Planespotting II

Old Oct 10th 2020, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Air Canada and Air Transat have agreed to new terms, Air Canada will now pay $5 per share, down from the original $18 per share agreed upon in better times of 2019.

"That brings the total price of the takeover to $190 million, down from $720 million previously."

https://www.ottawamatters.com/nation...-price-2783587
Old Oct 12th 2020, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Southwest is planning to begin service to Chicago O'Hare and Houston-IAH.

O'Hare is a little surprising, but they have flown limited service to IAH in the past, so IAH is a resumption of service to a previously served airport.

Both are United hubs too.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 12th 2020 at 9:08 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

That is Southwest definitely taking a shot at United Airlines. United was unhappy when Southwest started up Mexico/Caribbean flights too. Intercontinental to O'hare flights would have more business traffic than Hobby to Midway has. I wonder if United will reciprocate and start up flights between Hobby and Midway?
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:14 am
Account Closed

I like this guys channel, former Air Force pilot, now runs some sort of medical supply business, but makes videos of some of his trips in his private jet.

Oh those with money have all the fun

https://www.youtube.com/user/gregmink/videos
Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

United had to fix a windshield. Kind of sounds like UA pilots were a little apprehensive about what they saw by asking to stay on a different heading which was denied, guess they needed to be more assertive with ATC

Old Oct 14th 2020, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Its drummed into you during even Private Pilot trianing that if the PIC declares an emergency, they can do whatever is needed, and TELL ATC what they are going to do.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 11:19 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Its drummed into you during even Private Pilot trianing that if the PIC declares an emergency, they can do whatever is needed, and TELL ATC what they are going to do.
This is not what happened. The request to remain on their current course came before they entered the hail and before the windshield was damaged. This has nothing to do with ATC overriding them during a declared emergency.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 3:00 am
Account Closed

I really enjoy this guys videos, fun watching when bored. I'll tell ya pays to have money in this world.

Old Oct 16th 2020, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Let’s hope the word get out!!!
[img]blob:https://britishexpats.com/bcd7ee1c-bd6e-4178-950a-0116812e7f9c[/img]Coronavirus: Revealed - the risk of exposure to COVID-19 on a passenger plane
http://news.sky.com/story/coronaviru...study-12105228
Old Oct 16th 2020, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markonline1
Interesting. Let’s hope the word get out!!!
[img]blob:https://britishexpats.com/bcd7ee1c-bd6e-4178-950a-0116812e7f9c[/img]Coronavirus: Revealed - the risk of exposure to COVID-19 on a passenger plane
http://news.sky.com/story/coronaviru...study-12105228

It's not the plane ride that concerns me, it's the destination.

Pretty much anywhere I could fly to has much higher COVID spread and cases, so the risk at the destination is my issue.

In my health region we only have 23 active cases of a huge swath of land, so chances of encountering it here is pretty low, where just about everywhere in the US the risk is higher.

Plus having to quarantine 14 days when coming back to Canada means no travel, simply not worth it. I have no desire to be stuck in a hotel room for 14 days, nor can I afford a 14 day hotel stay, can't quarantine at home unless my wife travelled with me since its an apartment with no separate living area.

Old Oct 16th 2020, 7:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's not the plane ride that concerns me, it's the destination.

Pretty much anywhere I could fly to has much higher COVID spread and cases, so the risk at the destination is my issue.

In my health region we only have 23 active cases of a huge swath of land, so chances of encountering it here is pretty low, where just about everywhere in the US the risk is higher.

Plus having to quarantine 14 days when coming back to Canada means no travel, simply not worth it. I have no desire to be stuck in a hotel room for 14 days, nor can I afford a 14 day hotel stay, can't quarantine at home unless my wife travelled with me since its an apartment with no separate living area.
Agreed. Stripping out the risk of catching covid "on the plane" seems a bit pointless when travelling on a plane, and returning home, necessarily involves spending at least four periods in air terminals, likely involves at least two journeys on public transport, or perhaps in a taxi. Then any time spent in a hotel would be an addtional risk, and eating at restaurants on the journey.

And as noted, travel to many countries would require 14 days of enforced quarantine, which would render travelling there entirely pointless, and/or would mean putting anyone (family members) you're visiting at risk if you quarantined at their home (if that is allowed?)

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 16th 2020 at 7:45 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed. Stripping out the risk of catching covid "on the plane" seems a bit pointless when travelling on a plane, and returning home, necessarily involves spending at least four periods in air terminals, likely involves at least two journeys on public transport, or perhaps in a taxi. Then any time spent in a hotel would be an addtional risk, and eating at restaurants on the journey.

And as noted, travel to many countries would require 14 days of enforced quarantine, which would render travelling there entirely pointless, and/or would mean putting anyone (family members) you're visiting at risk if you quarantined at their home (if that is allowed?)
Current requirements for Canada

The other thing too and not sure if other countries do it this way, but if you show symptoms at anytime during quarantine, you restart the 14 days over from the day of onset of symptoms or positive test, so actual time in quarantine could be longer if you start showing symptoms.

Then there is the risk of airlines who may begin doing rapid tests, and being stuck in a foreign country if the airline says hey your positive and can't fly, come back in 14 days, although I don't know if this rapid testing is widespread yet, but I know some airlines have been testing them.

Or booking a flight a few weeks in advance and getting sick right before, or just after arriving at your destination.

Old Oct 17th 2020, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Happened last week but Douglas M. Steenland was elected to the AA board of directors, wonder if AA management wants to do some union busting, or bankruptcy or both and want his expertise, he busted unions at Northwest and took them bankruptcy leading up to the merger with Delta...

Interesting choice they have made.

For those who may not know, Northwest had the worst labor relations of the major airlines back in the 1990's into the early 2000's before merging with Delta, it was bad, they even shut down for a period in 1998 due to a pilot strike. Other than maybe TWA, I don't think there was a worse airline to work for out of the majors at the time.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 17th 2020 at 3:43 am.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

International vacation travel is more involved and I'm nowhere near ready for that, but I could use the ability to take a 'commuter' type flight (eg, SFO->PHX). I would have no concerns with the airport - they are big, airy places, less dangerous than a grocery store I would imagine. Getting there .... yes, I'd need public transit. Don't know how crowded our BART (light rail) trains are; I imagine they are pretty light. At the other end ... yuk, no choice but a taxi or a friend ... risky, impositions. But the plane is by far the worst in my mind - 2 hours sat in one spot, breathing whatever air just happens to be there. Can they really 'turn over' the air around every seat in short order? If the guy behind me is infected, is the air handling so good that I'm not going to breath any of his 'exhaust' in?
Old Oct 18th 2020, 6:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
International vacation travel is more involved and I'm nowhere near ready for that, but I could use the ability to take a 'commuter' type flight (eg, SFO->PHX). I would have no concerns with the airport - they are big, airy places, less dangerous than a grocery store I would imagine. Getting there .... yes, I'd need public transit. Don't know how crowded our BART (light rail) trains are; I imagine they are pretty light. At the other end ... yuk, no choice but a taxi or a friend ... risky, impositions. But the plane is by far the worst in my mind - 2 hours sat in one spot, breathing whatever air just happens to be there. Can they really 'turn over' the air around every seat in short order? If the guy behind me is infected, is the air handling so good that I'm not going to breath any of his 'exhaust' in?
Quick visual of how cabin air works.

This one from Air Canada as well

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 18th 2020 at 7:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.