Planespotting II

Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

8 track tapes? Minidiscs?

Abacus?

With respect to the A380, it was never going to work long term. It was a generation in design too late. i never thought it especially good to look at either, and that's the cardinal sin in aviation
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
..... Minidiscs? .....
I'd forgotten about them entirely .... I think I have maybe three or four of those.
..... With respect to the A380, it was never going to work long term. It was a generation in design too late. i never thought it especially good to look at either, and that's the cardinal sin in aviation
I think the project wasn't well thought through - that if there were a significant number of them in use they would have necessitated large and massively crowded hub airports, at a time when it was already increasingly obvious that it was going to be challenging to increase the size of many airports to handle the number of passengers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 19th 2020 at 2:08 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’m guessing I could upgrade to business class for the rest of my life, on the proceeds of the soda, cold “tea,” bottled water, fruit juice, new age beverages, etc etc. that I HAVEN’T bought over my lifetime.

Tap water in New York is superb - from our well - here in Norfolk, courtesy of Anglia Water, is unpleasant - but it’s what I drink. Here I keep it in a jug for several hours, and it tastes a bit better than straight from the tap.

Yeah, maybe it’s just Air Canada, but I tried their hot tea a couple of times back in the nineties, and never again. As for the coffee, served at about 5am over Ireland (I.e. midnight EST) it smells so nauseating that there’s no way. Especially when I can look forward to a large black americano at Caffe Nero in T2 in a couple of hours.
May be able to offer an insight; from another place - at sea level, water boils at 100 °C (212 °F). For every 500-foot (150 m) increase in elevation, water's boiling point is lowered by approximately 0.5 °C. At 8,000 feet (2,400 m) in elevation, water boils at just 92 °C (198 °F). It affects the taste of food and drink at altitude.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'd forgotten about them entirely .... I think I have maybe three or four of those.

I think the project wasn't well thought through - that if there were a significant number of them in use they would have necessitated large and massively crowded hub airports, at a time when it was already increasingly obvious that it was going to be challenging to increase the size of many airports to handle the number of passengers.
Who was responsible for introducing the A380? I'm always reminded of Concord(e), which was a European status project destined for failure, and noted that Boeing never tried to compete. Does Boeing have anything comparable to the A380?

I am increasingly thinking that it's not new technology that makes me feel old, or the obsolete things that have gone away, it's the things that I remember being new and novel, that have now largely completed their life cycle during my lifetime and have declined significantly or even disappeared.
DVDs, CDs, even BluRay disks ...
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Who was responsible for introducing the A380? I'm always reminded of Concord(e), which was a European status project destined for failure, and noted that Boeing never tried to compete. ....
That depends on how you define "never tried to compete". The Boeing 2707 is an interesting story, but encouraged by the US government starting in 1962, Boeing bit off more than they could chew, by trying to take on the laws of physics - bigger and faster isn't always better, and might not be possible, and the program was abandoned in 1971.

..... DVDs, CDs, even BluRay disks ...
I still buy CDs - I've added three this month already.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't bought physical media in years, probably has to be close to 2010 maybe.

Music has been iTunes only since I bought the original iPhone when it was released in 2007.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to the A380, it was never going to work long term. It was a generation in design too late. i never thought it especially good to look at either, and that's the cardinal sin in aviation
I’d go a step further and say it looked shite. Ugly as hell. But in my time at the airport, I never saw a reaction to any aircraft like I did when that 380 came in. What’s bad, is every airport that thing flew into had to widen and strengthen their taxiways. Heathrow spent millions widening, probably 90% of the taxiways to accommodate that aircraft.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:38 pm

They're using a 747 for forest firefighting!?!?

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

They've converted some DC-10's as well; at least that had a KC version with the USAF.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cynic
They've converted some DC-10's as well; at least that had a KC version with the USAF.
Maybe somone could pick up a decommisioned A380 and convert it for firfighting?
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 2:00 pm
Often not so civil...

You jest, but with the wildfires that are likely to happen as the climate crisis accelerates, that might not be a bad idea at all, they are all young airframes that would last for a long time.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 2:14 pm

....., that might not be a bad idea at all, they are all young airframes that would last for a long time.
That was my thinking, and I wasn't entirely joking.

I see that the 747 is designed to drop it's load at 400-800ft and 160 knots - that would be quite a sight, seeing a 747 that low and slow over a forest; not quite as low and slow as AF296, but still impressive.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Saw it being discussed elsewhere; apparently not suitable for much more than what it does already; there was a rumour going around that the RAF might be interested to replace the C-17's that they've flown to death, but the 380 is just too big.

With Bruntingthorpe having its wings clipped, using Tristar as a fire-fighting tanker seems to have died with it.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 2:31 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

That was my thinking, and I wasn't entirely joking.

I see that the 747 is designed to drop it's load at 400-800ft and 160 knots - that would be quite a sight, seeing a 747 that low and slow over a forest; not quite as low and slow as AF296, but still impressive.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Firefighters' secret weapon vid
Thank you but I actually more meant being there, on the ground seeing/ experiencing it.

There are some things that you just can't capture the full experience of in a video or TV coverage - such as RR Olympus engines in a delta wing aircraft (either of them), 1990's era F1 engines, a pack of NASCAR cars at race speed, a full out-door festival sound system at a couple of hundred feet, a B-2 in a low-level pass, fully loaded Panavia Tornadoes over the Adriatic running afterburners, a convoy of three KC-135 Stratotankers so high in the sky (presumably 25,000ft+) that they were barely visible but would make your home's windows vibrate for about 15 minutes! , and I would think that a 747 at 400ft over a forest, would be another.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2020 at 3:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.