Planespotting II

Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Back in my airline days when I worked directly for one, we were a smaller airline only 110 planes or so, so often saw the same flight crews, we had one who had a train whistle, and when he would do is, "we are cleared for departure, flight attendants take your seats" announcement he would always then say All Aboard and blow his train whistler, it amused most passengers.

When I visited my mom last year, the Delta pilot on my Seattle to Palm Springs flight gave a very informative speech, and came on to point things out of interest like Mt. St Helen's, and even updated us on the current fuel burn, one of the more talkative pilots I have had on a flight in recent times, one thing I miss about the 90's and early 00's, pilots talked more and point more things out, I miss those days.

Some reports in the US media seem to indicate some US airlines may choose to ground their entire fleet and wait this out, at some point it may just burn less cash doing that.
I love it when they point out what you can see out the windows!

My friend is a flight attendant and she's hoping to get grounded / laid off/ whatever, because she said the alternative is working on flights like the ones from Florida to New York, returning covidiots from their spring break activities. I think she's wanting for it to be forced upon her so she can claim unemployment or whatever benefits may ensue, which may not apply if she voluntarily steps down. Bad situation to be in. F**ing spring breakers ...
Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I love it when they point out what you can see out the windows!

My friend is a flight attendant and she's hoping to get grounded / laid off/ whatever, because she said the alternative is working on flights like the ones from Florida to New York, returning covidiots from their spring break activities. I think she's wanting for it to be forced upon her so she can claim unemployment or whatever benefits may ensue, which may not apply if she voluntarily steps down. Bad situation to be in. F**ing spring breakers ...
Yeah it is. I wouldn't want to be a flight attendant. I know some airlines have restricted their in-flight services to try and keep flights attendants from having to be in too much contact with passengers but still not ideal place to be.

April is seeing some drastic cuts at several airlines, so she might get her wish.

Sunwing in Canada a leisure oriented airline to sun destinations, has stated they will no longer be able to provide refunds as they lack the resources to do so. I do not believe they will survive this.

Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it is. I wouldn't want to be a flight attendant. I know some airlines have restricted their in-flight services to try and keep flights attendants from having to be in too much contact with passengers but still not ideal place to be.

April is seeing some drastic cuts at several airlines, so she might get her wish.

God forbid, people don't get their pretzels, or their pepsi ... They should announce up front - "Bring your own refreshments as we are not serving you. Flight Attendants are there in case of an emergency". I can just imagine a bunch of entitled assholes having a fit with that!
Old Mar 25th 2020, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

God forbid, people don't get their pretzels, or their pepsi ... They should announce up front - "Bring your own refreshments as we are not serving you. Flight Attendants are there in case of an emergency". I can just imagine a bunch of entitled assholes having a fit with that!
That has been basically what I have been thinking airlines should do.

Old Mar 25th 2020, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Looks like Miami Air a small charter airline in the US has filed for bankruptcy, no news reports but they have filed court documents for Chapter 11.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That has been basically what I have been thinking airlines should do.
Funnily enough - overheard my neighbors chatting about an upcoming flight they are about to take (I think they are snowbirds returning north). They said something like, 'we'll need to buy snacks for the flight since they aren't serving any longer' ... so maybe the airline execs are listening to me
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Miami Air a small charter airline in the US has filed for bankruptcy, no news reports but they have filed court documents for Chapter 11.
I'd place a small wager that they're not going to be the last airline to file for Ch11 this year.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'd place a small wager that they're not going to be the last airline to file for Ch11 this year.
Most likely not.

Already 2 will be closing up shop shortly both regional airlines owned by the same parent company, Compass and Trans States. (kind of sad to see trans-states goes, it was the first airline I worked for back in 1998, flew around California under the US Air express banner, mostly to LAX with one flight to Fresno, 19 seat aircraft with no bathroom and no flight attendant, only a curtain between the cabin and flight deck.) crappy little planes but was a fun job.

All my old co-workers at the company I worked for at the airport here have been laid off, only management left who are working the flights that are left, smaller company so I doubt they will survive this. They went from 50 flights a day low peak between all the airlines down to less than 10 per day so huge reduction even for winter, most summer months they see 100-110 flights per day, which isn't happening this year.

Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Went flying today. Most of the county airports have closed their terminals but gas pumps are self serve. It’s one hobby you can do without coming in contact with anyone.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 11:36 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Went flying today. Most of the county airports have closed their terminals but gas pumps are self serve. It’s one hobby you can do without coming in contact with anyone.
Do you think you might be able to drop me off in the UK with that

I'll breathe out of the window if that helps.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Do you think you might be able to drop me off in the UK with that

I'll breathe out of the window if that helps.
Sorry single seat and we would have to swim the last 1800 miles. This plane was built from a kit but I didn’t build.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 11:52 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Sorry single seat and we would have to swim the last 1800 miles. This plane was built from a kit but I didn’t build.
I saw them strap people on the wings in Flight of The Phoenix - this is time for out of the box thinking!

I'm sure the RAF could help us out with some mid-air refueling.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I saw them strap people on the wings in Flight of The Phoenix - this is time for out of the box thinking!

I'm sure the RAF could help us out with some mid-air refueling.
There is a guy in Australia who flew an almost identical plane from Australia to Oshkosh. Then the following year did it again going in opposite direction. It was a home built by same kit manufacturer
(Van’s). He used every inch of space for extra fuel tanks.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 5:01 am
Account Closed

Delta is suspending a variety of service to Canada.

https://news.delta.com/coronavirus-u...w3E8roeDyX5fdo

Appears they might be keeping 3 daily flights to Seattle from Vancouver.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

For an interesting aviation story look up Australian Jon Johanson. He is the guy that built and flew the Vans RV4 around the world twice. The plane is now in a Australian museum. I would post link but not sure how. The RV 4 is slightly bigger that my RV3 but hard to tell apart unless sitting side by side. I like to bring up General aviation topics in the hope I will inspire someone to go out and build an airplane and partake of one of the worlds best hobbies. In my 51 years of flying I am still looking for that person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.