Planespotting II

Old Jul 13th 2021, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by civilservant
That is one thing I don't really understand... I love a goof flight sim, and enjoy jumping in and doing short hops in an airline or using something aerobatic to see the sights in different, places but I don't see what's fun about flying a long haul route any more than I do with being an actual pilot flying a long haul route. Or you're doing is monitoring (in this case the computer simulating the aircraft, in reality the aircraft)

If you are on another computer, performing another task, are you really playing? No, you're waiting for something to happen. I don't see the fun.
Ha! In my hardcore flight sim days (before kids) I did several LHR to US west coast flights on VATSIM. Looking back, I’m not sure how LOL. What was cool was flying through Europe whilst an event was on. If you were lucky, you’d have ATC the whole way (yeah, it’s nerdy, but it was the next best thing, sort of, to actually being able to fly)
Old Jul 14th 2021, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It's basically a simulated commercial flight but without fare paying passengers (usually airline employees playing the role of passenger.) that an airline has to do when they receive a completely new aircraft type, going to begin ETOPS operations or something new they have not done before, so they can get approval for new aircraft type, ETOPS or such.

When Southwest was working on getting ETOPS approved to fly to Hawaii they had to do the same, since they were not ETOPS approved nor had they ever operated long over ocean flights at that point. Southwest, Jetblue before they expanded to include over ocean flights, they had no need for ETOPS as they never ventured far enough form land to need it.
Interesting! In light of all our discussions about Climate Change, they should at least cram the plane full of cargo to make use of that fuel!
Old Jul 14th 2021, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Interesting! In light of all our discussions about Climate Change, they should at least cram the plane full of cargo to make use of that fuel!

I don't know if they can take revenue cargo, but if they could would be a way to offset some of the cost of the proving runs.

Not really a day where a big airline isn't flying empty planes somewhere, be it for maintenance, or repositioning or some other reason.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if they can take revenue cargo, but if they could would be a way to offset some of the cost of the proving runs.

Not really a day where a big airline isn't flying empty planes somewhere, be it for maintenance, or repositioning or some other reason.
I imagine there are some specialized traders who try to match spare cargo capacity with people needing stuff moved around? I know FedEx and UPS have their own planes, but I could also imagine them having a deal with other airlines to use them if they have space.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems it may have been a maintenance oops. Rumor online is maintenance was doing a solenoid gear up test and put the nosewheel pin into the wrong hole.
That rumour has been confirmed by the AAIB. Turns out there were 2 techs. One knew which hole it went in, one didn’t. Unfortunately, the tech that knew was too short to reach so asked the tech that didn’t know to do it, and he chose his hole unwisely. When a diagnostic check was run on the gear, it retracted LOL. I can just imagine the guy in the cockpits heart sinking as the planes nose lowered itself down onto the ramp.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I imagine there are some specialized traders who try to match spare cargo capacity with people needing stuff moved around? I know FedEx and UPS have their own planes, but I could also imagine them having a deal with other airlines to use them if they have space.
There are indeed cargo companies who specialize in what you describe.

I am not familiar with the new A321's that can do these longer over ocean flights, not sure what their payload is once passengers, fuel, and bags are accounted for.

The JFK flights I used to work from Vancouver often weight restricted so we rarely loaded any cargo on those flights, they were usually 737-800's, Atlanta could finicky too sometimes.

Alaska took a fair chunk of cargo on their 737 Vancouver to Seattle flights, lots of passengers usually, but so little fuel was needed, they could really fill the belly up with cargo.

I don't think Alaska has 737's on the route anymore though, Alaska has steadily downsized Vancouver over the years, hard to believe today that in late 1990's to 2003 ish, Alaska almost had a miniature hub in Vancouver.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markonline1
That rumour has been confirmed by the AAIB. Turns out there were 2 techs. One knew which hole it went in, one didn’t. Unfortunately, the tech that knew was too short to reach so asked the tech that didn’t know to do it, and he chose his hole unwisely. When a diagnostic check was run on the gear, it retracted LOL. I can just imagine the guy in the cockpits heart sinking as the planes nose lowered itself down onto the ramp.
I wouldn't want to be that person, putting the pin into the wrong hole like that.

Basically what happened when I was with America West and we had a 757 fall on its nose, a pin was either incorrectly placed or someone had forgotten, I can't remember the specifics it was like 20 years ago now.

Old Jul 15th 2021, 5:25 am
Account Closed

Juan has a good video up on the ditching/crash in Hawaii, includes some NTSB photos underwater.

Old Jul 17th 2021, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Can't believe it's been 25 years.

TWA 800 JFK to Paris bound 747-100 exploded shortly after departure killing all 230 people onboard.

There will be a private memorial gathering for the family tonight on Long Island.

The wreckage has been in a hangar in Virginia where the NTSB has used it for training purposes, but will begin dismantling and destroying it in the coming weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/polit...ial/index.html
Old Jul 17th 2021, 5:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe it's been 25 years.

TWA 800 JFK to Paris bound 747-100 exploded shortly after departure killing all 230 people onboard.

There will be a private memorial gathering for the family tonight on Long Island.

The wreckage has been in a hangar in Virginia where the NTSB has used it for training purposes, but will begin dismantling and destroying it in the coming weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/polit...ial/index.html

I remember that so well. We were in the car driving home in NJ on I-80. I turned around to speak to my daughter and through the back window, saw what looked like a rocket in the distance. I mentioned it to hubby at the time. When we got home we heard about TWA 800.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

Old Jul 17th 2021, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

That's awful. A likely stroke by the sound of it. She sounded flaky at the call-back too.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

I was thinking possibly a stroke or something medical before she even left the ground, she didn't sound great. Reported to have been 74 years old, and had flown that plane for over a decade, so doesn't sound like she was inexperienced.

Fortunately the house was empty at the time of the crash.

Originally Posted by steveq
That's awful. A likely stroke by the sound of it. She sounded flaky at the call-back too.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steveq
Pure speculation. Happened at my airport.

Ok, I’ve just opened the video link and read the comments. Jeeeeeeez. So tempted to reply to some of those comments, but I do quite enjoy my job.

Last edited by markonline1; Jul 17th 2021 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember that so well. We were in the car driving home in NJ on I-80. I turned around to speak to my daughter and through the back window, saw what looked like a rocket in the distance. I mentioned it to hubby at the time. When we got home we heard about TWA 800.
I remember doing homework for class and waiting for dinner, when the local news suddenly switched to live shot with Peter Jennings, on the west coast the only time you got national news anchors on live was when something major happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.