon - a couple of minutes walk from Raynes Park station, and the owners were a Greek couple. The business passed to their children, who still run it, and the fish and chips are still every bit as good - we made a point of stopping there when we visited London in the summer of 2014.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fishemoores

Coventry

Hands down
Old Mar 4th 2016, 4:22 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I am very extremely extra specially lucky. Almost literally round the corner from where I live is Art's Fish & Chips, owned by a lovely couple who have run it for nearly 40 years. Proper batter, chip-chop chips, available options include mushy peas, proper tartare sauce, and sometimes they have pickled eggs avaialble too. Of course, as a sop to the fact that this is Canada, you can have poutine instead of regular chips.

The batter is made, and the potatoes cut, in-house; usually you'll have your fish battered and cooked to order. I tend to go for lingcod (called Alaska White for some reason), or sometimes cod or haddock. Occasionally I'll splash out on halibut.

Mmmmm. I think this evening's supper decision has been made...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.