Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Playing the Constitution card.

Playing the Constitution card.

Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing the Constitution card.

Originally Posted by Leslie
Best. Thread. Ever.
Shortlisted for end of year polls for sure
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
There was a great "My girlfriend shouldn't have to pay council tax" thread over on MBTTUK, but yeh, dc koop's "contributions" should put this one pretty high on the list.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Much like objecting to sitting at the back of the bus or only drinking out of certain fountains makes no sense.
I assume you can't tell the difference between protests against widespread, government backed/ legally sanctioned discrimination against a racial minority group, and a petulant child.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 10th 2017 at 3:08 am.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There was a great "My girlfriend shouldn't have to pay council tax" thread over on MBTTUK, but yeh, dc koop's "contributions" should put this one pretty high on the list.
Ohh..I missed that one
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:10 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
His quote of "Oh and by the way I'm fully exercising MY rights under the First Amendment also" made me think that he doesnt really understand what the First Amendment is to begin with, it read to me like he thinks it gives him freedom to post on boards on the web, rather than it being the publishers/owners/mods and admins of the site giving him that ability.
I mean, he's free to say whatever. Just as we're free to call out the BS but yes, the mechanism by which that freedom is delivered does need to be considered.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It does - because your granddaughters' parents know them a lot better and have more influence over them than you do.

Umm... they're not actually your kids. I'm pretty sure they belong to someone else! You understand that simple fact, right?

That's a shame, because you might learn something about tolerance.

I'm pretty sure most things are totally wasted on you!

Ian
Sterling work, you held your patience better than I was able to.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Ok, now I have to go search for that thread.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Ok, now I have to go search for that thread.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...ctions-894929/
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

His quote of "Oh and by the way I'm fully exercising MY rights under the First Amendment also" made me think that he doesnt really understand what the First Amendment is to begin with, it read to me like he thinks it gives him freedom to post on boards on the web, rather than it being the publishers/owners/mods and admins of the site giving him that ability.
Does that mean I have more power than the US 1st Amendment? How jolly exciting!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:44 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Where does a kid of eleven get the idea that there's no God ? ...decidedly fixed views
You ask the wrong questions, as we all pop out at birth with no knowledge of the concept of God. Where do children get their conception that there is a God?
My kid has one atheist parent, one deist parent and theist grand-parents who take her to church every Sunday.
Whatever leads you to think there are "decidedly fixed views"?

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 10th 2017 at 4:36 am.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 3:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
This does not make me feel very good.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:48 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

You ask the wrong questions, as we all pop out at birth with no knowledge of the concept of God. Where do children get their conception that there is a God?
My kid has one atheist parent, one deist parent and theist grand-parents who take her to church every Sunday.
Whatever leads you to think there are "decidedly fixed views"?
Why ?
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:58 am
He/him

Why ?
Why not?
Don't you think it's a good idea to be exposed to ideas and belief systems?
Don't you think knowledge of one of the primary influences on Western culture should be known?
She has fun there and has friends there too.
They also do a lot of social awareness activities like "8 miles for water" and screening of the movie "13th" the kind of thing you think she is missing.

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 10th 2017 at 5:16 am.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 5:11 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Next time I attend one of our town council meetings I'll sit on my ass when they call for the Pledge of Allegiance before the meeting starts. Better than that I'll get somebody to videotape it. We'll see what the reaction is.

There's been a certain amount of arrogance here in assuming that refusing to take the Pledge is something we shouldn't bother about. Most of us come from the British Isles. Who are we to make light of something that most Americans take seriously? Who are we to assume that it matters little or nothing to most people of this country ?

I find it far more meaningless and ludicrous when it comes to a ceremony where a bunch of people kneel before a priest as he puts a wafer in each mouth and compares a sip of wine to the blood of Christ. Maybe I'll go to church next Sunday and refuse to take the wafer just to see the reaction. I wont say no to the wine though
Old Apr 10th 2017, 5:16 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm done arguing with the likes of you so I'm not even going to address the first part of your post because I just can't be bothered anymore.

However ...

I find it far more meaningless and ludicrous when it comes to a ceremony where a bunch of people kneel before a priest as he puts a wafer in each mouth and compares a sip of wine to the blood of Christ. Maybe I'll go to church next Sunday and refuse to take the wafer just to see the reaction. I wont say no to the wine though
There would be no reaction. They would assume simply that you are not yet confirmed, or that you are a visiting Protestant, or person of another religion (or even a non-believer) who is welcome to participate in all aspects of the service but not to receive communion.

It would literally provoke no reaction at all. Nice try though.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 5:20 am
He/him

Next time I attend one of our town council meetings I'll sit on my ass when they call for the Pledge of Allegiance before the meeting starts. Better than that I'll get somebody to videotape it. We'll see what the reaction is........
You live in a scary place if it would be an issue.
and a scary church if not doing communion is a problem too. (Have you ever been to a church?)

I got to say Seattle seems more and more like a great place, the more I hear about other peoples experience like dc koop. In Seattle generally its live and let live, different point of view, different political perspectives, different religions, are all accepted until they start to cross over to try to bully others.

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 10th 2017 at 5:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.