a thoroughly modern president
75.51%
a dork
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

President Obama

Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Obama

Originally Posted by fakey
What do you think he should be blamed for ?
ISIS... Or are we keeping that for the elections so we can blame Hillary?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:16 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

You also have an average 30,000 deaths a year from gun violence including daily rampages & massacres- largely perpetrated using legally owned guns.
It would seem to me that any responsible gun owner would agree with the minimal changes in the law, but instead the gun lobby totally oppose any increased regulation on gun ownership. 'Only the criminals have guns' is not the current situation & with over 300 million guns already in circulation, neither is it likely to be any time in the near future.
For my part I see Obama's suggestion that full background checks need to be carried out across the board (and that includes gun shows which at present are not) as being reasonable and sensible. I don't believe he has any long term desire to ban them completely

I think the NRA see Obama as a dangerous liberal with a bag full of ulterior motives up his sleeve. On the other hand the NRA and the right wing conservatives seem to have become paranoid about the whole issue

It was interesting to hear Obama remark that 2/3 of gun deaths were caused by suicide. I'm sure that anyone who wants to off themself will find an alternative method anyway.

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 6th 2016 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
For my part I see Obama's suggestion that full background checks need to be carried out across the board (and that includes gun shows which at present are not) as being reasonable and sensible. I don't believe he has any long term desire to ban them completely

I think the NRA see Obama as a dangerous liberal with a bag full of ulterior motives up his sleeve. On the other hand the NRA and the right wing conservatives seem to have become paranoid about the whole issue

It was interesting to hear Obama remark that 2/3 of gun deaths were caused by suicide. I'm sure that anyone who wants to off themself will find an alternative method anyway.
I think you are right largely - and the nra & gop have found that maintaining a level of hysteria suits their agenda- as with most other issues
Re suicide though- I think a readily available gun probably makes suicide much easier & therefore increases the likelihood- guns are present in a high proportion of incidences - would have thought there was a connection
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:29 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, are you in favour of total open carry laws like just got passed in Texas ?
To me, that is as worrying or more than the 'NRA only criminals have guns' fantasy.
A high percentage of regular humans can't barely be trusted with driving a Honda Civic to the mall, let alone walking the streets with a lethal weapon
I'm not in favour of total open carry laws. Permits should only be issued for those who have good reason to carry a firearm in public.

I'd feel pretty stupid myself carrying a gun around in a holster. I can just hear things like "whose that old fart think he is, Mat Dillon"?

That said there's plenty of truth in the theory that if the government declared a total ban on firearms and required all gun owners to hand them in then that would leave the criminal with firearms. Criminals don't care about laws and governments don't have a very good record of running and overseeing things efficiently

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 6th 2016 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting statistic, and well done Obama for raising it.

Many suicides are impulsive mistakes. Guns facilitate an effective sudden death. It's especially appealing to people who use guns. I had a 19 yo friend who died this way (many years back). So I disagree with the alternative argument - some will, many won't.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:51 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, are you in favour of total open carry laws like just got passed in Texas ?
You are aware that Texas is the 45th state to allow open carry, right?

To me, that is as worrying or more than the 'NRA only criminals have guns' fantasy.
I've never read or heard that statement by the NRA.

A high percentage of regular humans can't barely be trusted with driving a Honda Civic to the mall, let alone walking the streets with a lethal weapon
Ahh, then lets ban the Honda Civic! Something we can all get behind for sure.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in favour of total open carry laws. Permits should only be issued for those who have good reason to carry a firearm in public.

I'd feel pretty stupid myself carrying a gun around in a holster. I can just hear things like "whose that old fart think he is, Mat Dillon"?
tly
Hey, if you harbour a secret yearning to go around impersonating Matt Dillon, go ahead dude. Its all good 👍

As for your second point though - its pure theory & fantasy surely. Can you see any US gov attempting to do that ?
Thats just NRA/GOP/ fox news brainwashing
Old Jan 6th 2016, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thinbrit
You are aware that Texas is the 45th state to allow open carry, right?

I've never read or heard that statement by the NRA.

Ahh, then lets ban the Honda Civic! Something we can all get behind for sure.
http://wordpress.carthrottle.com/wp-...uck-norris.jpg
Open carry is legal in 45 states ?
If you say so -

The 'if you criminalise gun ownership only criminals will have guns' trope is constantly trotted out by pro gun people

Imho half the people driving in the US shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel. Or maybe it should be treated not as a right but a privilege. Tens of thousands of deaths a year. Millions of morons. Chuck Norris. Whatever.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:01 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, very good point on Iran and Cuba. The way the GOP perceives Iran beggars belief.
HA!!! They are certainly to be trusted as just been displayed yet once again. 🙄
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Shard
Interesting statistic, and well done Obama for raising it.

Many suicides are impulsive mistakes. Guns facilitate an effective sudden death. It's especially appealing to people who use guns. I had a 19 yo friend who died this way (many years back). So I disagree with the alternative argument - some will, many won't.
Sad as it is using a gun is probably the best way. I know someone who had a suicide land on the hood of his car and then fall under it. Jumped from a freeway overpass during rush hour. That person I know now has insomnia and fits of depression.

A co-worker at my place took it upon himself to come in during the weekend when everyone was off and hang himself in a room above the showers. He was found on the Monday and those who found him and knew him had to receive counseling afterwards.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The 'if you criminalise gun ownership only criminals will have guns' trope is constantly trotted out by pro gun people
It's a silly argument when you look at the countries that have implemented widespread gun bans and thus left themselves with only criminals having guns. UK and Australia have both seen very few mass shootings since.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:30 pm
Banned

Hey, if you harbour a secret yearning to go around impersonating Matt Dillon, go ahead dude. Its all good 👍

As for your second point though - its pure theory & fantasy surely. Can you see any US gov attempting to do that ?
Thats just NRA/GOP/ fox news brainwashing
No I cannot and it would be impossible to do anyway. Apart from making it universally mandatory to have background checks properly done and safety devices fixed to firearms to prevent kids accidentally shooting themselves I don't see any solution to the problem. Sad to say there will be other shootings with or without background checks. It's just the way life is. Drunken driving, alcohol, tobacco and drug abuse kill a lot more people every year than guns do
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It's a silly argument when you look at the countries that have implemented widespread gun bans and thus left themselves with only criminals having guns. UK and Australia have both seen very few mass shootings since.
Guns were never part of the UK or Australian culture anyway and people in those countries have the mindset that they have no right to own them. I thought it was pretty stupid that after Dunblane owners of pistols who were members of shooting clubs had to turn them in.

That could also be interpreted as paranoia on the part of the government comparable to the paranoia of the GOP and the NRA
Old Jan 6th 2016, 9:50 pm
Banned

Open carry is legal in 45 states ?
If you say so -

Imho half the people driving in the US shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel. Or maybe it should be treated not as a right but a privilege. Tens of thousands of deaths a year. Millions of morons. Chuck Norris. Whatever.
I've been driving for fifty years. I've seen a lot worse drivers than in the US.

The French, Italians and Spanish are maniacs. The Germans are speed freaks. Ever seen a pile up on an Autobahn? Unbelievable mess

I cant speak for the whole US but I've driven everywhere in California, driven around the northwest and the southwest and the driving has been of a pretty good standard overall
Old Jan 6th 2016, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

.... and the driving has been of a pretty good standard overall

Funniest post of the day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.