Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Plane Seat Etiquette

Plane Seat Etiquette

Old Dec 27th 2013, 6:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plane Seat Etiquette

Originally Posted by markonline1
SLF? I don't think I've heard that. You may have to pm me with what it stands for
SLF - self loading freight
Old Dec 27th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
SLF - self loading freight
LOL.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:38 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I'd be inclined to take said bag out from under my feet and pass it on back one more row.

Regards, JEff
Or once the final passengers have filed past then dump it in the aisle and/or hand it to a flight attendant as they do their walk-throughs prior to push-back. Or just pummel it with your feet for the whole flight.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 11:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Even better.
Originally Posted by tonrob
Or once the final passengers have filed past then dump it in the aisle and/or hand it to a flight attendant as they do their walk-throughs prior to push-back.
After inspecting the contents, of course.
Originally Posted by tonrob
Or just pummel it with your feet for the whole flight.
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Originally Posted by Tarkak9
.... begin your question with, "I'm terribly sorry, ....."

You're sat in the window seat of a plane and need the loo, but the person in the aisle seat is asleep. What do you do?

a) Gently wake them up to ask if they can let you out
b) Risk lasting internal damage by refusing to say anything
c) Cough louder and louder until they wake up
d) Try to squeeze past them without waking them up, but they do, just as it looks like you’re trying to sit on their lap
e) Loo?!
Yeah, that would be a B for me. I never get up for a slash on a plane, it's just too much hassle. .....
There's an "option F) Go when they go", which is my preferred option (at least once on a transatlantic flight), which is fine unless they go while you're asleep.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 28th 2013 at 1:21 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
...... Unfortunately often the person in front of me reclines, nothing you can do about it.
Oh yes there is, for someone who's 6'5" and has nowhere else to put their legs. I can and often do jam my knees against the side rails of the seat in front. When the distance between my hip and my knee cap is the same as the distance between the back of my seat and the back of the seat in front there really isn't anywhere else for me to put my legs! ..... And if they did recline my knees would have to push into the soft part of the seat back .... or I'd be trapped, pinned in my seat with my knees down and my feet stretched under the seat in front. I have had a person complain to the stewardess that their seat was broken . it wasn't!
Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Oh yes there is, for someone who's 6'5" and has nowhere else to put their legs. I can and often do jam my knees against the side rails of the seat in front. When the distance between my hip and my knee cap is the same as the distance between the back of my seat and the back of the seat in front there really isn't anywhere else for me to put my legs! ..... And if they did recline my knees would have to push into the soft part of the seat back .... or I'd be trapped, pinned in my seat with my knees down and my feet stretched under the seat in front. I have had a person complain to the stewardess that their seat was broken . it wasn't!

Just make sure you never fly on Procrustes Airlines - they'd cut you down to size!
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

There's an "option F) Go when they go", which is my preferred option (at least once on a transatlantic flight), which is fine unless they go while you're asleep.
Avoid Option G - where you go when you're asleep.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

A multitude of uses for the polite international traveller on amazon.....
Old Dec 28th 2013, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
A multitude of uses for the polite international traveller on amazon.....
Also good for perpetrating vengeance attacks on astronauts.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

See post #23 in this thread. Much easier on the knees.

Regards, JEff
Oh yes there is, for someone who's 6'5" and has nowhere else to put their legs. I can and often do jam my knees against the side rails of the seat in front.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
See post #23 in this thread. Much easier on the knees.

Regards, JEff
I saw your post, but hadn't checked the details. It looks very interesting, I might just have to get one.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 29th 2013 at 4:35 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

Ah progress at work! What would the man on the Clapham Airbus say?
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago when I was 6 month preggers with oldest (now 10) I went home to visit as she was my parent first grand child etc, anyhow during the meal the woman infront of me reclined her seat back, the woman next to me told her I was pregnant and still eating my meal, I wasnt really all that bothered until I heard her say (woman in front of me) that is not my fault, I paid for my seat if she needs extra room she should have paid for 1st class or got a letter from her doctor saying she needed to be treated special'. I really wasnt bothered until I heard her reply, she was not nice about it all so out came my 'oh you think you will treat me like that, I am full of raging hormones and I know how to use them' bitchy side... lets just say I made sure she was not left undisturbed or comfortable