Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Police and Education

Police and Education

Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police and Education

Originally Posted by rebs
My sister is a lecturer at a university and she was saying that these days students have pretty short attention spans - she thinks as a result of more modular A levels where the modules are not so much built on each other, but are more stand alone, so each module change is a start from scratch situation. Students are simply not used to really getting into a subject in great depth.

I was also a bit shocked to discover that their university bookshop sells composite text books, which have a few chapters taken from several different books to tie in with the reading lists - the students don't even have to read whole books! that can't be helping the attention span issue
Actually, I quite like that system as it allows you to put together select chapters from different books, to create a text that ties in exactly with the course you are teaching. It means you (or rather, the students) aren't paying for 15 chapters when they only need 10 of them.

I only use about 50% of my own textbook when I teach the undergrad stats class, because 50% of it isn't relevant for the course I am teaching. Of course, that doesn't do much for my royalties!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Actually, I quite like that system as it allows you to put together select chapters from different books, to create a text that ties in exactly with the course you are teaching. It means you (or rather, the students) aren't paying for 15 chapters when they only need 10 of them.

I only use about 50% of my own textbook when I teach the undergrad stats class, because 50% of it isn't relevant for the course I am teaching. Of course, that doesn't do much for my royalties!
Fair enough... but what about 'reading around the subject'? just because it is not directly taught on the course, might it not have some merit?

It just seemed to me to be part and parcel of the whole limited attention span thing...
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough... but what about 'reading around the subject'? just because it is not directly taught on the course, might it not have some merit?

It just seemed to me to be part and parcel of the whole limited attention span thing...
It would probably help if university text books didn't cost £7,346,987.50

I usually just got the text books from the library at uni but I did read them beyond what I needed them for usually, since I had them for a while. Chemistry In Context for A-levels though, I read that one cover to cover.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think it depends on the extent to which you expand the boundary between "targeted learning" (only having to learn what's needed to pass the exam, or for your professional goals) and broader principles of the underlying discipline. In this case, there are several chapters in the book that have no relevance at all (not even broadly) to the applications the students will need.

Believe me, I am more "old school" (learning for learning's sake) and struggle every day with the compromises that are being forced on education, either by successive governments and poncey decision-makers, or changes in society in general.

On my bad days I come home from work convinced the world is going to Hell in a hand-cart. Bloody Twatter, Fartbook, and t'interWeb is turning people's brains to mush.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Twatter, Fartbook, and t'interWeb is turning people's brains to mush.
Except for BE. You get a better class of poster on here

Actually, there are quite a lot of well-educated bods (and well read laymen like myself, if I may say so) on here. It is, other than maybe astronomy.com, one of the more informed forums I venture on to.

Arsebook and twatter though, I'm right with you there.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:50 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think it depends on the extent to which you expand the boundary between "targeted learning" (only having to learn what's needed to pass the exam, or for your professional goals) and broader principles of the underlying discipline. In this case, there are several chapters in the book that have no relevance at all (not even broadly) to the applications the students will need.

Believe me, I am more "old school" (learning for learning's sake) and struggle every day with the compromises that are being forced on education, either by successive governments and poncey decision-makers, or changes in society in general.

On my bad days I come home from work convinced the world is going to Hell in a hand-cart. Bloody Twatter, Fartbook, and t'interWeb is turning people's brains to mush.
The current generation in education, I find, does not seem to retain much of anything. They are so reliant on computers and Google it is almost scary. My nieces and nephews are usually shocked i can do basic math in my head, without a calculator/phone/computer
Old Apr 18th 2014, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
The current generation in education, I find, does not seem to retain much of anything. They are so reliant on computers and Google it is almost scary. My nieces and nephews are usually shocked i can do basic math in my head, without a calculator/phone/computer
Totally different approach now. My kids shock me all the time with lack of basic knowledge. Then again my daughter is doing far harder maths than I ever did.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:04 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Totally different approach now. My kids shock me all the time with lack of basic knowledge. Then again my daughter is doing far harder maths than I ever did.
But what would they ever do if all this technology went away?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

When civilization collapses I'll be over here making Scotch...
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

But what would they ever do if all this technology went away?
They are funny. The girls don't even use a mirror - take a picture of themselves instead.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:50 pm
Northern Monkey!

Originally Posted by hotscot
When civilization collapses I'll be over here making Scotch...
Please send me an invite!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Please send me an invite!
There are certain people here who automatically get an invite.

I don't care about the brightest, just the best
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:55 pm
I have a comma problem

If civilisation collapses, I'll be off looking for Daryl ...
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Christ, the governor was a twunt, wasn't he?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.