British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Prudish Americans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/prudish-americans-530849/)

dh010447 Apr 20th 2008 11:16 pm

Prudish Americans

So, anyone else think that in general - Americans a prudes?

Nudity on TV? haven't seen ANY since I have been in the US, and when they have nudity, its blurred out.

Was speaking to a colleague at work the other week and she freaked out when I told her about the English Gardens in Munich, Germany (nude sunbathing) the 'propper' sauna's over in Europe and the fact that pretty much all beaches in the UK are fine with topless sunbathing.

Went to the public swimming pool the other week. There was no cubical's - just a male and female changing room. None of the toilets were available because people were changing in them (mmm... Nice, rather stand in pee than have someone of the same sex see some flesh) and the only other guy getting changed in the room managed to get dried and completely changed without taking his towel off.

Wife came out of the female changing room and said pretty much the same thing - made her feel so uncomfortable that she too went and changed in the toilet cubicle.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an exhibitionist or anything, but are Americans really so inhibited and self conscious?

Oh - and to go back to the TV thing, its perfectly OK to have people getting killed, blown up, hacked up and any other violence you can think off...

lisa67 Apr 21st 2008 12:26 am

Re: Prudish Americans

Totally agree with you. It suprised me when we first came here, but I'm used to it now. Trying to get my daughter and son to be more *european* though is a struggle.

TruBrit Apr 21st 2008 12:30 am

[QUOTE=dh010447;6239830] Americans a prudes?

QUOTE]

yep big time ...i'd love to see this lot around me at an ann summers party :rofl:

dh010447 Apr 21st 2008 12:31 am

[QUOTE=TruBrit;6240035]

Originally Posted by dh010447 (Post 6239830)
Americans a prudes?

QUOTE]

yep big time ...i'd love to see this lot around me at an ann summers party :rofl:

Oh my god - that would be so funny...

... although I would have to admit, being a guy I would be slightly uncomfortable... lol

TruBrit Apr 21st 2008 12:33 am

Originally Posted by dh010447 (Post 6240040)

Oh my god - that would be so funny...

... although I would have to admit, being a guy I would be slightly uncomfortable... lol

we had guys at the last one i went to in the uk ...we all had a great time, the guys esp :lol:

Bluegrass Lass Apr 21st 2008 12:39 am

You've peaked my interest now. What is an "Ann Summers" party?

md95065 Apr 21st 2008 12:41 am

Oh - and to go back to the TV thing, its perfectly OK to have people getting killed, blown up, hacked up and any other violence you can think off...

Yes, but you still can't say "****" on broadcast television in the US ... :huh:

... and amazingly enough apparently you can't say it in this forum either ...

TruBrit Apr 21st 2008 12:41 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 6240075)
You've peaked my interest now. What is an "Ann Summers" party?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Summers

Bluegrass Lass Apr 21st 2008 12:43 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6240081)

Oooh..I like those! Always leave with something, er uh, fun. :thumbup:

dh010447 Apr 21st 2008 1:00 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6240045)
we had guys at the last one i went to in the uk ...we all had a great time, the guys esp :lol:

... hmm - could be interesting :)

Bluegrass Lass Apr 21st 2008 1:05 am

Originally Posted by dh010447 (Post 6240125)
... hmm - could be interesting :)

In my experience, the ones where your OH attends are usually the most fun. :thumbsup:

lapin_windstar Apr 21st 2008 1:19 am

Jack Nicholson's got an old gag about it being OK to slice a tit off in a movie, but if you kiss it, you're in trouble.

(I'm paraphrasing).

Juswus Apr 21st 2008 2:11 am

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 6240175)
Jack Nicholson's got an old gag about it being OK to slice a tit off in a movie, but if you kiss it, you're in trouble.

(I'm paraphrasing).

that is so true. And it does my head in. :mad:

elfman Apr 21st 2008 2:18 am

Nudity on TV? haven't seen ANY since I have been in the US, and when they have nudity, its blurred out.

So you obviously don't have premium cable them. No such censorship on HBO, Showtime, etc.

Kaffy Mintcake Apr 21st 2008 2:22 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 6240274)
So you obviously don't have premium cable them. No such censorship on HBO, Showtime, etc.

HBO and Showtime are so superior to anything on network TV. The worst thing we ever did was sign up for them - there's no going back now! :)