Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Picking up UK TV channels web broadcasts

Picking up UK TV channels web broadcasts

Old Oct 12th 2007, 1:00 am
Just Joined

ApplyDapply is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Picking up UK TV channels web broadcasts

I'd like to watch the Channel 4 simulcast, which is a web based broadcast that allows you to watch the channel for some of its content on your computer, as the programme goes out live. They also do podcast recordings of some shows, like 8 out of 10 cats.

You can see this in the UK, but the problem is that you cannot pick up this web broadcast while you are in the USA because C4 put a block on viewing from the USA for some reason - has anyone been able to get round this?

Also, I am into horse racing but I cannot see live pictures from At The Races/Racing UK live web broadcasts, like the C4 one above, again because their system puts a block on anyone watching from the USA.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem and if so, please could you detail this for me or point me to other sources of help if there are any.

Cheers
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:27 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picking up UK TV channels web broadcasts

Google "proxy server".
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:38 am
Just Joined

ApplyDapply is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Google "proxy server".
can you please explain what that is and how I can get it/use it etc?
I am averagely computer-literate.

Thank you.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:43 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ApplyDapply
can you please explain what that is and how I can get it/use it etc?
I am averagely computer-literate.

Thank you.
Is your Google broken?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:48 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I read it. What good does that do for the OP? The BBC still blocks transmission to yank ISPs.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 3:54 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The "proxy" is a bit like a friend back in the UK who sticks a Slingbox on his cable for you.

The proxy system must be in the UK (or succeed in masquerading as being in the UK by spoofing its IP address). The BBC sends to the proxy who then passes it along to you. Since the proxy is "in the middle" and now sending YOU a high volume of data, many proxies require subscriptions.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The "proxy" is a bit like a friend back in the UK who sticks a Slingbox on his cable for you.

The proxy system must be in the UK (or succeed in masquerading as being in the UK by spoofing its IP address). The BBC sends to the proxy who then passes it along to you. Since the proxy is "in the middle" and now sending YOU a high volume of data, many proxies require subscriptions.
I've tried several free proxies (I'm a tight wad) from Italy for the same reason. That is using Anonomous and Highly Anonomous UK proxies, so they don't have the X-Forwarded For in them.

The problem I've found is:

a) They're slower than a Scotsman opening his wallet, so unsuitable for streaming. Using a paid one might indeed solve that problem.

b) The BBC C4 etc must keep a list of proxies, because they didn't work for these sites.

We have English Sky here, so currently it's not a problem, but it will be when we move Stateside.

Has anyone actually had success using proxies (paid or not) from the States to view UK TV companies streams?

I realize there are many other ways to obtain UK programming such as BT.

I'm constantly amazed that the BBC doesn't set up a subscription service for ex-pats; they could cover the additional rights fees within the subscription.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

TonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really nice

Originally Posted by sangiano
I've tried several free proxies (I'm a tight wad) from Italy for the same reason. That is using Anonomous and Highly Anonomous UK proxies, so they don't have the X-Forwarded For in them.

The problem I've found is:

a) They're slower than a Scotsman opening his wallet, so unsuitable for streaming. Using a paid one might indeed solve that problem.

b) The BBC C4 etc must keep a list of proxies, because they didn't work for these sites.

We have English Sky here, so currently it's not a problem, but it will be when we move Stateside.

Has anyone actually had success using proxies (paid or not) from the States to view UK TV companies streams?

I realize there are many other ways to obtain UK programming such as BT.

I'm constantly amazed that the BBC doesn't set up a subscription service for ex-pats; they could cover the additional rights fees within the subscription.
The BBC are planning to make their download service available in the US at some point - for a fee.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:51 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I read it. What good does that do for the OP? The BBC still blocks transmission to yank ISPs.
You read it, did you? Quite sure about that?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:56 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Google "proxy server".
More specifically, Google "UK Proxy Server".

Try this one http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/

Enter the URL of the site you wish to access in the address box in the middkle of the screen.

I just tried it on Google Images, which is blocked by our company security software, and I was able to access the site. works on the Daily Mail website too, which is also blocked here.

There were a couple of pop-ups but no biggie.

Last edited by TRPardoe; Oct 12th 2007 at 1:10 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TonyLA
The BBC are planning to make their download service available in the US at some point - for a fee.
They are ? That would be great...but can you provide a reference for this ? (have been looking out for this to happen, but wasn't aware of any such announcement).
For the OP, Channel 4 reticence at doing this is even more of a mystery considering the are (ostensibly) a commercial operation. Horse racing is probably a whole different set of issues considering the US take on gambling.
imho you really aren't going to have much luck with streaming or accessing blocked content unless you can get a reliable, high bandwidth proxy in the UK. I've never much luck with publicly accessible ones when trying to stream radio, let alone TV which would require significantly more bandwidth...but I guess you might get lucky. A slingbox would be another answer if you have some one who could host it for you, or torrents (but they're not live of course).
Old Oct 12th 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
They are ? That would be great...but can you provide a reference for this ? (have been looking out for this to happen, but wasn't aware of any such announcement).
For the OP, Channel 4 reticence at doing this is even more of a mystery considering the are (ostensibly) a commercial operation. Horse racing is probably a whole different set of issues considering the US take on gambling.
imho you really aren't going to have much luck with streaming or accessing blocked content unless you can get a reliable, high bandwidth proxy in the UK. I've never much luck with publicly accessible ones when trying to stream radio, let alone TV which would require significantly more bandwidth...but I guess you might get lucky. A slingbox would be another answer if you have some one who could host it for you, or torrents (but they're not live of course).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

It's UK only at the moment, but next year they promise to make it available to the world (for a fee)
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

UKNova, folks.....
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Ok I am a techno-beginner. But if I got a slingbox and got a mate in the UK to plug it in. I could then watch any show on UK tv? Is that right?

Is this expensive? I've just been over, and hardly watched any TV but did catch a couple of BBC dramas, and realised how good they really are. The whole sling box sounds great to me.

Also is it limited to terrestrial TV, or sky too? And am I right in assuming that I could watch anything, not just the shows she would watch?

Cheers

Amanda
Old Oct 12th 2007, 11:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Basically a slingbox is 'whatever you see on the TV in the UK that is hooked up you can see in the US' (or wherever). So terrestrial, sky, whatever. My Slingbox is hooked up to landline cable and two different satellite boxes.

I also use TVAnts to get some stuff from other countries (tons of football, various languages) along with BBC24 and Sky News (less bandwidth than the Slingbox).

If you aren't in a hurry, you might wait to see if an mp4 slingbox comes out in a few months (post-Christmas?). Much better quality at lower bandwidth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.