British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Problems with Morgan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/problems-morgan-380014/)

Scott Mumford Jun 18th 2006 9:17 am

Problems with Morgan

This is Morgan.
He likes to hunt and has this thing about leaving me dead things at the back door.
Once in a while I will find a dead Mole but yesterday I found a Mouse in …not so nice condition.
Actually.... the mouse was in two parts…. What am I supposed to do with that? Reassemble?
I would like him to stop doing this but have no idea how to stop him.
I'd have a talk with him but I don't think that will do much good.

Any thoughts on what to do?

http://www.neflnewhomes.com/scott/morgan1.jpg

http://www.neflnewhomes.com/scott/morgan2.jpg

Pulaski Jun 18th 2006 12:22 pm

Re: Problems with Morgan

Originally Posted by Scott Mumford
..... I would like him to stop doing this but have no idea how to stop him. .....

Morgan is doing what cats will do. I don't believe that there is any way to stop him, and to try would be cruel - cats kill small animals, it's in their nature. You might as well try to stop a dog from fetching things, or a bird from cheeping. :rolleyes:

BTW He's a fine looking cat! :)

anotherlimey Jun 18th 2006 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Morgan is doing what cats will do. I don't believe that there is any way to stop him, and to try would be cruel - cats kill small animals, it's in their nature. You might as well try to stop a dog from fetching things, or a bird from cheeping. :rolleyes:

BTW He's a fine looking cat! :)

I agree, I doubt there's much you can do; my old cat used to do this too, mice, rabbits and once he brought home a pheasant. :o

They are gifts to you apparently.

Paul S Jun 18th 2006 4:27 pm

just doing what comes naturally.

When we lived in Scotland, every morning was a surprise.

Think we've had
half eaten kebabs
items of childrens clothing (nope don't even want to know where they got them from)
chips
mice
rats
frogs
rabbits (some alive, mostly not)
blackbirds (same as the rabbits)
seagulls :eek: :eek: , thankfully dead (no way i was taking on an injured half alive one :D )

I'd let him get on with it ;)

DollyLlama Jun 18th 2006 5:12 pm

My friend had this problem, so she got a small bell that attaches to the cat's collar. didn't stop the cat trying to catch the prey but it gave the prey a fighting chance because the noise of the bell alerted them.

snorkmaiden Jun 18th 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Mumford
This is Morgan.
He likes to hunt and has this thing about leaving me dead things at the back door.
Once in a while I will find a dead Mole but yesterday I found a Mouse in …not so nice condition.
Actually.... the mouse was in two parts…. What am I supposed to do with that? Reassemble?
I would like him to stop doing this but have no idea how to stop him.
I'd have a talk with him but I don't think that will do much good.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Not really, I keep mine inside so they just bring me toys. On the upside, it means he really likes you, he's bringing you gifts. He's a lovely looking boy.

Sarah Jun 18th 2006 9:47 pm

Aww nice orange kitty.

NC Penguin Jun 18th 2006 10:43 pm

Something left me a squirrel's head on the garden path in front of my house one day, a few weeks ago. It's eyes were open too! :eek:

NC Penguin

snowbunny Jun 18th 2006 10:45 pm

Please be aware that there are a lot of people who don't like cats for irrational and rational reasons (they kill songbirds), and who trap them and kill them.

Being outdoors unsupervised, if the cat can get out of your garden, is a huge risk and shortens the cat's life. Especially at Halloween when some pranksters think it's hugely funny to assassinate cats. :(

gruffbrown Jun 18th 2006 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Being outdoors unsupervised, if the cat can get out of your garden, is a huge risk and shortens the cat's life. Especially at Halloween when some pranksters think it's hugely funny to assassinate cats. :(

We've got a house cat, which is another story altogether...grrr :o We sometimes see the neighbourhood cats walking around with Chipmunks in their mouths. So where do you draw the line with animals? Is it OK that pets eat wild animals? I prefer Chipmunks to Cats :cool: Babble over.

Jerseygirl Jun 18th 2006 11:28 pm

I'm a dog person myself. Don't really care for cats...wouldn't wish them any harm though.

Jan Alaska Jun 19th 2006 12:12 am

1 Attachment(s)
Meet Bear .. our stealth cat who has helped with the annihilation of our chipmunks and squirrels, we usually find odd tails and other body parts in the barn but hes only doing what he knows best.

Sounds like Morgan is just doing what he knows best too :)

Jan

Yorkieabroad Jun 19th 2006 2:06 am

I've heard that chopping their tackle off can help......not saying I'd condone it, but thats what I'd heard......

DollyLlamas idea of a bell souds a bit more cat-friendly, although it'd have to be a bloody big bell to do anything about PaulS's problem with half eaten kebabs :D

anotherlimey Jun 19th 2006 2:12 am

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
My friend had this problem, so she got a small bell that attaches to the cat's collar. didn't stop the cat trying to catch the prey but it gave the prey a fighting chance because the noise of the bell alerted them.

We tried that, no luck; he came home with a rabbit two days later.

peterbainham Jun 19th 2006 3:27 pm

My Mum's cat became very attached to half a mouse (the back end if you must ask). We're not sure what he did with the other half or if he merely found it like that. We buried it twice but the crafty bugger kept finding it and bringing it back to us. It's not very flattering being out-smarted by a cat.