Planespotting II

Old Sep 6th 2019, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I've been watching the RAF Top Gun fighter pilot training on ITV.

"Documentary following three trainees at Britain's elite fighter pilot school, including the establishment's only female student. In the first episode, the pilots are put through their paces learning to fly the new F35 Lightning stealth jet. These planes can avoid radar, hover and land vertically, but with only a few months to bring them to the UK and prepare them for active service, the stakes a re high for the aspiring pilots"

Where do they train?
Old Sep 6th 2019, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Where do they train?
Anglesey, North Wales, and South Carolina, US.

Last edited by johnwoo; Sep 6th 2019 at 7:13 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

September 4th saw the last American Airlines MD-80 flight as the aircraft was retired from the fleet. The last passenger flight was AA80 from Dallas to O'hare operated by N984TW which was originally delivered to TWA in 1999.

Old Sep 13th 2019, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see the drone protests at Heathrow never took off (literally). When I first heard about the protest, a part of me wished I was still there. I’d have enjoyed taking the shotgun onto the airfield and blasting the drones out of the sky!
Old Sep 13th 2019, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Good to see the drone protests at Heathrow never took off (literally). When I first heard about the protest, a part of me wished I was still there. I’d have enjoyed taking the shotgun onto the airfield and blasting the drones out of the sky!
Are you telling me people think they have the right to fly drones right next to the airport?! That's something I'd expect perhaps in the US, not UK! As much as I'm fascinated by the technology, and would love to have one to play with, I'm very glad to see them banned in (eg) national parks and such. I go hiking every day on a beautiful trail near my home, up to the top of a mountain, and despite having a drone ban, some kids occasionally fly drones from the peak of the mountain. They are surprisingly noisy, and I'm always looking out for them as they zip around with great speed. I do love drone photography, though, and hope some sensible licensing can be worked out.
Old Sep 13th 2019, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you telling me people think they have the right to fly drones right next to the airport?! That's something I'd expect perhaps in the US, not UK! As much as I'm fascinated by the technology, and would love to have one to play with, I'm very glad to see them banned in (eg) national parks and such. I go hiking every day on a beautiful trail near my home, up to the top of a mountain, and despite having a drone ban, some kids occasionally fly drones from the peak of the mountain. They are surprisingly noisy, and I'm always looking out for them as they zip around with great speed. I do love drone photography, though, and hope some sensible licensing can be worked out.
It was a climate change group. By flying drones, they were hoping to ground flights. The Uk would appear to have a 5km exclusion zone around airports where drones can’t be flown.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was a climate change group. By flying drones, they were hoping to ground flights. The Uk would appear to have a 5km exclusion zone around airports where drones can’t be flown.
OMG ... F**king idiots! I would lock them up and throw away the key. I'm all for climate awareness and action, but disrupting air traffic is so utterly stupid it's beyond comprehension.

Besides, I thought the BA pilots were doing enough of that on their own!

Old Sep 14th 2019, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As part of the '9/11' programming the other day, they showed a documentary on TV that focused on the events in the small town of Gander, Newfoundland, which is the first airport and air traffic control center for North American airspace, and thus, bore the brunt of the decision to shut down US airspace that day. Remarkable story ... they landed about 39 'wide body' international jets and parked them wherever they could. The town had a total population of 9,400 (and 500 hotel beds), and they took in a total of about 7,000 passengers that day, passengers who stayed with them for several days until US airspace re-opened. Some passengers had to stay on the plane for 30+ hours until they could be 'processed' off the planes. I did a ton of reading about the subject afterwards. This article is a quick story - https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/...-9-11-11750919 . For a really intimate look at the story, this snopes article has a really cool 'letter' that was written at the time. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ga...ed-passengers/ Starts with: "We were about 5 hours out of Frankfurt flying over the North Atlantic ... "

Did the airlines bear the cost of re-scheduling everyone who was stranded? Who picked up the bill for the hotel stays that were obviously needed around the country (and world) at that time, when all the airlines were grounded? I'd love to read more about this 'logistical' side of the story.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 7:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the same group will be droning to prevent all those aircraft landing at Prestwick, Glasgow, etc carrying the 30,000 delegates for COP 26 next year.
Old Sep 14th 2019, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Besides, I thought the BA pilots were doing enough of that on their own!
Ha ha, yep. This was a screen shot of flight radar on Tuesday showing all the BA flights that were in the air

Old Sep 14th 2019, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The airline I was working for provided hotels for passengers stranded enroute, for passengers still at their airport of departure, no hotels were provided, and if I recall it was only 2 nights provided.

We waived all ticket restrictions and change fees and full refunds were offered to any passenger wanting one.

If I recall we began limited flight operations again on the 13th, or maybe the 14th, I can't remember.

As part of the '9/11' programming the other day, they showed a documentary on TV that focused on the events in the small town of Gander, Newfoundland, which is the first airport and air traffic control center for North American airspace, and thus, bore the brunt of the decision to shut down US airspace that day. Remarkable story ... they landed about 39 'wide body' international jets and parked them wherever they could. The town had a total population of 9,400 (and 500 hotel beds), and they took in a total of about 7,000 passengers that day, passengers who stayed with them for several days until US airspace re-opened. Some passengers had to stay on the plane for 30+ hours until they could be 'processed' off the planes. I did a ton of reading about the subject afterwards. This article is a quick story - https://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/...-9-11-11750919 . For a really intimate look at the story, this snopes article has a really cool 'letter' that was written at the time. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ga...ed-passengers/ Starts with: "We were about 5 hours out of Frankfurt flying over the North Atlantic ... "

Did the airlines bear the cost of re-scheduling everyone who was stranded? Who picked up the bill for the hotel stays that were obviously needed around the country (and world) at that time, when all the airlines were grounded? I'd love to read more about this 'logistical' side of the story.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 6:35 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Belgian F-16 crash pilot ejects on to power line
Old Sep 20th 2019, 8:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Felt increased resistance on the way down!
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Fingers still crossed but not looking good for TCX.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Four F-18's were playing silly buggers above our property today, I think they were doing large laps around Tampa Bay so we were treated to four flypasts in two pairs, presumably headed to or from Macdill. Quite impressive. We don't get much commercial or private overhead but seem to be on the flight path for Macdill and are regularly (but thankfully not in a nuisance way) treated to an impressive array of military hardware headed to and from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.