Wikiposts

Pinewood Derby ??

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:38 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pinewood Derby ??

Originally Posted by lisa67
like I said ....some parents get super competitive
Not me though, really! I just went a little nuts that last time according to my wife... But it was worth it!

Did you know that tungsten is about 1.8 times as dense as lead? This means a tungsten weight will be smaller than a lead one of the same weight. Smaller means more precise placement on the car which means you can more easily fine tune your weight distribution.... Tungsten weights run about $5 an oz. To think I had my boy using lead fishing weights or steel washers...
Actually for that last race we didn't use tungsten (Everywhere was out of it) and we ended up using 300grain .44 magnum bullets that were lead with a copper jacket. Just the bullet, which I had a bunch of for reloading, not the whole cartridge case.

This link kind of explains it...
http://www.pinewoodpro.com/weight-sets.htm
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

When we did pinewood derby just after we moved here there was a similar father in the pack. He worked at CU Boulder as an astronomer.

Come time to build the cars he created a mathematical model to determine the best weight placement, then HE built the car. After carefully shaping the block and aeorodynamic styling etc, he had drilled out a chamber at the back of the car and filled it with molten lead. (no little lead weights glued to the bottom of the car for him

Come derby day he did however let his son place his car on the track. My son was 8 at the time, all the work on the car was his - it looked like a cheese wedge but he was proud of it. He made it to he final with the astronomer - there were some worried looks on faces but in the end the astronomers car won - but it really was only by a whisker.

All the kids knew the score - they wern't blind - most of the congratulations amongst the kids went to my son - he was as pleased as punch.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:35 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It's not pretty... but like I told my son, "Pretty" doesn't win races Boy!!!

Attached Thumbnails Pinewood Derby ??-pw08.jpg  
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

It's not bad....just need to paint it pink!!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

LOL... I love the JHPs.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:05 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Bill_S
LOL... I love the JHPs.
Intimidation, Bill. You can't underestimate the intimidation factor when you're dealing with 8 year olds.