Pet Peeves?

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by mrken30
there was an article recently regarding facebook bypassing adblocker

Adblock Plus blocks Facebook's ad-blocker buster: It's a block party! • The Register
Ok, I admit it. When I said certain sites I meant Facebook *hangs head in shame*.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

*ring*

- Hello and how are you doing on this wonderful day?

- This number is on the do not call list
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 1:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
- This number is on the do not call list
I've put our numbers on that list so many times now I'm pretty sure it's bollocks.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:01 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think he is talking about someone turning left OUT OF a road that someone, approaching from the right, is turning left INTO. If I am correct, I can't understand what he thinks is dangerous.
Chicago has many, many huge 3+3 lane divided surface streets. Commonly, lights on this type of road will have five total lanes with two dedicated left turn lanes. The situation occurs at two left turn lanes turning left from two dedicated left turn lanes onto a three lane road. Two cars side by side stopped at light. Car in full left lane fails to turn into the full left lane of the road they're turning on to and instead turns into the middle lane, cutting off the other lane of traffic also turning left. This happens all the time.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:05 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

3. Mostly agree, but in a busy urban environment there has to be a bit of give and take.
No. It's illegal to cross the center line and pull in front of oncoming traffic always. It doesn't matter who was there first.
4. Don't much agree with that. The traffic on the ramp needs to pick up more speed. Also the car in the right lane is probably only there because of @r§ëholes in the centre and left lanes doing 55-60 and generally holding up traffic.
No. You shouldn't blow by an entrance ramp at 80 mph in the full right lane, preventing people from merging on to the highway. People do it all the time when there's plenty of room in lanes to the left. Also, don't pass on the right past an entrance ramp regardless of how big a hurry you think you're in, that's just dangerous and generally inconsiderate.
5. Sorry, I don't get that one either, and if the gap is going to disappear in a few seconds as traffic waits to turn left, what's the big deal about briefly allowing a gap to open up?
You've really lost me here. People need to go through the GD light. Don't fall asleep and let a gap open preventing cars behind you from getting through on a left turn arrow.

Last edited by Hiro11; Aug 23rd 2016 at 3:09 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Chicago has many, many huge 3+3 lane divided surface streets. Commonly, lights on this type of road will have five total lanes with two dedicated left turn lanes. The situation occurs at two left turn lanes turning left from two dedicated left turn lanes onto a three lane road. Two cars side by side stopped at light. Car in full left lane fails to turn into the full left lane of the road they're turning on to and instead turns into the middle lane, cutting off the other lane of traffic also turning left. This happens all the time.
OK, thanks, that's what Oakvillian and I worked out is probably what you meant.

Virtually all major (multi-lane) crossroads in NC have a curved dotted line painted to direct traffic, especially in the left lane, into the correct lane of the exit from the junction.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... You've really lost me here. People need to go through the GD light. Don't fall asleep and let a gap open preventing cars behind you from getting through on a left turn arrow.
Oh, OK, I get it now. .... I didn't connect your first post on this topic to getting through a green light - and yes I agree entirely, traffic waiting at a light, especially but not only at a left turn green arrow, traffic needs to "hook up like a train" and all go through, as gaps will trigger the light to change.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:13 pm
I approved this message

OK, thanks, that's what Oakvillian and I worked out is probably what you meant.

Virtually all major (multi-lane) crossroads in NC have a curved dotted line painted to direct traffic, especially in the left lane, into the correct lane of the exit from the junction.
Exactly the same here in Chicago and and yet people cut across the dotted line all the time.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

bremmner is an unknown quantity at this point

After driving for a few years over here i'm still trying to not get in the 'me first' mind set of most Yank drivers. When i learnt to drive in the UK the term the instructor used was something like 'for the common good' meaning all road users working together smoothly and efficiently. Yes i know this goes against the grain of most Yanks who's only goal in life it seems is to get ahead of the car in front of them even if they have to slam the brakes on to turn off. This is not a 'pet' peeve of mine just an observation, in fact i don't have a 'pet' peeve but a list a mile long of peeves that would bore even a cricket watcher!!

Charles

Last edited by bremmner; Aug 23rd 2016 at 3:40 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bremmner
After driving for a few years over here i'm still trying to not get in the 'me first' mind set of most Yank drivers. When i learnt to drive in the UK the term the instructor used was something like 'for the common good' meaning all road users working together smoothly and efficiently. Yes i know this goes against the grain of most Yanks who's only goal in life it seems is to get ahead of the car in front of them even if they have to slam the brakes on to turn off. This is not a 'pet' peeve of mine just an observation, in fact i don't have a 'pet' peeve but a list a mile long of peeves that would bore even a cricket watcher!!

Charles
Generally I agree, and I am waging a one-man battle to "let people out" or "let people across" in heavy traffic and uncontrolled junctions or flashing yellow arrows, and in most cases allowing someone in or out has an insignificant or no impact on my journey time.

Not leaving a gap in stationary traffic to allow traffic into and out of side roads is a particular peeve of mine as it tends to turn a traffic jam in one direction into a traffic jam in both directions.

After a number of years I am finding that more people are clued into why I have flashed my lights and waved/pointed. Middle aged women and retirees of both sexes comprise most of those who don't "get it".

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2016 at 4:04 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem seems to be that while drinking coffee, munching a Big mac or slurping down a slurpy, a lot of drivers are unable to turn the steering wheel more than quarter turn, thus taking most turns wide.

This may also explain why so many drivers move slightly to the left of the lane just before turning right. When they move left I always think they are going to turn left, stupid me.

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 23rd 2016 at 4:02 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:15 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Cant speak for the rest of the US but in general California drivers are pretty well mannered. French drivers seem to spend more time yelling and gesticulating at each other than concentrating on the driving. The worst drivers I came across are in Quebec, particularly in Montreal.

One peeve I have driving on LA Freeways are out of state truck drivers who drive their rigs in the third lane unaware apparently that big rigs are confined to the slow and second lanes
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Cant speak for the rest of the US but in general California drivers are pretty well mannered. French drivers seem to spend more time yelling and gesticulating at each other than concentrating on the driving. The worst drivers I came across are in Quebec, particularly in Montreal.

One peeve I have driving on LA Freeways are out of state truck drivers who drive their rigs in the third lane unaware apparently that big rigs are confined to the slow and second lanes
Funny you should mention the lorries. Driving on the freeways in (central/northern) California when we were there last year, I was pleasantly surprised that the lorries for the most part kept to the slow lanes where they belong.

Then we get off the plane home, and not five minutes after entering I-94 outside Milwaukee airport, we were stuck behind a lorry doing 56 trying to overtake another one doing 55. Utter arsing wankpots.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

At least he was doing 56, its even worse when both are doing 55, then the one overtaking slows down for a bit, then speeds up. Do you ever call that "Am I driving well?" number
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bremmner

Charles
You're clearly a communist and will be first up against the wall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.