Planespotting II

Old Aug 20th 2020, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Couple of Gripens VERY low, over head this morning, no chance of a photo though..
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Did the pilots exit through the windows? Why wouldn't they use the normal door?
I imagine the pilots wanted out quickly in case there was a fire, and the main door is still pretty high off the ground, so they used the emergency escape rope through the cockpit window. (from some comments I have seen around the internet, sounds like the main cabin door on the cargo variant doesn't have evacuation slides like the passenger version has.)

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/f...t-lax-airport/

Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

American's way to pressure the government for more money?

AA to suspend service to 15 airports for October.

None scream major market.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I recognise 2/3 of the names. Americans fly a lot! I'm amazed when I look at a tracking site and see the flights in progress around the world, and the patterns in US airspace are so thick it looks like a scouring pad.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caretaker
I recognise 2/3 of the names. Americans fly a lot! I'm amazed when I look at a tracking site and see the flights in progress around the world, and the patterns in US airspace are so thick it looks like a scouring pad.
Lack of viable train service + relatively affordable fares = lots of trips.

I used to hop Southwest from San Diego to Vegas, San Francisco, sometimes Phoenix, just for a quick weekend to do something different fares were cheap and only an hour flight roughly.

Old Aug 21st 2020, 10:55 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

American's way to pressure the government for more money?

AA to suspend service to 15 airports for October.

Seems like they would all be American Eagle destinations IMO, not mainline.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by civilservant
Seems like they would all be American Eagle destinations IMO, not mainline.
I wouldn't be surprised is some on that list are EAS city's, based on the wording of the release, and prior threats to suspend service if funding was extended, I think its a ploy to get more funding.

Old Aug 21st 2020, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of viable train service + relatively affordable fares = lots of trips.

The huge distances between major population centers, combined with the lack of viable stopping points in between, really dooms US train service in my opinion - especially out west. As an example, to get from SF to LA, you have to run track for over 400 miles, and other than San Jose, there aren't really any cities in between worth stopping at. To try to incorporate more cities, they are planning to detour via Fresno and Bakersfield, which adds to the journey time and the length of track needed. Compare to UK, where you have London-Edinburgh at a similar 400 miles, with the entire country in between! There are major cities all along the route, making it viable. But for flight, all you need is a takeoff and a landing spot - the airports - and you can ignore the vast desert in between. Adding to the fun in CA is the mountain range just north of LA - rising over 4,000 feet (lowest point) and thus requiring either tunnels, or, a major detour.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

The huge distances between major population centers, combined with the lack of viable stopping points in between, really dooms US train service in my opinion - especially out west. As an example, to get from SF to LA, you have to run track for over 400 miles, and other than San Jose, there aren't really any cities in between worth stopping at. To try to incorporate more cities, they are planning to detour via Fresno and Bakersfield, which adds to the journey time and the length of track needed. Compare to UK, where you have London-Edinburgh at a similar 400 miles, with the entire country in between! There are major cities all along the route, making it viable. But for flight, all you need is a takeoff and a landing spot - the airports - and you can ignore the vast desert in between. Adding to the fun in CA is the mountain range just north of LA - rising over 4,000 feet (lowest point) and thus requiring either tunnels, or, a major detour.
No doubt, it's the same in Canada. Outside of the Montreal and Toronto corridor, there really is no way to make rail viable, even in the Montreal to Toronto. There simply isn't enough people, if it wasn't for the federal government subsidizing Via Rail, they wouldn't exist and the only reason the long haul trains exist is because they are heavily subsidized.

And there is pretty vast distances between major city's and of course western Canada has big mountains, it takes Via Rail something like 12 hours to go from Kamloops to Vancouver, its about a 4 hour drive, and the train doesn't make very many stops between the 2 points, its simply because the train goes really really slow down the mountain.

But flying in Canada is way more expensive so no Southwest, Spirit, or Frontier like fares, its often cheaper to fly Vancouver to China than it is to fly Vancouver to Toronto. I have never actually flown domestically within Canada as the fares are always too high.

I do think I would have quite liked to be born in a country with capability to have good train service, I really enjoy riding on trains, and while I know why the US and Canada can't really have trains, just look to other countries and amazed sometimes how good they have it train wise....

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 21st 2020 at 6:13 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

LA and the Bay Area have large populations, and if public transport in cities is improved, I think the line will work, as people will no longer think I'm going to need a car anyway so I might as well drive all the way.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my colleagues planned to fly down to Orange County on the inaugural JSX flight until it got cancelled due to C19. He looked at grabbing the train. If I remember correctly, he said getting on at Salinas would be a 14 hour journey down to LA!!!!! I could walk there quicker!
Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by markonline1
One of my colleagues planned to fly down to Orange County on the inaugural JSX flight until it got cancelled due to C19. He looked at grabbing the train. If I remember correctly, he said getting on at Salinas would be a 14 hour journey down to LA!!!!! I could walk there quicker!
You don't take trains in the US or Canada for speed, you take them for the experience. Acela is probably about as close to a quick train as you will find in the US/Canada at the moment, but its the exception.

Old Aug 21st 2020, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't take trains in the US or Canada for speed, you take them for the experience. Acela is probably about as close to a quick train as you will find in the US/Canada at the moment, but its the exception.
In Europe you certainly don't take a flight for speed - "Time to spare, go by air".
Old Aug 21st 2020, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
LA and the Bay Area have large populations, and if public transport in cities is improved, I think the line will work, as people will no longer think I'm going to need a car anyway so I might as well drive all the way.
I lived in London and "needed a car anyway" .... there was easily an average of one car per house in the entire street, and it's not like I was in the outer fringes - I was in Zone 4, west of Wimbledon town centre. If I visited my parents on a weekend, it was as quick door-to-door to drive even if I set off in the Friday rush hour. Outside of the rush hour it was quicker to drive door-to-door than I could get from my parents' house as far as Paddington. So I don't see many Americans outside of the center city cores, such as Manhattan or the heart of San Frnacisco, being persuaded any time soon to give up their cars.

That said the same can be true in the US driving v flying, on the east coast at least. I can drive to DC as quick as flying, because of the time taken to get to the airport, check-in, board, then get a taxi at the other end. I used to drive to Philly as I found the time saving wasn't great and I preferred the flexibility of driving, and I like driving.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 21st 2020 at 9:42 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Well, yes, the current train situation between SF and LA is a joke; part of it is actually achieved by bus (dealing with the mountain parts). But they are projecting a 2hr 40 minute journey time, if it's ever built, from SF downtown to LA downtown. Hard to say if 2hr 40 min 'end to end' is fast enough to bring in enough customers. You can sit and work, or walk around, during that time so it can be productive, but when you can fly in 1 hr (including takeoff/land, taxing, etc - gate to gate - it's a hard sell in my book to justify the train. I'm sure there will be 'some' security, though probably not as much as with air travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.