Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Police officers charged in accidental shooting death.

Police officers charged in accidental shooting death.

Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Police officers charged in accidental shooting death.

Obviously the controversy over police shootings isn't going to end here.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police officers charged in accidental shooting death.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What part of this did you think was "accidental"?

It doesn't sound as if they fired their guns by "accident" and it appears that the officers have been charged with second degree murder which usually means "intentional (but not premeditated) killing, or killing caused by dangerous conduct and lack of concern for human life" ...
Old Nov 7th 2015, 2:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
What part of this did you think was "accidental"?

It doesn't sound as if they fired their guns by "accident" and it appears that the officers have been charged with second degree murder which usually means "intentional (but not premeditated) killing, or killing caused by dangerous conduct and lack of concern for human life" ...
I was assuming that they were intending to hit the adult, and the child was not a target. It sounds like the prosecutor doesn't think there was good reason to shoot (at) the adult either.

That said, I suspect some will allege other reasons to prosecute these two police officers.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Those 2 should be behind bars for life.

From Louisiana State Police Col. Edmonson:
"We took some of the body cam footage. I'm not gonna talk about it, but I'm gonna tell you this -- it is the most disturbing thing I've seen and I will leave it at that," Edmonson said Friday night.

2 officers arrested in shooting death of boy in Louisiana - CNN.com
Old Nov 7th 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Those 2 should be behind bars for life.

From Louisiana State Police Col. Edmonson:
"We took some of the body cam footage. I'm not gonna talk about it, but I'm gonna tell you this -- it is the most disturbing thing I've seen and I will leave it at that," Edmonson said Friday night.

2 officers arrested in shooting death of boy in Louisiana - CNN.com
You posted the same link to the same story that I posted in #1, above.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

You posted the same link to the same story that I posted in #1, above.
Oh , didn't notice it , even thought I did click on your link.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

appears they were moonlighting for some firm that serves outstanding warrants so weren't even on official police duties. There are too many of these firms that dress up like police officials. There was a similar case in Austin a couple of years ago where the guy was a police officer and a parking attendant/ security guard as a second job. In that case the guy didn't get charged.

Two Louisiana city marshals charged with fatally shooting Jeremy Mardis | Daily Mail Online
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:11 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is anything which justifies firing into a moving vehicle which has a child in it.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:17 pm

Default Re: Police officers charged in accidentashooting death.

Originally Posted by lansbury
I don't think there is anything which justifies firing into a moving vehicle which has a child in it.
I agree, absolutely. ...... I was alluding to the several controversial police shootings/killings over the past couple of years, where the victim was black and the police weren't charged, or were cleared at trial, as compared to this case where the prosecutors have descended like a ton of bricks, with murder charges filed almost immediately, where the police are black and the victim is white.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't look to see the color of the driver or child, I would hope it made no difference. This one appears to such reckless stupidity I doubt it did. However it will of course be used for political gain by those that can benefit from doing so, regardless of the facts.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:48 am

I didn't look to see the color of the driver or child, I would hope it made no difference. This one appears to such reckless stupidity I doubt it did. ....
I agree, but not everyone will agree with us.
.... However it will of course be used for political gain by those that can benefit from doing so, regardless of the facts.
Er, quite.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Police officers charged in accidentashooting death.

I agree, absolutely. ...... I was alluding to the several controversial police shootings/killings over the past couple of years, where the victim was black and the police weren't charged, or were cleared at trial, as compared to this case where the prosecutors have descended like a ton of bricks, with murder charges filed almost immediately, where the police are black and the victim is white.
In this case, the victim being a small child and disturbing police video surely played a big part but I wouldn't rule out race being a factor in the background.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

Even supposing that they didn't know that there was a child, it appears to me that firing into a moving vehicle is something that could only ever be justified in a very small set of circumstances. What exactly were they hoping to do - incapacitate or kill the driver so that his vehicle would then be out of control so that it could potentially kill or injure other people? The most likely outcome of such an action would seem to be that they would either miss completely or, as happened in this case, that stray bullets would hit an unintended target.

In any case, is it really ever justified to use deadly force against someone who is only attempting to get away unless there is a very strong reason to believe that they are sufficiently dangerous that there is a probability that they will do harm to other people unless apprehended immediately?
Old Nov 8th 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by md95065

In any case, is it really ever justified to use deadly force against someone who is only attempting to get away unless there is a very strong reason to believe that they are sufficiently dangerous that there is a probability that they will do harm to other people unless apprehended immediately?
I think you sum it up well.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 2:28 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Cops should get cited for running red lights, never mind shooting first and asking questions later.
I didn't understand my husbands loathing of cops. And then I moved to NYC and had to deal with NYPD a couple of times. The mistrust and loathing is justified.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.