Planespotting II

Old Mar 18th 2019, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planespotting II

737's have been around for a very long time.

They have a good record, the Max seems to have additional controls as it is less stable and as stability seems to be the issue with both of these accidents then that would seem the obvious issue.

Having a discussion about future of electric cars, self driving etc and could not help but think if $100m planes have issues then what chance have $20k cars, ok they operate in 2 dimensions but much more complicated situations, there is a lot of space up there and not that many aircraft.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 1:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
737's have been around for a very long time.

They have a good record, the Max seems to have additional controls as it is less stable and as stability seems to be the issue with both of these accidents then that would seem the obvious issue.

Having a discussion about future of electric cars, self driving etc ....
I suspect that the true "self driving car", as in "no steering wheel, zero human oversight of the controls", is further away than people are led to believe, because "true self-driving" is going to mean the manufacturer takes on full liability for injuries and death. And I can't see any car company in America lasting long, or making money given the liability insurance costs, if they take on the risk of selling a self-driving car.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that the true "self driving car", as in "no steering wheel, zero human oversight of the controls", is further away than people are led to believe, because "true self-driving" is going to mean the manufacturer takes on full liability for injuries and death. And I can't see any car company in America lasting long, or making money given the liability insurance costs, if they take on the risk of selling a self-driving car.
I have to agree, that was the very point I made. We were discussing Tesla's and the acquisition cost is subsidised currently, quite a bit in Colorado, and has a long warranty which is built into the high price. There must be a point where the Government will need to tax EV's.

Now of course current vehicles have a longer term Products Liability risk and a cost to the manufacturer, but nothing compared to what this potentially has. You basically have to build in the liability insurance cost for the life of the vehicle. And then what happens if we have the MAX scenario?

My understanding certainly with Military Aircraft and I assume Civil Aircraft is that the ongoing lifetime maintenance package costs more than the initial purchase price. So the Manufacturer has a much greater involvement over the life of the plane.

I was watching a YouTube series where these guys flew a light aircraft around he world, interested in the avionics, auto pilot navigation systems weather etc.not something I knew much about and was interested in how they did it. The amount of time they spent checking and preparing before each leg was impressive.

Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

"Federal Aviation Administration managers pushed its engineers to delegate wide responsibility for assessing the safety of the 737 MAX to Boeing itself. But safety engineers familiar with the documents shared details that show the analysis included crucial flaws."

As Boeing hustled in 2015 to catch up to Airbus and certify its new 737 MAX, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) managers pushed the agency’s safety engineers to delegate safety assessments to Boeing itself, and to speedily approve the resulting analysis.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ion-air-crash/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 18th 2019 at 3:31 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 11:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people never learn!

Old Mar 18th 2019, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

I am going to assume the load shifted in the top picture.

I did think of a scenario which would be akin to Aircraft for Car Manufacturers, say an annual inspection and re certification requirement the cost of which would include the liability cost.

Manufacturers have the ability to remotely control functionality so no pay no play.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Air Force 2 visiting our little neck of the woods. Never thought I’d hear the words, “Mark, the secret service want to speak to you” LOL

Old Mar 19th 2019, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Air Force 2 visiting our little neck of the woods. Never thought I’d hear the words, “Mark, the secret service want to speak to you” LOL

Apparently AF 1 visited State College a few years ago, and a guy turned up at our company offices, which face the airport and said simply " The Secret Service are placing snipers on your roof". No please.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Apparently AF 1 visited State College a few years ago, and a guy turned up at our company offices, which face the airport and said simply " The Secret Service are placing snipers on your roof". No please.
I can very believe it. I remember when the queen used to fly from LHR, and all she had was a couple of outriders LOL.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 6:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The aircraft of the future?

Old Mar 19th 2019, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to assume the load shifted in the top picture.
Shifted as in they took too much out of the front and not enough from the back.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 11:29 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Air Force 2 visiting our little neck of the woods.

Unless Pence was aboard it's just a Boeing C-32
Old Mar 19th 2019, 11:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to assume the load shifted
That's what the donkey said!
Old Mar 19th 2019, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8829896.html

More info on the incorrectly unloaded 747.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

737-900 in passenger use has a tendency to tip as well, tail stand more or less fixes the issue so you can off load front back and passengers at the same time.

If no tail stand best to unload the back first and once the the aft is empty and most passengers are off, start with the front, some airlines wont let you even remove 1 bag or passenger without a tail stand in place on a 737-900 and some go a step further and also use tail stands on the 737-800 but the 738 is less prone to tipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.