Planespotting II

Old Aug 5th 2021, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

A wee bit of a hard landing, and one of the more interesting flight deck videos I have seen.

Old Aug 5th 2021, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
A wee bit of a hard landing, and one of the more interesting flight deck videos I have seen.

https://youtu.be/u1QqQwvoA4Q
Not sure if I want to know which airline! I love the 'turn left, turn left ... turn right ... be careful!' Reminds me of teaching my mum to drive! "Do you see the runway?" ... not something you hope to hear!
Old Aug 5th 2021, 9:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

They need to throughly check that gear. I think that might be one of the hardest landings I have ever seen. Seems it was a check ride, so quit possibly there were no passengers aboard.

At least I hope not!
Old Aug 5th 2021, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Not sure if I want to know which airline! I love the 'turn left, turn left ... turn right ... be careful!' Reminds me of teaching my mum to drive! "Do you see the runway?" ... not something you hope to hear!
Reported to be Tri-MG Intra Asia Airlines based out of Indonesia. Appears they do cargo flying with the 737's, and private passenger jets and medical evacuation using smaller aircraft. Amusing title for the guy in charge of the company, President Director.

Reported to have occurred on July 12 and the aircraft was landing Paro (Bhutan), and was bringing in Moderna vaccines.

Presumably damage must have been minor if any, only spent 16 hours on the ground before continuing to Thailand on their next leg.

However it is an Indonesian based airline, not a country known for great aviation safety so who knows if proper checks were done.
https://avherald.com/h?article=4eb4e975&opt=0

Does look like a tricky approach, cockpit view of a more organized approach and landing into the same airport.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 5th 2021 at 11:31 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Reported to be Tri-MG Intra Asia Airlines based out of Indonesia. Appears they do cargo flying with the 737's, and private passenger jets and medical evacuation using smaller aircraft. Amusing title for the guy in charge of the company, President Director.

Reported to have occurred on July 12 and the aircraft was landing Paro (Bhutan), and was bringing in Moderna vaccines.

Presumably damage must have been minor if any, only spent 16 hours on the ground before continuing to Thailand on their next leg.

However it is an Indonesian based airline, not a country known for great aviation safety so who knows if proper checks were done.
https://avherald.com/h?article=4eb4e975&opt=0

Does look like a tricky approach, cockpit view of a more organized approach and landing into the same airport.

https://youtu.be/N0KIlFqjams
It's rather amusing to hear the stiff English (or American?) automated (recorded) voices (three hundred, two hundred, ...) and then the heavily accented voices of the cockpit crew! Do all planes, worldwide, use English for the 'automated' voice (perhaps excepting Russia, China, etc)? That is, does an Air France plane use French recorded voices, a JAL use Japanese recorded voices, or is it English all the way?

I wonder if there were hundreds of smashed moderna vaccine vials in the hold!

Question - when a plane suffers a hard landing, but nothing is obviously broken, do they have actual 'stress sensors' around the plane, or is it a judgment call to evaluate stress? I often wonder about things like that when I'm up in the air and encounter strong turbulance!
Old Aug 6th 2021, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Pilot perspective. Seems the jumpseat pilot is likely a guide pilot.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
It's rather amusing to hear the stiff English (or American?) automated (recorded) voices (three hundred, two hundred, ...) and then the heavily accented voices of the cockpit crew! Do all planes, worldwide, use English for the 'automated' voice (perhaps excepting Russia, China, etc)? That is, does an Air France plane use French recorded voices, a JAL use Japanese recorded voices, or is it English all the way?

I wonder if there were hundreds of smashed moderna vaccine vials in the hold!

Question - when a plane suffers a hard landing, but nothing is obviously broken, do they have actual 'stress sensors' around the plane, or is it a judgment call to evaluate stress? I often wonder about things like that when I'm up in the air and encounter strong turbulance!
I don't know the technicalities of it, but if an aircraft lands hard, or experiences forces that exceed its approved limits etc, there are inspections to be done, I didn't have flight arrive very often that landed so hard they needed inspections but we did have diversions that landed overweight and required maintenance to check, sometimes the flight cancelled, sometimes maintenance had it done within a couple hours.

