Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Old Jun 18th 2009, 9:56 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Originally Posted by sambapink
Poor kids - how on earth can they manage that?!
To be fair, both kids were unaccompanied [which I think shouldn't be permitted] and the reason was that 2 planes with different destinations were loading from one door at the same time.
They rectified the situation with the very minimum of delay to their credit.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Going back to the original topic - I was in the waiting room whilst the car was being serviced and the 'breaking news' of the CO pilot dying came on CNN whilst the plane was still in the air.

I wonder if the pilot's family was notified first? How awful it must have been if they found out first via the live media reports?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You must be joking. Continental's in-flight entertainment is the pits.

I've done long-haul flights with them to Honolulu and to Tokyo. They have about 6 TV channels (including a boring business one and children's channel) and it's on a 23/4 hour loop....so on an 11 hour flight (EWR to HNL) or 14 hour flight (EWR to NRT- Tokyo) you see the same programmes again, and again...and again.

The sound system is appalling too! They even have the cheek on an international flight to charge $2 for their crappy headphones and $5 or $6 for a beer, wine or any alcoholic drink. (All free on the traditional Asian and European inter-continental airlines).

I hate Continental! (It's unfortunate that it's the main airline at my nearest airport, Newark) Their flight attendants are miserable old bags who don't know the meaning of good grooming, don't know how to smile or be kind or polite to the passengers...it's all the old ones on the overseas flights as they've been working for the airline for years and get the pick of the routes.

Grrrr. Rant over.
PS: I know that they would argue that they're only there for the safety of the passengers, but why should they be so indifferent to the passengers when cabin crews with other carriers are polite, even in cattle class?

I have to smile ruefully when they announce at the end of the flight that they know that you have a choice and thank you for flying with (CO/AA/United etc.) today. Well, I've made my choice and I'm not flying long haul with CO anytime soon....I'm flying with Singapore Airlines in a couple of weeks even though the ticket was slightly more expensive and I've got to trek over to JFK......their service is great.

I guess you haven't flown Continental too recently then.

I have nothing but praise for them on our recent UK trip. A special request was honored, the attendants were very friendly (shock horror....even in cattle class!) and the in-flight entertainment was great, headphones were free as well.

The same goes for when we travel to California at least twice each year, we always go with Continental and always enjoy the flight. Now the one time we flew Southwest...wow...that was scary
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

I have nothing but praise for them on our recent UK trip. A special request was honored, the attendants were very friendly (shock horror....even in cattle class!) and the in-flight entertainment was great, headphones were free as well.

The same goes for when we travel to California at least twice each year, we always go with Continental and always enjoy the flight. Now the one time we flew Southwest...wow...that was scary
I always fly to the UK with Continental because they are the only carrier from Newark to Manchester. They aren't the best...but aren't too bad. I agree headphones are free.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:37 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

I think in general, US airlines are crap in comparrison to European or Asian carriers.
At least in my experience. Virgin and Singapore are great as was China Southern. The Us airlines should learn from them!
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:52 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

:
It was October & November 2008 on a 777 to Tokyo (Dec 07 to HNL), although in the interim I've taken shorter flights with CO too.

On the flights to and from Newark/Tokyo it was the same bloody miserable flight crew in both directions! One young Japanese woman didn't understand the ancient-looking FA when she said 'chicken or fish' as she was dishing the food out and looked puzzled as she clearly didn't understand English very well. The FA then snapped at her in a very rude manner and said (in English) "just turn the menu card over and you can point to what you want". What a stupid cow....the poor Japanese woman got even more confused. I helped her instead.

The same FA was sitting at the back of the plane after the meal service doing her knitting....I was hoping that she'd missed a few stitches lol!

By the way...the 'hot meal' on the 11 hour flight to Honolulu was a congealed greasy cheese pizza, most of it stuck to the plastic wrap.... a side salad was nothing more than iceberg lettuce with ranch dressing...
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

More info here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8107838.stm

Perfect landing....in the presence of loads of emergency services personnel.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:08 am

Post Re: Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
I think in general, US airlines are crap in comparrison to European or Asian carriers.
At least in my experience. Virgin and Singapore are great as was China Southern. The Us airlines should learn from them!
I recently flew on the new Singapore Airlines A380 on a Virgin codeshare ticket (incredibly when I checked in both ways they gave me the upper deck emergency exit seats although I have no status with the airline and didn't pay extra for the seats either). It was a wonderful experience...in economy the seats are large and the TV screens are bigger than many that are found on other airlines biz class seats, all on demand and also with docking stations to charge up iPods. Service is superb and the food is good too.

I was in economy with Virgin, connecting to/from the Singapore Airlines plane at LHR and tbh I was surprised at how tatty the Virgin plane was (an Airbus) and the toilets smelled stronly of urine even at the beginning of both flights. The FAs were young, friendly and enthusiastic...and it was quite funny to hear a strong Essex girl accent again...!

TBH it's always hit and miss when you fly as to whether or not you get a nice flight crew and it makes a huge difference as to ones opinion of that airline and when choosing to fly with them again, especially when booking a flight and competing carriers have similar fares.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

TBH it's always hit and miss when you fly as to whether or not you get a nice flight crew and it makes a huge difference as to ones opinion of that airline and when choosing to fly with them again, especially when booking a flight and competing carriers have similar fares.
I agree. With the exception of the A380, to me all planes are like buses. I just want to get from A to B, preferably on time and with my luggage at the other end.

Actually, for some reason, my luggage often needs to be hand delivered to me later on the day of landing or first thing the next day. I suspect that this might start to bother me one day. (LHR - SAN)
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why people found this scary. Sad news indeed but not exactly scary like the media liked to point out.

The first officer is fully trained to fly the aircraft and type rated on the aircraft and in some instances the first officer may have more experience then the captain, captain does not always equate more experience.

Plus on this flight due to length there was also a relief f/o.

Todays planes can be safely flown with 1 person if needed, more work load but its not gonna exactly fall out of the sky.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:30 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder which tool thought it would be a good idea to tell the press anyhow?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
My son recently flew round-trip from London to Boston. He'd previously flown on British Airways, and, for the sake of variety, decided to fly American this time (same price, very similar schedules.) He was amazed to find that American charged for alcoholic drinks, did not have the seat back video entertainment system, and the food was bloody awful. He'd naturally assumed that, in a situation of competition on the same route, American would be offering a similar level of service to BA...
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
To be fair, both kids were unaccompanied [which I think shouldn't be permitted] and the reason was that 2 planes with different destinations were loading from one door at the same time.

Sometimes kids have to fly by themselves, my neighbour has two kids (11 and 13) they have a Dad in another State and have to go stay with him for school holidays etc. Their Mum cannot afford to fly with them, so sometimes there isn't a choice.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:12 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Speaking of Continental, it seems that losing luggage is so passe these days, the new thing is to lose kids... apparently they sent kids who were travelling alone to the wrong destination twice in two days. Once is careless, but twice is ...
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but if my kid was flying alone I'd tell them to ask someone on the plane whether they were on the right flight.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Just out of interest - why do you think it shouldn't be permitted?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.