Planespotting II

Old Mar 7th 2019, 5:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by civilservant
Not really - pilots have stalled perfectly good aircraft before. AF447 comes to mind.
True, but stalling a "perfectly good plane" in very challenging weather conditions isn't quite the same as losing a plane in relatively benign conditions. ..... But then there is Asiana 214!

I hate to say it, but if a plane comes down with no immediately obviously/ already known issue, i.e. through conversation with ATC, then these days pilot suicide has to be a significant possibility, not the highest probability, but more than a small one.
​​​​
Old Mar 7th 2019, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
True, but stalling a "perfectly good plane" in very challenging weather conditions isn't quite the same as losing a plane in relatively benign conditions. ..... But then there is Asiana 214!

I hate to say it, but if a plane comes down with no immediately obviously/ already known issue, i.e. through conversation with ATC, then these days pilot suicide has to be a significant possibility, not the highest probability, but more than a small one.
​​​​
That was my initial thought but 90% of the flight was over the gulf. Why wait until you're 40 miles from landing and then nose-dive into a swamp? You either choose to go down in deep water (minimum collateral) or in a populated area for maximum collateral.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
That was my initial thought but 90% of the flight was over the gulf. Why wait until you're 40 miles from landing and then nose-dive into a swamp? You either choose to go down in deep water (minimum collateral) or in a populated area for maximum collateral.
I always have the same thought whenever I hear someone, anyone - media, law enforcement, air accident investigators, anyone, trying to rationalize the behaviour of someone who committed suicide, "you're trying to make logical sense of the behaviour of someone who just killed themself!"
Old Mar 8th 2019, 10:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Shoreham air crash - Andy Hill found not guilty.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick
The BBC's report of the verdict.

I am surprised, but personally I think it is the right outcome.

​​​​
Old Mar 8th 2019, 11:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC's report of the verdict.

I am surprised, but personally I think it is the right outcome.

​​​​
I agree - on both counts.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 5:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The former RAF instructor claimed he had blacked out in the air, having experienced "cognitive impairment" brought on by hypoxia possibly due to the effects of G-force.
Mr Hill told the Old Bailey he had no memory from three days before the crash to when he woke from his coma and had spent the last three years "trying to resolve what happened".
Really. Call me a cynical old retired detective but those two comments do not add up.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

A troubling verdict, on the face of it; but I'm sure the jury considered it carefully. Awful for the families of the victims though.
Old Mar 9th 2019, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Public days at Farnborough canned -

From the BBC.
Apologies to Pulaski, I missed your original post!
Old Mar 9th 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
A troubling verdict, on the face of it; but I'm sure the jury considered it carefully. ....

Old Mar 10th 2019, 10:12 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Yet more tragic news. Another max 8 goes down. This does seem like a stall, with the unstable vertical speed noted.

Ethiopian Airlines: Boeing 737 crashes on way to Kenya
Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:05 pm

Yet more tragic news. Another max 8 goes down. This does seem like a stall, with the unstable vertical speed noted.
The article says "too early to tell" - are you referring to the initial reports of the Lion Air crash that are included in the article you linked?
Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

The article says "too early to tell" - are you referring to the initial reports of the Lion Air crash that are included in the article you linked?
No Pulaski. I'm referring to the actual flight data from flightradar24 which has been widely discussed online all morning.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that bit didn't come from the linked article.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 1:23 pm

No Pulaski. I'm referring to the actual flight data from flightradar24 which has been widely discussed online all morning.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that bit didn't come from the linked article.
OK, that makes sense. Thanks!
Old Mar 10th 2019, 9:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very suspect of the flightradar data from that part of the world. How many sending stations do they have and what areas have no coverage. A lot of their data comes from equipment run on a voluntary basis, not from commercial sources.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.