Planespotting II

Old May 9th 2020, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The UK has announced 14 day quarantine for anyone flying into the UK. Clearly this represents a further disincentive to fly and will make flying as a tourist impossible even if you were allowed to get on the plane. This will presumably will lead to a further decline in air travel and will be another hurdle to be overcome before the airlines can consider adding flights, rather than cutting them.
"People arriving in the UK would have to self-isolate at a private residence."
An acquaintance of mine who is 78 and an avid world traveler (trying to see the world before she dies, I guess!) has tickets to London later this month, and said she will be going if she's allowed to do so. She has tickets for west end plays also (which obviously won't do her any good). So it would seem that she's not going to be able to go, unless she somehow finds a place to hang out for 14 days!
Old May 9th 2020, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
"People arriving in the UK would have to self-isolate at a private residence."
An acquaintance of mine who is 78 and an avid world traveler (trying to see the world before she dies, I guess!) has tickets to London later this month, and said she will be going if she's allowed to do so. She has tickets for west end plays also (which obviously won't do her any good). So it would seem that she's not going to be able to go, unless she somehow finds a place to hang out for 14 days!

This is not quite official just yet and strangely doesn't intend to start until end of may...

However I also don't see how it will be enforced other than a strongly worded letter handed out at the airport and an address provided?

ItsIt looks as though someone could simply provide a relatives address, or an Airbnb and then go on their merry way as they please....
Old May 11th 2020, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Delta's last MD-80 and MD-90 flights will be on June 2. DL80 & DL90 being the flight numbers.

Old May 11th 2020, 8:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster
This is not quite official just yet and strangely doesn't intend to start until end of may...

However I also don't see how it will be enforced other than a strongly worded letter handed out at the airport and an address provided?

ItsIt looks as though someone could simply provide a relatives address, or an Airbnb and then go on their merry way as they please....
There may be a fine for not remaining at the address that you gave. The police in the UK are quite active in enforcing lock-down rules, and I could see that you might expect a visit within 48 hours of arrival, and possibly at later points during the 14 days. If there are penalties, I would assume that they would be greater the earlier in the 14 days that you abscond.
Old May 11th 2020, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There may be a fine for not remaining at the address that you gave. The police in the UK are quite active in enforcing lock-down rules, and I could see that you might expect a visit within 48 hours of arrival, and possibly at later points during the 14 days. If there are penalties, I would assume that they would be greater the earlier in the 14 days that you abscond.
Although .. if you AREN'T at the location you gave, what next ... 'calling all cars, calling all cars ..' ? I guess they could get you at the point of departure!
Old May 11th 2020, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Although .. if you AREN'T at the location you gave, what next ... 'calling all cars, calling all cars ..' ? I guess they could get you at the point of departure!
Especially if you're travelling on a US passport. I see they were so pissed at the American woman who left the UK claiming she was under diplomatic immunity (she wasn't) after running down a biker that after having had their extradition application rebuffed she's now been put on Interpol's red list of persons wanted...
Old May 12th 2020, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving into Canada including those arriving from the US, with some exceptions, and if arriving in BC one also has to present a detailed written plan on how you plan to quarantine yourself, how your getting there, how your getting food etc, if your plan isn't acceptable, they have hotel rooms available. I believe they are also doing follow up calls during the 14 days.

The penalty for not quarantining for 14 days is pretty harsh too.

"$750,000 and/or imprisonment for six months. Additionally, if a person causes a risk of imminent death or serious bodily harm to another person while wilfully or recklessly contravening the regulations, they could be subject to a fine of up to $1,000,000 or to imprisonment of up to three years, or to both."

Even if one crossed the land border, spent 30 seconds in the US, and came back to Canada, mandatory 14 day quarantine.

Old May 12th 2020, 1:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

But either you're a British citizen and they have all sorts of data to track you, or you're a visitor and they will snag you on the way out.
Old May 14th 2020, 12:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.streetinsider.com/Corpor.../16882766.html

I wasn't expecting this. Delta have annouced they will retire all 18 of their 777s by the end of the year.

That will leave an all Airbus long haul fleet (-330s & -350s)
Old May 14th 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
.... I wasn't expecting this. Delta have annouced they will retire all 18 of their 777s by the end of the year. ......
Wow! ..... And some Delta pilots will know what that means.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 14th 2020 at 1:22 pm.
Old May 14th 2020, 2:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! ..... And some Delta pilots will know what that means.
Hopefully some of the younger ones might get the chance to re-type. The rest... well... retirement beckons.
Old May 14th 2020, 4:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully some of the younger ones might get the chance to re-type. The rest... well... retirement beckons.
Redundancy as with other flight crew changes is done by seniority.
Old May 14th 2020, 5:01 pm
Often not so civil...

Yes I'm aware. What I am not sure about is if there is a requisite 'possible time in type' that will preclude an older (and therefore most likely more senior) pilot from being re-typed.

It is, after all, an expensive business. Although one images that some could transfer to Deltas few remaining 767-400's since their cockpits are somewhat similar.

Last edited by civilservant; May 14th 2020 at 5:14 pm.
Old May 14th 2020, 5:11 pm

Yes I'm aware. What I am not sure about is if there is a requite 'possible time in type' that will preclude an older (and therefore most likely more senior) pilot from being re-typed. .....
I think that is where the retirement package comes in - retraining/ retyping takes a lot of money, so just offer it to the pilot as an enhanced retirement carrot.
Old May 14th 2020, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

And Delta recently just finished a $100 million dollar update to the 777 cabins as well.

Pilots close to retirement will likely as said be offered early retirement, the Delta pilots are union so their contract likely has something about this type of situation, but generally date of hire is all that matters, time in type is not relevant, but unions know there is no point in retyping a say a pilot who has to retire in a year so the union and Delta will likely work something out for those older pilots.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 14th 2020 at 5:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.