Planespotting II

Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:19 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

hero: a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities
I think what he did merits as an outstanding achievement, and so did the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators who awarded him and the crew their 'Master's Medal' for outstanding aviation achievement.

So try again sir, because you're full of crap.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:24 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Even the NTSB concurred that, given the situation and the thinking/action time he had, the result that happened was the best case.

He landed a plane, on the water, with no engines, that resulted in no fatalities. That's pretty bloody miraculous to me.

So what would you have done that the NTSB could not find?
What else could he have done, try to land on a city street?...When a private pilot loses his engine he's trained to immediately determine how far he can glide, it's basic... It's a simple equation (airspeed and altitude) that all pilots are trained over and over to do really fast all by themselves. He had a first officer. And landing on water is no more difficult than landing on concrete- The only danger would have been one engine hitting the water first, but that danger exsists when you land on a runway..

Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Please. The NTSB replicated the accident flight, under the same conditions, and a good number of those pilots in the simulator crashed the plane. That's in the NTSB report.

What is it? Jealousy? Wanting to tear down someone else for doing something that your average Joe on the street couldn't?

What aircraft are you type rated for exactly?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:40 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

I think what he did merits as an outstanding achievement, and so did the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators who awarded him and the crew their 'Master's Medal' for outstanding aviation achievement.

So try again sir, because you're full of crap.
Well, my father retired as a 747 captain, my brother just retired as an A320 captain and I hold a commercial license, w/multi, instrument ratings, and ....It's a joke..

The only amazing thing about that to me is that the plane floated for so long..As far as the actual flying was concerned It was just a normal landing-

I was a "child prodigy" on a collegiate national championship precision flying team in the early 80's... People would say, oh you're a good pilot. I always thought it was funny because it's just like saying "you're a good car driver" when just about everybody drives a car exactly is the same.. ...It's not that hard...

People and the press wanna have hero's... Have at it, it doesn't hurt anyone...
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:45 pm
Often not so civil...

So a few posts ago you said....

I was the president of the labor union which represented mechanics, gate agents, ramp service and cabin cleaners at United Airlines for 13 years....
and now apparently:...

I hold a commercial license, w/multi, instrument ratings, and ...
So which is it? Did you clean the plane or fly the thing? One does not become 'President of Labor Union' which has nothing to do with his job, and if you were in fact, President, then why were you not following a career as a pilot while holding your many alleged ratings?

Ever heard of the term 'Walter Mitty'?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Mirror
Any pilot who loses all power and couldn't make it back to the field would have decided to land in the river and any pilot could have made that landing..Certainly any commercial pilot

So he's not a hero, and it wasn't a miracle

He did his job
Tough crowd
Old Jul 29th 2020, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

What else could he have done, try to land on a city street?...When a private pilot loses his engine he's trained to immediately determine how far he can glide, it's basic... It's a simple equation (airspeed and altitude) that all pilots are trained over and over to do really fast all by themselves. He had a first officer. And landing on water is no more difficult than landing on concrete- The only danger would have been one engine hitting the water first, but that danger exsists when you land on a runway..
Complete crap.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:16 pm
Banned

Please. The NTSB replicated the accident flight, under the same conditions, and a good number of those pilots in the simulator crashed the plane. That's in the NTSB report.

What is it? Jealousy? Wanting to tear down someone else for doing something that your average Joe on the street couldn't?

What aircraft are you type rated for exactly?
Well, if you must know...

Numerious... 727 is the biggest. I flew it for a mail hauler on weekends in the 90's. I went to the flight school at F.I.T. in Mebourne Florida in the early 80's... I made numerous quite lucrative but "unauthorized" flights to the Bahamas while in school, at about 10 feet off the ocean. I got caught- One day a certified letter from the FAA came to my dorm room accusing me of numerious violations- and giving me a court date in Atlanta. I responded to the acusations with a 3 page letter full of lies explaining why the aircraft (I had out) was where it was when it was. I walked down to the mail box, put it in there and called an aviation lawyer in Miami. The very first thing the lawyer said to me was "whatever you do, do not respond to that letter" lol... Anyway, long story short, I did'nt get criminally convicted of anything, but there is was a blemish on my record that prevented me from flying people commercially. I was kicked out of school, but.....I had enough money to buy a house, a car, a pressurized Mooney and money left over to live for a few years. When the money was running out my wife made me get a job as a baggage handler.. I hated it.. I actually saw people I went to school with doing walk arounds while I was loading baggage. They were always like "WTF?" That first year I called in sick 19 days, they called me into the office with a shop steward.. I was informed that my attendence record was unacceptable and the shop steward pounds the table so hard that papers flew, and he screams "THE MAN HASN'T CALLED IN SICK IN THREE WEEKS!" lol...I was thinking "that's our defense?"... The shop steward told me to leave the room, and I heard what almost sounded like a physical fight going on in there..I overheard the steward calling the supervisor a pussy for not backing up his guys and whatnot...The steward comes out and say's.."go back to work, it's over, don't worry about it". The guy saved my life because I had a small child at the time and really needed the job.. He was my hero- I wanted to be a hero too so I became a shop steward, then a business agent, then a treasurer, then vp and eventually the president of the local. I retired after 911 .. I'm 58 and i've been retired for almost 20 years, so i'm not jealous.. I did good and they still refer to me as "the legend"

Flying for an airline is not glamorous, my father called himself a "glorified bus driver"

Last edited by The Mirror; Jul 29th 2020 at 3:23 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by audio
Complete crap.
Its flight training 101..Of course..

You don't know what youre talking about- Why do you so desperately need this guy to be a hero? lol
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:20 pm
Often not so civil...

Perhaps because 'the largest thing you flew was a 727' is why you feel the need to knock someone else.

I'm sure you are aware that there is a massive difference between ditching a 727 and ditching an A320, right?

I made numerous unauthorized flights to the Bahamas while in school, at about 10 feet off the ocean.
That's it, I'm out. That told me all I need to know right there about who I'm talking too.

Ignore list.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Its flight training 101..Of course..

You don't know what youre talking about- Why do you so desperately need this guy to be a hero? lol
Well, I think I do.

How about a quote from 101 to back up your engine out and landing on water theories?

Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Complete crap.
Er yeah! It makes me wonder why there are any plane crashes.

Surely if Sully had "just been doing his job, same as anyone else would", any pilot who's plane wasn't brought down by a missile would just perform a run-of-the-mill off-runway landing on the nearest convenient flat-ish surface, and all the passengers would walk away? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 29th 2020 at 3:37 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:31 pm
Often not so civil...

Pfft. Who needs runways? They're sooooo 1980s!

I hear Heathrow is being gravelled.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pfft. Who needs runways? They're sooooo 1980s!

I hear Heathrow is being gravelled.
Don’t forget that the River Thames will be the next UK runway as according to some landing on water is no more difficult than concrete.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 3:43 pm
Often not so civil...

Don’t forget that the River Thames will be the next UK runway as according to some landing on water is no more difficult than concrete.
All we need is some of those large cranes to remove the aircraft from the water so that the passengers can deplane.

We have solved the runway capacity problem for the whole of the South East in 2 posts! Go us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.