Planespotting II

Old Feb 14th 2019, 10:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Planespotting II

We allowed the Planespotting thread to lapse.

Airbus is ending the A380 program.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 12:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting II

Can't say I'm surprised, it has been on death row for awhile with only Emirates staying the execution. Airbus introduced it far too late (like over a decade) and at far too high a price for it ever to work. The 777 and A330 already proved that quad jets were irrelevant in the era of long range ETOPS ratings.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Heard supersonics were coming back, the other day.
We'll see...
(Or rather, hear...)
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Can't say I'm surprised, it has been on death row for awhile with only Emirates staying the execution. Airbus introduced it far too late (like over a decade) and at far too high a price for it ever to work. The 777 and A330 already proved that quad jets were irrelevant in the era of long range ETOPS ratings.
I agree, it would have had to have been launched significantly before, say five years before, the 777 to have had any chance of long-term survival, which would have meant a launch almost 20 years before its actual launch. That said, I think in any case he program was unlikely to last much beyond 2020.

Ironically I suspect that stopping making new ones may lead to the ones that are already flying being maintained in revenue earning service much longer. If you have one that you have owned for several years, and would like to replace it with a new one but can't because they no longer make them, refurbishment may be an attractive option.

There are a number of examples of such aircraft that remained in service long after they ceased production, in some cases for decades, with the DC3 Dakota being a classic example. In the world of military aircraft they are currently talking of ongoing refurbishment of B52's, that are currently expected to remain in service into the 2040's being further extended into the 2050's, meaning that they will be approaching 100 years old! The A10 Warthog is on a similar trajectory only 20 years behind the B52.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 14th 2019 at 2:28 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall reading recently that the a couple of the original airframes are sat somewhere being stripped for cheaper second hand parts then getting new parts from Airbus.

I suspect that they have a long long career ahead, even if only as freighters. I know that Fedex couldn't afford to buy one new, but imagine what they can haul across their trunk routes with a converted A380??
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:37 pm

Here's a report about a B-57 Canberra that NASA refurbished after 41 years in the boneyard! I heard that NASA pulled another one out of the boneyard as recently as a year or two ago, making three that they now have in service. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

The USAAF also pulled a B-52 out of the boneyard in the last year or two, to replace one they had lost. Among the items to attend to before it was airworthy again, was to bolt the wings back on!
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Heard supersonics were coming back, the other day.
We'll see...
(Or rather, hear...)
Yes, here it is. I'm not sure that calling it BOOM is the best PR strategy.
https://boomsupersonic.com/

The Grudian is already spreading alarm about it:

Heathrow could get sonic boom 'every five minutes' from fast jets

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...from-fast-jets
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Yes, here it is. I'm not sure that calling it BOOM is the best PR strategy.
https://boomsupersonic.com/

The Grudian is already spreading alarm about it:Heathrow could get sonic boom 'every five minutes' from fast jets. …..

That would be some serious acceleration if sonic booms generated by departing aircraft could actually be heard at Heathrow! …. What do they envisage, aircraft launched by some sort of nuclear-powered rail gun?

I would guess that Swindon or Oxford might have more to worry about.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That would be some serious acceleration if sonic booms generated by departing aircraft could actually be heard at Heathrow! …. I would guess that Swindon or Oxford might have more to worry about.
Or maybe they will be arriving at supersonic speed.. I would love to watch those landings!!!!

No better sight than watching Concorde landing at LHR.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:02 pm

Or maybe they will be arriving at supersonic speed.. I would love to watch those landings!!!!

Maybe. saw it fly from LHR when the rooftop public observation area was still open, I also used to see, or should I say "feel" it fly overhead on its landing approach when I lived at Kew, and later saw it take off over Wimbledon when the winds were from the east. I was also lucky enough to see several of them in flight tests at Fairford, where they used to publish the testing schedule for those who wanted to see it.

All that said, I enjoyed even more seeing Concorde's RR Olympus engines flying in another aircraft.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 14th 2019 at 3:11 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Impressive as that would be, at least there'd be no sonic boom, as they'd already have crossed the sound barrier before they get there.

Are we even at the stage where efficient and affordable supersonic travel is close to being on the cards though? That Concorde (as much as I love it) lasted as long as it did was something of a fluke, surely. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a 4hr flight from North America to the British Isles makes me tingle in a funny way, but I'd hate to see some kind of poorly implemented program fall on its arse again.

My inner 8 year old would say seeing it land at Aldergrove during the 1987 Ulster Air Show, but that's the only time I've ever seen a Concorde landing (or indeed takeoff) in person so I'm not exactly being objective here
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:34 pm
Often not so civil...

All that said, I enjoyed even more seeing Concorde's RR Olympus engines flying in another aircraft.
XH558?
Old Feb 14th 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
XH558?
And her sisters.

I would have loved to see the Argies when one appeared over Port Stanley. Surely that was about the last thing they expected to see flying over the Falklands, though just 30 days earlier, neither did anyone else on the planet!

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 14th 2019 at 3:43 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Only got to fly on a A380 once. Can't say it felt particularly special. If anything it was a nightmare with the boarding and departing procedures due to the sheer volume of the thing.

Much prefer the 777 and 787's I've been on lately.
Old Feb 14th 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91
Only got to fly on a A380 once. Can't say it felt particularly special. ……

…. 787's I've been on lately.
My thoughts exactly on the 787s I have flown on (probably the same one twice) - totally underwhelming, if anything with less leg room than planes like the A330 and 777, and I hated that the "blinds" remained forcibly closed long after it became daylight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.