British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Poll: Are You Off Friday and Monday? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/poll-you-off-friday-monday-617790/)

Rete Jul 1st 2009 12:33 pm

Poll: Are You Off Friday and Monday?

Trying to find out just how many companies are being generous this Independence Day weekend and giving their employees both Friday and Monday off, with pay, to celebrate the 4th of July.

Bluegrass Lass Jul 1st 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Poll: Are You Off Friday and Monday?

Hmmm...I don't fit into either of those. My company is open 24/7 throughout the entire holiday weekend. However, I'm lucky enough to get Friday off since I'm part of the Admin staff.

Juswus Jul 1st 2009 1:24 pm

We are open 24/365 so none apply.
Having said that, I am actually off as family are coming, but I had to take it as vacation

AdobePinon Jul 1st 2009 1:31 pm

Why would they give you both days off?

Stockton Jul 1st 2009 1:45 pm

I have Friday off and I know a lot of companies that are normally working on Saturdays have the 4th off, but I haven't heard of anyone having the Monday off as well.

melody32 Jul 1st 2009 1:52 pm

We have Friday off only.

Rete Jul 1st 2009 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 7715143)
Why would they give you both days off?

Occasionally on a holiday which falls on a weekend day our firm will close that Friday and Monday to make for a long weekend. This is done because so many people put in for a vacation day that they will take a smaller holiday and substitute or just do it out of the generosity of their hearts.

SpoogleDrummer Jul 1st 2009 2:43 pm

I was asked whether I'd prefer Friday or Monday off, said I didn't care so I have Friday off. Don't think the idea of giving both days off even occurred to the boss. I know last year I got a bonus for it but doubt I'll get one this year as I was given a "vacation bonus" last month to go on vacation, though ended up doing more work at the beach than I would've at the office :frown:

zargof Jul 1st 2009 2:56 pm

We have Thursday and Friday off, so a bit different here.

Rete Jul 1st 2009 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by zargof (Post 7715349)
We have Thursday and Friday off, so a bit different here.

Well that makes for a nice long weekend. Have fun.

nettlebed Jul 1st 2009 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 7715134)
We are open 24/365 so none apply.
Having said that, I am actually off as family are coming, but I had to take it as vacation

We are also open 24/365 (think big online retailer with geographical connection to South America in its name), but I don't know of anyone who works 24/365.

Modulo the necessary on-call and support work that many staff do as part of their normal job, all US-based salaried staff have been given Friday gash.

Ridski Jul 1st 2009 3:24 pm

They gave us Friday as a floating day, so I could take it whenever. I decided to take it Friday. Heading down to Red Bank for the fireworks, then hitting the Jersey Shore for the weekend with friends. No doubt it will be ruined by 'scattered thunderstorms'...

Noorah101 Jul 1st 2009 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ridski (Post 7715394)
They gave us Friday as a floating day, so I could take it whenever. I decided to take it Friday. Heading down to Red Bank for the fireworks, then hitting the Jersey Shore for the weekend with friends. No doubt it will be ruined by 'scattered thunderstorms'...

Our company is giving us Friday as a paid holiday. We have to work Monday.

malj Jul 1st 2009 4:49 pm

I also have Thursday and Friday off paid. Same goes for Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving.

Nyz Jul 1st 2009 5:14 pm

I work in a small CPA office (4 staff) and he's not giving us any day off!!! He said that he asked around and most private offices were open, so no holiday for us!