Planespotting II

Old May 14th 2020, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

I saw something the other night that intrigued me. Almost exactly 10 o'clock at night, something went overhead (i am in Charleston, SC) moving very fast, east to west, very loud with a solid red light. The only thing i can think of that it sounded like was concorde. A minute or two later, two planes flying close together, flashing red lights went overhead travelling in the same direction. Presume these were fast jets. Anyone any ideas what it could have been? There are a lot of C-17s at Charleston, but they are a lot slower (and quieter)
Old May 14th 2020, 8:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

SC Air National Guard possbily, although they would have been a little out of the way as they're stationed in Columbia.

They have F-16 Falcons.
Old May 14th 2020, 8:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
I saw something the other night that intrigued me. Almost exactly 10 o'clock at night, something went overhead (i am in Charleston, SC) moving very fast, east to west, very loud with a solid red light. The only thing i can think of that it sounded like was concorde. A minute or two later, two planes flying close together, flashing red lights went overhead travelling in the same direction. Presume these were fast jets. Anyone any ideas what it could have been? There are a lot of C-17s at Charleston, but they are a lot slower (and quieter)
Originally Posted by civilservant
SC Air National Guard possbily, although they would have been a little out of the way as they're stationed in Columbia.

They have F-16 Falcons.
USAF, most likely, though US Marines is possible. Likely some sort of training sortie, and therefore probably doesn't "mean" anything. Most of the ocean off the US eastern seaboard is designated as military training airspace, as with the curvature of the earth, most traffic from the UK and Europe can reach anywhere on the east coast, or further south at least as far as the western Caribbean by flying down the coast, not crossing through the western North Atlantic.

It is very common for fighter and attack aircraft to both train and work in pairs.

Was the "solid red light" identifiable as a marker light, or was it an intense orangy-red light visible as the aicraft flew away from you?

Last edited by Pulaski; May 14th 2020 at 9:35 pm.
Old May 14th 2020, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, to be clear, it was the first, solid red light that i was wondering about. It was a red marker light. I did wonder if it was a rocket/missile but i am sure i would have seen some exhaust flame
Old May 14th 2020, 9:10 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, to be clear, it was the first, solid red light that i was wondering about. It was a red marker light. I did wonder if it was a rocket/missile but i am sure i would have seen some exhaust flame
Big, loud, and fast leaves a bit of wiggle room there... I'm just going to let my imagination run wild.
Old May 14th 2020, 9:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I might have found the answer, but this flyover on 27 April took place late in the morning. Maybe they were running late?

Mark it in your calendar to check the skies late Monday morning.

The Airmen of the 169th Fighter Wing will be flying over the Charleston area on Monday morning, April 27 to salute and honor first responders and healthcare professionals.

Their six-ship formation Swamp Fox F-16 fighter jets will split into groups of three, each flying over a region of South Carolina. They'll be flying over the Charleston-area hospitals anywhere from 11:30-12:15 depending on the location.
https://abcnews4.com/news/local/f-16...over-on-monday
Old May 14th 2020, 9:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

From your description I was thinking that it might have been an afterburner. They make a plane fast and noisy, and are very bright, especially when seen from behind.
Old May 14th 2020, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Afterburner is possible - i just think i would have been able to tell the difference. Maybe if it was very high?
Old May 14th 2020, 10:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

That low on 'burner? Could have broken some windows.
Old May 14th 2020, 10:01 pm

Afterburner is possible - i just think i would have been able to tell the difference. Maybe if it was very high?
High, climbing, and heavily loaded is when the afterburner might be used - I saw Tornadoes (or perhaps F-16's?) heading out over the Adriatic at night towards Yugoslavia in the spring of 1999 (I was staying just outside Venice), and they were running afterburners to gain height. They made quite a racket for several minutes as they were quite high already.
Originally Posted by civilservant
That low on 'burner? Could have broken some windows.
Right, at low level over a populated area it couldn't have used a 'burner for more than a few seconds.
Old May 14th 2020, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

100 year old Captain Tom, who raised over 30M GBP for the National Health Service was treated to a fly over by Spitfire and Hurricanes.

Old May 15th 2020, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good time to be a pilot, I imagine other airlines are facing similiar issues of too many pilots.

By fall 2020, Delta is expecting to have 7,000 more pilots than it will need.

third quarter of 2021 Delta would have between 2,500 and 3,500 more pilots than needed for their schedule, even accounting for pilots who will reach mandatory retirement between now and next summer.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...-the-fall-memo

I would imagine other airlines are facing the same situation, and eventually involuntary lay offs will have to occur.

Delta had approx 15,000 pilots before COVID started,

Old May 15th 2020, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not a good time to be a pilot, I imagine other airlines are facing similiar issues of too many pilots.

By fall 2020, Delta is expecting to have 7,000 more pilots than it will need.

third quarter of 2021 Delta would have between 2,500 and 3,500 more pilots than needed for their schedule, even accounting for pilots who will reach mandatory retirement between now and next summer.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...-the-fall-memo

I would imagine other airlines are facing the same situation, and eventually involuntary lay offs will have to occur.

Delta had approx 15,000 pilots before COVID started,
I presume that Ch11 would open up possibilities for the airline to shed staff.
Old May 15th 2020, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I presume that Ch11 would open up possibilities for the airline to shed staff.
And frequent flyer miles?
Old May 15th 2020, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
And frequent flyer miles?
Did you have some?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.