British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Photocopying green card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/photocopying-green-card-523186/)

jumping doris Mar 20th 2008 1:11 pm

Photocopying green card

We got our green cards recently and various organisations we deal with keep asking for copies of them.
The bank wants a copy, Edward Jones (Roth IRA) want a copy, daughters college etc.

I'm not sure if I should be giving out copies like this.
Any advice?

Noorah101 Mar 20th 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Photocopying green card

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 6088855)
We got our green cards recently and various organisations we deal with keep asking for copies of them.
The bank wants a copy, Edward Jones (Roth IRA) want a copy, daughters college etc.

Any advice?

My husband received his 2-year green card in 2005, and his 10-year green card in 2007, and the only time we had to provide a copy of it was when he wanted to get a tourist visa to the UK.

No one locally needed a copy of it, not even the bank. Personally, I would try to just show it to them in person so they can see whatever proof they need that you're a PR, I wouldn't give a photocopy to them for their files. You never know where that information could end up, you don't want someone stealing your A-number.

Rene

Poppy girl Mar 20th 2008 2:22 pm

Any advice?

Weird I have never been asked for it anywhere.

Bill_S Mar 20th 2008 2:31 pm

I was never asked for a copy either. Try telling the bank and Edward Jones that they aren't the only game in town and if they don't want your money you're happy to deposit it somewhere else.

Rete Mar 20th 2008 2:58 pm

Neither was my husband, with the one exception of his employer.

meauxna Mar 20th 2008 3:46 pm

Any advice?

Have to say, doris, I have never heard of that before. I mean, never seen anyone post about it, and our experience was that no one asked to even see it let alone take a copy. A mortgage company is the only one I've heard of wanting to see it.

I can see a reason all these institutions listed would want to know you are PRs, would even want to see proof of it, but keep a copy? hmmm.

It's a good idea to keep asking 'why' questions until the person requesting it can satisfy you. 'Just because' or 'it's policy' are not my favorite kind of answers.

Ray Mar 20th 2008 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6089490)
Have to say, doris, I have never heard of that before. I mean, never seen anyone post about it, and our experience was that no one asked to even see it let alone take a copy. A mortgage company is the only one I've heard of wanting to see it.

I can see a reason all these institutions listed would want to know you are PRs, would even want to see proof of it, but keep a copy? hmmm.

It's a good idea to keep asking 'why' questions until the person requesting it can satisfy you. 'Just because' or 'it's policy' are not my favorite kind of answers.

Just give them a copy of the back ....

should come oout as a black splodge ..

Elvira Mar 20th 2008 4:30 pm

Any advice?

Only people who have asked for copies are our sons' universities.

And they ask for it every bleeding year... :curse:

jumping doris Mar 20th 2008 8:50 pm

I think I will just say no and see what they say.

AdobePinon Mar 21st 2008 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6089629)
Only people who have asked for copies are our sons' universities.

And they ask for it every bleeding year... :curse:

My employer still asks for mine all the time...... and they were the first ones to tell me my citizenship had come through (USCIS told me a few weeks later). :rofl::rofl: