Planespotting II

Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

if a plane had been as far off the appropriate descent path as PIA 8303 was it would have been told, in no uncertain terms, to "go around".
Have you ever listened to LiveATC from somewhere like JFK or LaGuardia? The controllers there can be somewhat 'intimidating' and they would have most clearly got their point across.

Although being intimidating can have it's own problems, as Avianca Flight 52 found out.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Have you ever listened to LiveATC from somewhere like JFK or LaGuardia? ....
I haven't but with as many aircraft in the air over and near NYC, and three major airports within a few miles of each other, not to mention Teterboro too, I doubt there is any other way to manage ATC there.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As has been noted previously ATC in this case was rather non-commital when as I understand it, in North America and Europe, if a plane had been as far off the appropriate descent path as PIA 8303 was it would have been told, in no uncertain terms, to "go around".
I must admit that I’m out of date with the latest.

Re ATC, yes correct, you do as they say, if it does not endanger the aircraft. I seem to remember someone saying that ATC didn’t have the right to do that. Of course, they have, they can very easily just cancel any landing clearance previously given. I have been told to go around several times, you don’t question it. I better add that they were mainly for aircraft not clearing the runway quick enough when I was on short finals.

The operators in the area in question are pretty hot headed and very proud, but not always correct in their actions. Just my opinion from experience.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever listened to LiveATC from somewhere like JFK or LaGuardia? The controllers there can be somewhat 'intimidating' and they would have most clearly got their point across.

Although being intimidating can have it's own problems, as Avianca Flight 52 found out.
Having flown Avianca a few times, your reference to Flight 52 peaked my interest. I had no knowledge of that incident. Here's a brief accounting of it. Scary stuff!

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/05/n...-disaster.html
Old Aug 4th 2020, 5:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It was the source material for an Air Crash Investigation episode. I thoroughly enjoy most of these and recommend them. You can find this episode here on YT:

Old Aug 4th 2020, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin Atlantic has filed Chapter 15 protection in the US.

Article here.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
Great clip, thanks for posting.

Pity the 10 was nicknamed the Death Cruiser
Daily Crash seemed quite appropriate for it's record in the early years.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldJuddian
The first time that came to the Farnborough Air Show I was in the Monkey Puzzle's (a pub) garden and was amazed that something so large could fly, and it turned so low over Farnborough.
Working in the Southwood was nearly impossible during the Air Show due to noise, but many people were able to get great photos from on top the company's parking garages.
Haha, the monkey puzzle. Now there’s a blast from the past! That was a 2 minute walk from my
house.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like American is suspending Vancouver, Canada after Labor Day for the remainder of the year (possibly longer I assume depending on how things go.)

Pre-COVID they flew to O'hare, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Dallas, Dallas has been just about the only route operating most of the year though.

Leaves Delta, Horizon/Alaska & United as the US carriers left, they all seem optimistic for the fall at the moment looking at their schedules.

Old Aug 7th 2020, 6:45 am
Account Closed

According to this source who appears to have gotten confirmation from Qantas spokesperson, Qantas will be sending most of their 787 fleet to store in California, some will remain in Australia.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...rt-for-storage
Old Aug 7th 2020, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Breaking news in the past few minutes, a plane has crashed on landing in southern India. It is reported sofar that there are survivors and at least two fatalities.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 4:24 pm
Often not so civil...

Three fatalities according to CNN. Plane skidded off the runway after touchdown.
Old Aug 7th 2020, 4:36 pm

Three fatalities according to CNN. Plane skidded off the runway after touchdown.
It appears that Calicut, where the plane crashed, is not the sort of runway that you want to slide off/ over-run. Obviously that is never good at any airport, but Calicut is an airport where leaving the paved area is never going to end well!
Old Aug 7th 2020, 4:43 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It appears that Calicut, where the plane crashed, is not the sort of runway that you want to slide off/ over-run. Obviously that is never good at any airport, but Calicut is an airport where leaving the paved area is never going to end well!
indeed! I know that tabletop runways are necessary in some places, but you can guarentee that there will be a disaster at some point!
Old Aug 7th 2020, 4:52 pm

indeed! I know that tabletop runways are necessary in some places, but you can guarentee that there will be a disaster at some point!
Looks like "broken into two pieces" might be an overly optimisitic description.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.