Pet Peeves?

Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's true though. We have a couple near us...when driving around the roundabout drivers stop to give way to people entering the roundabout.
Problem where I am is the two systems running at once, I am never sure how to treat them.

One type is small in residential areas, regular rule applies, give way to the right, so you give way to vehciles entering the roundabout; however, it is still ok to 'cut' the roundabout when turning left, if that exit is open. Then there are newer bigger roundabouts, less common, that follow the rules as one would expect; give way to cars already on the roundabout.

If they are going to introduce the newer version, they have to standardise it and make all roundabouts give way to cars on the roundabout. It will never work with a two rule system.

Edit:
Washington State Department of Transport, tell me that these things below, are called "Neighborhood traffic calming circles" and you can just turn left and skip the roundabout bit. Despite the sign saying otherwise, any wonder there is confuson?
Actualy the text next to the image on their web site says "Many drivers often turn left in front of the circles rather than turning around them"; does not exactly say this is legal, does it?

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 9th 2011 at 6:32 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:20 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
The thread nor the subject are superior as well you know. You just have to twist everything around to suit you and your obvious dislike of anything American.

But, whatever.....
There's nothing twisted about it. I live in the US, and most of the things that peeve me are everyday things. Hence, more american things than anything else.
Maybe your rose tinted specs won't allow you to critique the US or see it's faults, but I'm perfectly happy to say what I see, and think, just as I would if I was in the UK.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:28 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Big peeve - bleeding car insurance and the amazing difference in quotes all for the same car.

Pet peeve - daughter practising the recorder - for the love of Mary - take it outside!

Peeve in general: Ringing Italian companies asking for info and they all say, "oh you'll have to come into our office for that." 'Sorry, but I'm 10 Km away and I have two sick kids at home and I really need this info or quote or whatever - so tell me now or send an email or just lose a prospective client!'
Amazing how many will reply by email after that. Twerps!

P.S. There's nothing wrong with the kids.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:52 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It's true though. We have a couple near us...when driving around the roundabout drivers stop to give way to people entering the roundabout.
We have a small residential one near us, and two of the on roads have stop sings at them

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Pet peeve - daughter practising the recorder - for the love of Mary - take it outside!
I can sympathize, my daughter is horendous, not a musical bone in her body. They get little colored strings to put around the recorder as they pass levels, last week her teacher finally gave her the 1st string saying 'everyone should at least have one'. I asked if she had improved, she said 'no, I was worse than last week'
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Roundabouts in the US. Death traps because no-one has a f***ing clue.
I LOVE that - just barrel through at Warp 9 BECAUSE nobody has a bastard clue!!!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yes you were....I think the "three generation" statement was the clue!
If superiority was the name of the game it would have been 5 generations, not 3!!!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The mini roundabouts in the UK are a laugh...most people just drive straight over them.
The first time I went back and saw those dinky things, I couldn't believe how stupid and useless they were. People do indeed drive straight over the top of them! They're neither use nor ornament.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Plus unless they already have your DNA, they won't be able to pin you shitting in all their draws before you leave
Don't worry about the DNA - if they track it to you, just tell them you were exercising your First Amendment Rights AND... you had to sell something to make up for the fact that your fracking employer decided not to issue pay cheques.... as Bob Hoskins famously said in that ace film "The Long Good Friday" ... "I shit 'em!"
Old Nov 9th 2011, 6:59 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
We have a small residential one near us, and two of the on roads have stop sings at them

I can sympathize, my daughter is horendous, not a musical bone in her body. They get little colored strings to put around the recorder as they pass levels, last week her teacher finally gave her the 1st string saying 'everyone should at least have one'. I asked if she had improved, she said 'no, I was worse than last week'
Oh bless. Apparently my daughter was the queen of the class the first time she took her recorder in - it's been in the house for a few years, it was a Christmas present from English Aunty one Christmas and it's made of wood.

Every other Italian kid has the standard, plastic, cheapish brown and cream trim one. Her teacher held hers up as a 'proper' instrument. Little does he know that the wooden one probably came from a pound shop back home as a play thing for my sister's little niece

She's now learning a tune without any Italian words but it's bothering me. It sounds exactly like one of "My First Recorder Songs" that I did about 30 years ago that went:

Arabella, Arabella, have you seen my new umbrella. Is it here? Is it there? I can't find it anywhere.

As soon as I heard the notes those awful words came right back to me.

I like the ribbon idea.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Nov 9th 2011 at 7:01 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:00 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
If superiority was the name of the game it would have been 5 generations, not 3!!!
Don't you mean, 6?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
It's got to be better than a traffic light at every bloody junction, like there is here.
Pet peeve- having a traffic light that only ever stays green long enough to let two cars across the road, so you can sit there for 2 minutes at red light with a perfectly clear road either side of you, as you wait for the effing light to turn green again just so you can cross "safely". It's bollox.
Wow - if there were no traffic lights, what would the traffic light special interest group do then? They'd have to find some other way to contribute to a corrupt political system. That said, at least you can legitimately make money off the corrupt political system. That's the ONLY reason I didn't run for office back in the UK.... that and the fact no bugger would vote for me (something to do with the shape of my head, apparently...)
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

The mini roundabouts in the UK are a laugh...most people just drive straight over them.
and your point is...?

I thought you HAD to drive over them - isn't that the law?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Don't you mean, 6?
Yes - but I like the number 5 more!!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The first time I went back and saw those dinky things, I couldn't believe how stupid and useless they were. People do indeed drive straight over the top of them! They're neither use nor ornament.
Some do have an ornament in the middle - not usually good for driving over.... did that many many moons ago in car #1, a Vauxhall Viva (back when car bodies were made of real metal, that you could sit on and it wouldn't flex!!!)
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

An apparent lack of clear/critical thinking.

Evidence for the prosecution:

Herman Cain is contesting the Republican nomination for President. He starts to do well. Suddenly people come out of the wood work and claim various assaults etc that allegedly happened years and years ago... These may or may not be true, and I'm not condoning assault or berating the women involved...

... but blaming it on the Democrats? Come on Herman - the Democrats will wheel out their bucket of sh*t once the Republicans settle on a candidate... given the current state of affairs with the GOP field they can afford to sit back & wait - this is more likely to have come from another GOP candidate...

Sadly it seems the so-called 'Millennial Generation' are also bereft of critical thinking skills.

Me - I have them - I normally don't use them around people I despise or can't be bothered with - I save it for the weekend when I call myself Mandy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.