British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   pre-employment psychological testing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/pre-employment-psychological-testing-620130/)

mellybrown Jul 14th 2009 5:23 pm

pre-employment psychological testing

I am so pissed off. I had the 2nd interview for a job i desperately want today, the first part was a regular interview and then the 2nd part was some psychological tests - these things annoy the crap out of me!!! So i know im supposed to answer honestly and not put what I think they want me to say....so I do that....I dont know why the woman was timing me..thankfully im not a slow reader!! But the last test was some complete bas*ard of a tes - mental arithmatic!!!! No I do not know how to divide or multiply 65788 by 35333 - why would I need to when I can use a calculator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a horrible feeling that just cost me the job and I am PISSED off!!!

:frown:

meauxna Jul 14th 2009 5:34 pm

Re: pre-employment psychological testing

I once had to have my astrological chart done and analyzed by the workers before I could get hired.
Talk about out of your control!

The last one of those I did, like yours, one question was 'Do you ever think about ways to steal money?' or something equally stupid and I answered yes, which raised all sorts of eyebrows and actually disqualified me for the job. I explained it by saying "I'm a business owner and manager, of course I think about that.. if I am not thinking ahead of the people working with/for me, how can I protect against loss?". They loved the shit out of that. :lol:

sambapink Jul 14th 2009 5:48 pm

I did something similar to that recently Melly - it was an online application with an assessment attached. The questions were - Do you strongly agree, agree, neither agree or disagree, disagree or strongly disagree with the following statements :frown: I can't remember the questions exactly, but I know some of them I neither agreed or disagreed with, and I am sure thats the worst type of answer to give. If it were a face to face interview I could have explained myself.. anyway the computer said NO :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear you didn't get it Mel :(

MandyNi Jul 14th 2009 6:04 pm

A lot of psychometric tests are timed, especially numerical and verbal reasoning tests. For those type it's about the accuracy and speed of response, for personality testing it tends to be about forcing you to go with your first, and usually most accurate, response. They are scored based on sets of "norms" - averages if you will - and you are placed in a percentile. So you could score 10 and be in the 80th percentile, i.e. 80% of that norm group (e.g. high school educated or administrative workers or general managers) would score this.

Hope that helps but if not just pm me and I'll try to do better!! :blink: I administer and score these pretty often in work.

The_English_Bride Jul 14th 2009 6:40 pm

Is it me or are interviews getting ridiculous, especially considering the job you are applying for. Most of the time they want you to prove you can do something that is totally unrelated to whether you can do the job you're applying for. Anyone ever done one of those horrible group interviews? I was talking to one of my friends about those just yesterday. I can't stand those ice breakers they always make you do! Plus, it's super awkward because the people you're getting to know and have to work as a team with in the interview are the very people you're competing with for the job. :blink:

MandyNi Jul 14th 2009 6:59 pm

Ohhh gawd I thought the days of "group" interviewing was long gone. I've done a few of those in the past but I have to say both personally and professionally I think their usefulness is seriously limited.

I did one for M&S years ago and after my initial contributions the loud mouth in the group just ranted and took over, at which point I totally disengaged from the activity!! Not good for me but I just couldn't be arsed trying to negotiate with a PIA who I didn't know and was not going to see again. I didn't want the job that much! :thumbdown:

Bob Jul 14th 2009 7:08 pm

Can't you do really shit on the test and then sue them for discrimination? :D

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 14th 2009 7:46 pm

Surprised they did it on the 2nd interview though, most companies use these to disqualify people from an interview at all to save time, and not have to actually look at as many applications.

Even very low paid jobs use these tests now, I know Target does and when I worked for them in 2004 my store was paying 6.75/hr. But the test basically did the hiring, score above a certain level, you were hired, blelow and they never looked at you, and you had to pass a drug screen as well.

I think some Wal-Mart stores are using them now as well.

MandyNi Jul 14th 2009 7:52 pm

I'm not surprised that most organisations are using them. Typically when unemployment rises you more applicants per job (recently our organisation got 300+ for an administrative post, in the preceeding six to eight years you could have expected around 40/60). When that occurs you definitely need to do something to screen out applicants.

