Pet Peeves?

Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:39 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Or..."You must meet my Scottish friend...she has such a great accent." When I meet her, she turns out to be Swedish.
Uh huh, and you find that the only thing you have in common with them, is that you're both not originally from the USA.
You can understand their confusion though, Scottish.. Swedish? They both have an "ish" at the end.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

14 people and a whole lot of dogs.

Which brings me to my current one, the Daily Mail. Seriously, I think it only continues to exist because someone in the printing industry knows there's a bog roll shortage on the horizon.

I've been on other websites where people (usually unwitting Americans) will present articles from the Daily Mail as basis for a factual discussion
You mean its not???? Shoot - I thought it was as reliable as our National Enquirer!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Uh huh, and you find that the only thing you have in common with them, is that you're both not originally from the USA.
You can understand their confusion though, Scottish.. Swedish? They both have an "ish" at the end.
I've had the other thing happen as well. One person knew somebody called Wainthropp or something similar - did I know them? I was desperately trying to think of something polite to say, came up with, "Er, sounds like a Yorkshire name." "Yes, yes, I think they were from Yorkshire! Do you know them?"

Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

And they both start with "S"? But then, so does "stoopid"!
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

..... Daily Mail .....
Is BE middle brow?

When I was a kid, I knew the Daily Mirror at home and some other people read the Sun, as an adult I read the Guardian then the Indepedant, when I was a teacher I did the Times for a bit, 'cause of its supplement; anyway, in my life in Britain, the Daily Mail was not something that I really came in to contact with.

Since being on BE, all I hear is all about the bloody DM, whether its links to articles or other people slaging it off, is it reflecting the middle browness of us lot? Its just that I never ever met you DM readers in Britian.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 26th 2011 at 4:15 pm. Reason: add in 'f's, bloody cat ripped out the f key
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:18 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

I've had the other thing happen as well. One person knew somebody called Wainthropp or something similar - did I know them? I was desperately trying to think of something polite to say, came up with, "Er, sounds like a Yorkshire name." "Yes, yes, I think they were from Yorkshire! Do you know them?"

I know the feeling. If they're from England, you must know them.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Is BE middle brow?

When I was a kid, I knew the Daily Mirror at home and some other people read the Sun, as an adult I read the Guardian then the Indepedant, when I was a teacher I did the Times for a bit, 'cause of its supplement; anyway, in my life in Britain, the Daily Mail was not something that I really came in to contact with.

Since being on BE, all I hear is all about the bloody DM, whether its links to articles or other people slaging it off, is it reflecting the middle browness of us lot? Its just that I never ever met you DM readers in Britian.
My Mum was addicted to the Daily Mail, considered herself a cut above her family, who read the Mirror , so I grew up with that utter tripe.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I know the feeling. If they're from England, you must know them.
The same seems to apply to me, even though I've been to England only three times my entire life
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
And they both start with "S"? But then, so does "stoopid"!
You're right.. perhaps we should forgive them for their stupid-ish behaviour.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:24 pm

The same seems to apply to me, even though I've been to England only three times my entire life
That qualifies you to know every single member of the population there, just as you should be expected to know everyone in NI.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it, its got to confuse people, I imagine you talking to people:

A "So you are Irish"
B "No I am British"
A "So you come from Britian"
B "No, the United Kingdom"
A "but you lived in Britian?"
B "no, but I visited three times" (I do not know how many times you went to Scotland and Wales)
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:29 pm

A "So you are Irish"
B "No I am British"
B "no, but I visited three times" (I do not know how many times you went to Scotland and Wales)
Oh come on, you're giving them credit for actually knowing what accent he has. Once they've established he's not South African or Australian, the rest is simple.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think many people here know that Ireland is partitioned?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:32 pm
He/him

I don't think many people here know that Ireland is partitioned?
My mum does not know. I have explained it a hundred times, but it still does not compute.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 4:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That qualifies you to know every single member of the population there, just as you should be expected to know everyone in NI.
I do know everyone in NI. Sure, don't you know all 1.6 million of us all drink in the same pub, have a lock-in every night and play endless folk reels on our fiddles bejaesus.

Or so I've been informed by the incredibly knowlegeable people this side of the pond anyway.

A "So you are Irish"
B "No I am British"
It's not as confusing as you might think, actually. I don't really make a point of talking to people I don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.