Planespotting

Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planespotting

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Go up quick when they're empty, don't they!

Yep - Pity that woman couldn't have moved her Noggin out of the way.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally inconceivable how this could happen! This could have ended badly. I'll be amazed if that crew fly again for Southwest.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:08 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree the flight crew are unlikely to fly again, you shouldn't be too rash to blame them - the technology can easily lead a pilot astray. You miss a single punch on the FMC and you can end up in a mountain.

(American Airlines 965)
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
While I agree the flight crew are unlikely to fly again, you shouldn't be too rash to blame them - the technology can easily lead a pilot astray. You miss a single punch on the FMC and you can end up in a mountain.

(American Airlines 965)
Agreed, but 18 years ago it seemed more reasonable. Now people have GPSs and smart phones such that perhaps a third of the passengers on the SWA flight had the technology to ascertain that they were in the wrong place (yes, I know they aren't allowed to use it in flight, but hypothetically they could), but the aircrew apparently did not, or failed to use it/ use it properly.

Given that it is just about possible for a plane to plot it's own course from A to B, it is mystifying that the air crew could land in the wrong place by nine miles! Excuses may be given, but it is a bizarre lapse of technology and professional judgement.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 14th 2014 at 1:38 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, but 18 years ago it seemed more reasonable. Now people have GPSs and smart phones such that perhaps a third of the passengers on the SWA flight had the technology to ascertain that they were in the wrong place (yes, I know they aren't allowed to use it in flight, but hypothetically they could), but the aircrew apparently did not, or failed to use it/ use it properly.

Given that it is just about possible for a plane to plot it's own course from A to B, it is mystifying that the air crew could land in the wrong place by nine miles! Excuses may be given, but it is a bizarre lapse of technology and professional judgement.
Apparently, the Pilots of SW have a reputation for "Flying On Visual" rather than Instruments. Hence the mess they now find themselves in.

The Photo below shows the aftermath of a Landing at Chicago Midway, a few years ago.

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails Planespotting-sw-chicago.jpg  
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Totally inconceivable how this could happen! This could have ended badly. I'll be amazed if that crew fly again for Southwest.
Unless they had the wrong airport ID loaded into the FMS, which is highly unlikely given the flight plans are pre-installed before flight, it's pretty hard to get the wrong airport. Standard Pt 121 ops usually require the crew tune localizer frequencies or GPS final approaches into the system even when on a visual approach. I know I do it every time I fly anywhere.

Probably more likely they got disorientated at night and thought they had the right runway without cross-checking their instruments. Got lazy in other words.

As for crosswind landings, my favorite one was when I jumpseated in an Atlas B747-4F going into STN 2 years ago. Shitty weather, rain and wind gusts to upper 30's mph made the landing fun. I heard the cockpit radalt digital voice countdown 50..40..30..20..10.. then a hard bang as we hit the ground!

My crosswind landings are never that hard
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

(American Airlines 965)
Sorry, but they are wholly to blame. Landing that aircraft at the wrong airport could have had catastrophic consequences. I'd like to know whct the controller was doing too. I understand they don't have radar at the airport they were Diego land on, but the controller should have been keeping a fairly constant visual on the aircraft. You would have thought he might have pipped up. Having worked in aviation for 15 years, I see a lot of these stories where the press has made more of it than actually happened to beef up the story. In this instance though, the crew have ****** up!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

I just heard on the news that the SW crew were grounded after landing. My guess is there are a couple of pilot jobs going at SW now.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:58 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Redneck Ultralight solo without instruction. Humo(u)rs yet uplifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJhhUHDtQk
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
...... Having worked in aviation for 15 years, I see a lot of these stories where the press has made more of it than actually happened to beef up the story. .....
I used to believe that media reporting was accurate, complete, and unbiased. Then I got involved "on the inside" of a major (non-aviation) news story when I worked in the UK. During the course of the story I closely monitored the news and quickly learned that media stories may be a bizarre patchwork of information received directly from the source (e.g. a spokesman or press release) and other hard facts, supplemented with old (stale) data that often is no longer relevant. Then any gaps in the story are filled with information from other unofficial sources such as unappointed, self opinionated, busybodies, third party information of little relevance such as spurious comparisons to other situations that aren't actually comparable, and then any remaining holes are filled in with deductions, supposition, and guesswork by the journalist.

The result of this pigs breakfast is that the story, as reported, may have a kernel of truth, but it may be wrapped in layer upon layer of incorrect, inaccurate, or otherwise irrelevant information, sometimes rendering the story almost unrecognizable to someone "on the inside" who knows what the actual facts of the matter are.

In twenty years nothing has persuaded me that the above explanation is not true to some degree for the majority of media reporting.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 14th 2014 at 10:53 am.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:50 pm

Are you still longing for that DC10 experience?

And Here's the story and some more pictures.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

I'm a plane fan and almost crash when driving near JFK or Newark because I am constantly watching the aircraft instead of the traffic
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:47 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The first interim report was released by the NTSB for southwest incident.

1) It was dark
2) FO had only flown there once before, Captain never had.
3) Runways are nearly identical orientation
4) They flew a VFR approach

Bearing in mind all those factors, it's an easy mistake to make. Fact is, VFR at night is a bad idea. Especially if you aren't familiar with the airport environment.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

1) It was dark
2) FO had only flown there once before, Captain never had.
3) Runways are nearly identical orientation
4) They flew a VFR approach
And bearing in mind 1,2 and 3, they did 4! An amazing lack of judgement!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:43 am

Perhaps the best 47 minutes of TV you'll ever see!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.