Pet Peeves?

Old Oct 17th 2018, 2:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Yes I would love them to flash and beep loudly when a customer tries to scan the one after the maximum stated quantity. For us the worst time is in mid to late August when 8000 new students have arrived and some of them are doing their own grocery shopping for the first time ever. I had never realised how hard a self checkout was to use......
Maf'ks would just try to separate it out into two transactions or something it bet, but I love the giant alarm idea to shame them into being sensible and going through a normal aisle.

And then we get to the big one - the aisles themselves. Why do they have 20 of them, when there's only ever 5 open even on a Saturday morning when we're 5-6 deep at each one? I've never even seen all of them open at Thanksgiving or Christmas either.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you buy airline tickets online? Check in online?

if yes, both those example cost people their jobs that needed jobs, and less hours for those who survived all the cut backs.

Why such the fuss over self check outs in retail?

Look at how much automation has cut jobs in the last 100 years in manufacturing, compare a manufacturing plant today vs 50 years ago.

Automation is coming and nothing we can do to stop it, the stores around me that use self check out pretty much don't staff cashier lanes anymore except during very peak busy periods, so no choice but to use self check out, the stores don't want cashiers and within the next 5-8 years I would say most major big box stores will have done away with cashiers completely.

Our skytrain (public transit) has been automated since it was built in the 80's, like airport trains that go between terminals but on a much larger scale.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 17th 2018 at 6:57 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

They should have the self checkouts (they will always need at least one employee to field questions, and unbreak the broken machines that didn't like how fast you were scanning), and then staff the rest of their ****ing aisles at peak times, thereby killing two birds with one stone.

Not using self checkouts on principle is a nice idea, and I understand the sentiment, but let's not pretend that the retailers aren't just going to cut corners, costs and therefore employees elsewhere anyway.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Pet peeve when family expects you to drop your life for something in their life and get all pissy when you say you can't because work, we are not all professionals with weekends off and the ability to just take days off.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 7:55 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not using self checkouts on principle is a nice idea, and I understand the sentiment, but let's not pretend that the retailers aren't just going to cut corners, costs and therefore employees elsewhere anyway.
It wouldn't surprise me if they start charging you a fee for using a cashier instead of self checkout in the future.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 8:01 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by zargof
It wouldn't surprise me if they start charging you a fee for using a cashier instead of self checkout in the future.
Wouldn't be in the least bit surprising. Boo-hoo, it's your fault we have to employ people and pay them a living wage so we'll jam a fee up your ass.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 8:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Which really pisses me off because my whole thinking is ... "Why should I use the self check-out if they're not going to give me a discount?"
Old Oct 17th 2018, 9:37 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

UUmmss.

I'm not very good with self-service checkouts , not that there are many. I can think of only two places.
Usually a cashier comes to assist .

I'm the same with the check-in / get luggage machine at our local airport but at least there I can see I am merely one of a crowd of confused people.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

I am sure its a matter of time.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Have there been studies on the amount of losses due to theft / accidents with self-checkout at stores? When I first saw them, I was shocked and assumed theft would be rampant. I guess as long as the losses don't add up to an annual salary, then they don't care too much.

I was thrilled to see self-checkout at the Costco in Scottsdale; still not implemented at the Costco in Concord, CA ...
Old Oct 18th 2018, 5:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Which really pisses me off because my whole thinking is ... "Why should I use the self check-out if they're not going to give me a discount?"
Yep, same here. They employ less staff, you do the scanning and packing, and the price is the same. I won't use them unless I only have a couple of things, the check-out queues are long and I'm in a hurry. Not often all three align!
Old Oct 18th 2018, 5:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Have there been studies on the amount of losses due to theft / accidents with self-checkout at stores? When I first saw them, I was shocked and assumed theft would be rampant. I guess as long as the losses don't add up to an annual salary, then they don't care too much.

I was thrilled to see self-checkout at the Costco in Scottsdale; still not implemented at the Costco in Concord, CA ...
If an item hasn't been scanned, whether at a staffed or self checkout, an alarm sounds as you exit the store.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 5:37 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BEVS
UUmmss.

I'm not very good with self-service checkouts , not that there are many. I can think of only two places.
Usually a cashier comes to assist .

I'm the same with the check-in / get luggage machine at our local airport but at least there I can see I am merely one of a crowd of confused people.
When I did my shopping this morning, there was a huge queue at the self-checkouts and only one register open - a '12 items or less' one. I would have cheated an gone through that one, but Sultan would have tracked me down and killed me.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 2:01 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
When I did my shopping this morning, there was a huge queue at the self-checkouts and only one register open - a '12 items or less' one. I would have cheated an gone through that one, but Sultan would have tracked me down and killed me.
Under normal circumstances, you're damn right (though I wouldn't have killed you, just stood behind you and tutted loudly), but if it was the only aisle open, that's on the store. There should always be at least two regular aisles open at all times.

With that said, IMO, self checkout should only be for people with less than 10 items as well. If you take a full trolley through one of those, you deserve an entire month of marker-top shits.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 2:28 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Under normal circumstances, you're damn right (though I wouldn't have killed you, just stood behind you and tutted loudly), but if it was the only aisle open, that's on the store. There should always be at least two regular aisles open at all times.

With that said, IMO, self checkout should only be for people with less than 10 items as well. If you take a full trolley through one of those, you deserve an entire month of marker-top shits.
Self checkouts are the norm rather than the exception now where I live. Supermarkets, hardware stores, they're bloody everywhere.

Glad to hear you wouldn't kill me, tutting I can deal with. I've been told by shop staff to go through an express checkout when I've had more than the allowed number of items, because it's the only checkout open. I've only taken them up on it a couple of times, and I did get 'chatted' by the woman behind me once. I pointed to the staff member and told her to take it up with him - which she did, very loudly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.