It can be very very harsh, such as ruling out someone for using blue pen when the application asks it to be completed in black, but as someone who has routinely been involved in recruitment and selection, shortlisting from a 300 list is days of worth of time that recruiters typically don't have. So I'm also surprised that they left it to 2nd stage but I expect that testing will be more en vogue for a while to come.

mellybrown Jul 14th 2009 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7752556)
Can't you do really shit on the test and then sue them for discrimination? :D

Thats what my sister said to do!!

Originally Posted by MandyNi (Post 7752652)
I'm not surprised that most organisations are using them. Typically when unemployment rises you more applicants per job (recently our organisation got 300+ for an administrative post, in the preceeding six to eight years you could have expected around 40/60). When that occurs you definitely need to do something to screen out applicants.

It can be very very harsh, such as ruling out someone for using blue pen when the application asks it to be completed in black, but as someone who has routinely been involved in recruitment and selection, shortlisting from a 300 list is days of worth of time that recruiters typically don't have. So I'm also surprised that they left it to 2nd stage but I expect that testing will be more en vogue for a while to come.

Well the first interview was a group thing - i guess as they had so many people apply, they gave the company spiell in groups, then had a quick chat with everyone, then did call backs - today was the callback - 15 min interview and the evil tests - then i guess they will do call backs again

of which i dont expect to get one:sneaky:

Im still really pissed off!!

MandyNi Jul 14th 2009 9:06 pm

Well I know lots of people who think they are rubbish at the tests and still get jobs so try not to prejudge yourself.

The more you do them the less they bother you, I know that for a fact, but it doesn't stop them from pissing you off MB, the only thing that might help is to take a large dose of whatever alcoholic beverage is your preference and say "f***n tests" afterwards!;)

mellybrown Jul 14th 2009 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by MandyNi (Post 7752797)
Well I know lots of people who think they are rubbish at the tests and still get jobs so try not to prejudge yourself.

The more you do them the less they bother you, I know that for a fact, but it doesn't stop them from pissing you off MB, the only thing that might help is to take a large dose of whatever alcoholic beverage is your preference and say "f***n tests" afterwards!;)

Im cracking open a bottle of vino as we speak....

None of the test would have bothered me if it hadnt been for the stupid maths questions!!!!! I told them they should see it as a positive that i am not afraid to admit defeat and use a calculator hahaha

Pharrya Jul 14th 2009 11:53 pm

I've only ever had to do one of these once, and it was for a large international bank in the City of London. I didn't get the job, but it did get a copy of my 'psychological profile' from the day and that was the biggest load of crap going.

But the Math's questions -Don't they teach long multiplication in school anymore?

Btw. 65788 by 35333 is 2,324,487,404

mellybrown Jul 15th 2009 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Pharrya (Post 7753092)
I've only ever had to do one of these once, and it was for a large international bank in the City of London. I didn't get the job, but it did get a copy of my 'psychological profile' from the day and that was the biggest load of crap going.

But the Math's questions -Don't they teach long multiplication in school anymore?

Btw. 65788 by 35333 is 2,324,487,404

well ive not been in school for over 11 years.....and ive not done any long multiplication since then!!!!!!

Kaffy Mintcake Jul 15th 2009 1:01 am

Originally Posted by MandyNi (Post 7752534)
Ohhh gawd I thought the days of "group" interviewing was long gone. I've done a few of those in the past but I have to say both personally and professionally I think their usefulness is seriously limited.

I did one for M&S years ago and after my initial contributions the loud mouth in the group just ranted and took over, at which point I totally disengaged from the activity!! Not good for me but I just couldn't be arsed trying to negotiate with a PIA who I didn't know and was not going to see again. I didn't want the job that much! :thumbdown:

They can be really telling though. It's amazing how quickly people forget they are in an interviewing situation and take on the roles they might at work. I wouldn't use it in isolation, but do think it has some benefits.