Bird strikes also generally require an inspection, small bird strikes rarely find damage, larger bird seagulls or geese can do more damage, at Vancouver Airport the airport also comes out to take swabs of the blood for DNA, they keep track to see if there is a trend with certain species, did have a E-175 hit a goose on departure so it came back and landed, goose was stuck in the nose, well part of the goose was.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 6th 2021 at 4:35 am.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 12:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Time to boot up MS Flight Sim and have a go at sticking the landing at this airport...
Old Aug 6th 2021, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know the technicalities of it, but if an aircraft lands hard, or experiences forces that exceed its approved limits etc, there are inspections to be done, ...
This is what I was wondering about - 'forces exceeding approved limits' ... how do they determine that? I've been in turbulence that blew my socks off, and I wondered how the plane held together (and apparently what I've experienced is really nothing by comparison to what has been experienced by others). I worry about the stress on the metal parts, things that perhaps wouldn't be visually obvious. My brother was an inspector of power plants (pressure vessels, etc) and he used gear that was, essentially, an 'x-ray' for metal that would look for internal, hidden stress fractures (could have been sonar, x-ray, whatever - all I know is, they went looking for stuff that was not visually apparent).
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Bird strikes also generally require an inspection, small bird strikes rarely find damage, larger bird seagulls or geese can do more damage, at Vancouver Airport the airport also comes out to take swabs of the blood for DNA, they keep track to see if there is a trend with certain species,
The swabs, as you say are for DNA, so the species can be identified. It’s then reported to whatever the Canadian version of the FAA is. Personally, I’ll just chuck the whole bird into an envelope and post it off to the Smithsonian who identify the species for the FAA. Bird strike reporting was mandatory in the UK. It’s a little lax here in the US. Sometimes pilots will alert us, other times they’ll just clean off the blood and leave without alerting us which can be a little frustrating. Oh, and there’s no such thing as a seagull
Old Aug 7th 2021, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markonline1
The swabs, as you say are for DNA, so the species can be identified. It’s then reported to whatever the Canadian version of the FAA is. Personally, I’ll just chuck the whole bird into an envelope and post it off to the Smithsonian who identify the species for the FAA. Bird strike reporting was mandatory in the UK. It’s a little lax here in the US. Sometimes pilots will alert us, other times they’ll just clean off the blood and leave without alerting us which can be a little frustrating. Oh, and there’s no such thing as a seagull
Most of us are not bird experts so seagull gets the point across for us non experts.

I never managed to get a job within airport operations or with the company who does the wildlife control/bird-strikes etc (airport outsources that) so don't know all the in's and outs, but I would much rather worked in airport ops or wildlife than ramp, but they are very highly competitive and difficult places to get into at YVR, seemed to be a need to know someone on the inside type jobs.

It was a fun run in the airline world for me, functionally its over now, and very unlikely I will ever work in the industry again, which kind of sucks.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 7th 2021 at 7:58 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2021, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us are not bird experts so seagull gets the point across for us non experts.

I never managed to get a job within airport operations or with the company who does the wildlife control/bird-strikes etc (airport outsources that) so don't know all the in's and outs, but I would much rather worked in airport ops or wildlife than ramp, but they are very highly competitive and difficult places to get into at YVR, seemed to be a need to know someone on the inside type jobs.

It was a fun run in the airline world for me, functionally its over now, and very unlikely I will ever work in the industry again, which kind of sucks.

I did a year as a line guy. Chucking bags around wasn’t for me, or should I say, my body. It’s bloody hard work. Ops jobs are competitive everywhere. I was lucky in that I had my experience at Heathrow, so my current airport bit my arm off to hire me (first and only time that has happened). It’s not helped by a lot of airports require a degree. A degree in airport operations means nothing though. I’ve seen a few embry riddle graduates now that are clueless when it comes to actually doing the real world job. If I was a hiring manager, I’d take the guy with ramp experience over someone that is fresh from college with no real world experience every day of the week!!!!
Old Aug 8th 2021, 2:00 am
Account Closed

Yeah there is one college here in BC that offers an airport ops certificate of some sort, but I know more than a few people with it who can't get on with YVR either, so I never went for it, the cost vs benefit seems not so great. I don't even think its a true degree.

It is very much a who you know at Vancouver Airport rather than what you know type deal.

Originally Posted by markonline1
I did a year as a line guy. Chucking bags around wasn’t for me, or should I say, my body. It’s bloody hard work. Ops jobs are competitive everywhere. I was lucky in that I had my experience at Heathrow, so my current airport bit my arm off to hire me (first and only time that has happened). It’s not helped by a lot of airports require a degree. A degree in airport operations means nothing though. I’ve seen a few embry riddle graduates now that are clueless when it comes to actually doing the real world job. If I was a hiring manager, I’d take the guy with ramp experience over someone that is fresh from college with no real world experience every day of the week!!!!
Old Aug 8th 2021, 9:23 am
Account Closed

This pilot has learned a hard lesson.

Old Aug 12th 2021, 7:30 am
Account Closed

Another disruptive passenger needing to be restrained.

https://news.yahoo.com/watch-america...111231364.html

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 12th 2021 at 7:34 am.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Swiss cheese effect, but talk about scary, thankfully the pilots got the plane under control sufficiently to eventually get back on the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.