Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Read a brilliant book today ....

Read a brilliant book today ....

Old May 9th 2012, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Peter525839 will become famous soon enoughPeter525839 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Read a brilliant book today ....

I thought there was a book thread somewhere but cant find it
Anyway highly recommend Black Diamonds Catherine Bailey.
Its the story of Wenworth House near Sheffield. Factual account as best she can piece together of 200 yrs of history.
Brilliant
Old May 9th 2012, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter525839
Anyway highly recommend Black Diamonds Catherine Bailey.
Its the story of Wenworth House near Sheffield. Factual account as best she can piece together of 200 yrs of history.
Brilliant
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743539
Old May 9th 2012, 7:50 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by robin1234
So why are you buying books?
I love buying books and I like to have my own library. I buy almost all my books at Amazon.com, which I find the most convenient for my needs.

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh-oh, now I'm worried the book won't live up to my recommendation of it.
Don't worry. If I hate a book, I either return it to Amazon or if the return period has expired, I will sell it on their website.

Originally Posted by Peter525839
There is, but as I only visit the Trailer Park, I thought I would start my own thread here.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:55 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone remember the Margaret Powell series of books from the late sixties to early seventies? Due to the popularity of Downton Abbey, these books have been republished. Margaret writes about her ten years in service from around 1922-1932.

I read them all in England when they came out, but had completely forgotten about them until I recently bought them. I have enjoyed them immensely. Margaret has a very chatty, down-to-earth style of writing and her accounts of life below stairs are very interesting. A normal day of hard work was from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. with Wednesday afternoons off and one Sunday afternoon off per month!

At one time Powell was ubiquitous on British television. She had a very amusing personality and she was popular on chat shows and the like, but I can only find one link (when she did a TV ad).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQvRdJL-kZc
Old May 11th 2012, 7:14 pm
Banned

Just finished reading this fascinating very sad book ...

http://www.amazon.com/102-Minutes-Un...6763306&sr=1-1

Incredible story at the beginning of the book. When the Twin Towers were bombed in 1993, the terrorists rented a van in which they drove the bomb into the WTC. After the bomb detonated (and killed 6 people), the next day the bombers returned to the van rental place and asked for a refund on the van they'd just blown up.
Old May 16th 2012, 7:32 pm
Banned

I'm now reading the autobiography of Mary Quant, the iconoclastic fashion designer. Born in 1934 and still going strong. Her two favorite models are Jean Shrimpton and Kate Moss. Mine too.

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Quant-Aut...7196708&sr=1-1