Planespotting II

Old Oct 1st 2019, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by RICH
Living on the Pinellas side, I have never seen a military plane. I assumed they do their business as incognito as possible. As I understand, Centcom/McDill does not house a fleet of fighters, just refuelluing planes etc> I get to see Allegiant planes into Clw/StPete and coastgard helo frequently as I work by that airport.
Originally Posted by zzrmark
Hornets tend to come down from Virginia and stop for a while for training purposes, although there doesn't seem to have been any of the usual notifications in the media that they were coming this time.
I often see the coastguard planes overhead when I'm working near the Sarasota/Bradenton coastline.
The local news station (Fox13) announced this morning that Hornets were in the area and using Macdill as a training base until mid-October.

Don't forget you heard it here first!
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 2:03 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The local news station (Fox13) announced this morning that Hornets were in the area and using Macdill as a training base until mid-October.

Don't forget you heard it here first!
Thanks, I will keep an eye on the sky!
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sad news from Connecticut. A Collings Foundation B-17
crashed on takeoff from Bradley International with passengers aboard. These guys fly into Monterey every year as part of their Wings Of Freedom tour, so this has been pretty shocking news
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1061161
Old Oct 4th 2019, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Sad news from Connecticut. A Collings Foundation B-17
crashed on takeoff from Bradley International with passengers aboard. These guys fly into Monterey every year as part of their Wings Of Freedom tour, so this has been pretty shocking news
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1061161
I saw that on the news, right after reading the posts above praising the 'air show' exhibitions. I personally think it's crazy to assemble a bunch of people and then have planes do unnecessarily complex maneuvers right above them ... I used to be especially fearful when I lived in San Francisco, and the blue angels would play silly buggers right above the city and the bridge during 'fleet week' . I'm glad you all enjoy these shows, but they aren't my idea of fun!
Old Oct 4th 2019, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I saw that on the news, right after reading the posts above praising the 'air show' exhibitions. I personally think it's crazy to assemble a bunch of people and then have planes do unnecessarily complex maneuvers right above them ... I used to be especially fearful when I lived in San Francisco, and the blue angels would play silly buggers right above the city and the bridge during 'fleet week' . I'm glad you all enjoy these shows, but they aren't my idea of fun!
There are strict rules regarding air shows. The aircraft are not allowed to display directly over the crowd areas. I think the rules back home have become even stricter since the Shorham accident.
The Blue Angels display every year near here and we host them every other year. I sat in on some of their safety briefings between them, the air show organizers, the FAA etc, and the planning is beyond meticulous.
I’m a big airshow fan, but then working in the industry, and living in Farnborough before I moved out here, I guess I need to be.

Last edited by markonline1; Oct 4th 2019 at 8:10 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have an airshow in the summer that tends to be pretty good, about an hour east of Vancouver. I worked at that airport one summer, free airshow access lol

Just wish it had more commercial aircraft, like many airshows its very heavy on military and vintage aircraft, and while cool, are not really my main interest so I rarely go.
Old Oct 5th 2019, 9:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

They were pulling gliders in Oliver most of the morning; not sure if it's the Air Cadets or public clients.

Right now I'm just waiting to get on my ride back east.
Old Oct 5th 2019, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good flight home.

It's a fun little plane, I handled this type with a US airline, and it was tricky at times to fit all the bags in, we always bulked out of space in the summer, and bags couldn't get on.
Old Oct 5th 2019, 10:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Have a good flight home
Thanks; my cousin was a test pilot on the Dash-8, and he said it was the safest plane in the air. He said "I tried to crash it."
Old Oct 5th 2019, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There are strict rules regarding air shows. The aircraft are not allowed to display directly over the crowd areas. I think the rules back home have become even stricter since the Shorham accident.
The Blue Angels display every year near here and we host them every other year. I sat in on some of their safety briefings between them, the air show organizers, the FAA etc, and the planning is beyond meticulous.
I’m a big airshow fan, but then working in the industry, and living in Farnborough before I moved out here, I guess I need to be.
Yeah, I'm OK with it - it's just not my thing. I am absolutely fascinated by aircraft, and love air museums. I just don't like it when they do 'tricks' because I'm the type of engineer who is always thinking of the things that can go wrong
Old Oct 6th 2019, 12:57 am
Account Closed

I always liked flying on them, for a turbo prop they are a decent plane. Been a few years though, they are not used much on the routes I fly and seem to be slowly vanishing from US airlines.

Originally Posted by caretaker
Thanks; my cousin was a test pilot on the Dash-8, and he said it was the safest plane in the air. He said "I tried to crash it."
Old Oct 6th 2019, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I always liked flying on them, for a turbo prop they are a decent plane. Been a few years though, they are not used much on the routes I fly and seem to be slowly vanishing from US airlines.
It is like flying in a single decker bus (or a DMU train) though.
Old Oct 6th 2019, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just for you

https://youtu.be/Su1jLHRYYoI

Taken via my iPhone so doesn’t look that spectacular, but when I think it’ll how far away I am from home, it was incredibly cool to see them fly past my little part of the US. And considering they had flown up from San Diego, they arrived exactly to the minute they said they would.
Seems they flew over San Francisco Bay, I only found out about it after the event.
I used to go and see the Blue Angels, but the crowds, traffic and parking is a nightmare. The last time I went through all that the show was cancelled due to foggy conditions over the Bay.

Old Oct 6th 2019, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 6th 2019, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

They can be a little noisy and bumpy, but I never flew on one over an hour, only time I got to fly that type was when flying Alaska and connecting in Seattle from Vancouver, but they have mostly gone all jet service now, so they are less common. If I had a reason to fly within western Canada, there are more options, but I have no need to fly anywhere in Canada.

It is like flying in a single decker bus (or a DMU train) though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.