Pet Peeves?

Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Don't get me started about people leaving lights on, either.
That's another thing I just thought of, why in some rooms (of American houses) is there no ceiling light? That's bloody annoying. (Thinking about it, it's probably so you can't see all that wood paneling).
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
That's another thing I just thought of, why in some rooms (of American houses) is there no ceiling light? That's bloody annoying. (Thinking about it, it's probably so you can't see all that wood paneling).
wood panelling! Luckily my wife hates that as much as I do so when we were looking at houses, the very sight of it anywhere resulted in dismissal!

It took me a while to get used to no ceiling lights, usually in those cases one of the sockets is linked to a wall switch for operating a free standing lamp of some sort, which usually involves a lot of switching plugs and trial and error to work out which bloody one it is. Though, in our apartment, and then our first rental house, there were ceiling lights but they all looked like knockers for some reason
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
wood panelling! Luckily my wife hates that as much as I do so when we were looking at houses, the very sight of it anywhere resulted in dismissal!

It took me a while to get used to no ceiling lights, usually in those cases one of the sockets is linked to a wall switch for operating a free standing lamp of some sort, which usually involves a lot of switching plugs and trial and error to work out which bloody one it is. Though, in our apartment, and then our first rental house, there were ceiling lights but they all looked like knockers for some reason
Ahhh yes the tit lights.

I think I listed wood paneling on page one or two as my pet peeve.

I was wrong it was page 7 http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=97

Last edited by nethead; Oct 17th 2011 at 3:19 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:50 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Wood panelling, a look of the 60's. I've been in a few houses where the places would actually be really nice, if it wasn't for having that on every wall in them. Just personal taste really.

I put ceiling lights in, and switched them all, some are built into the ceiling fans, but they all switch on from the wall. The idea of having standing lamps that switch on via a light switch seemed pointless, what happens if it's not where you want a light to be?

Knockers? Are you sure you haven't been studying the Daily meat market thread too much?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Wood panelling, a look of the 60's. I've been in a few houses where the places would actually be really nice, if it wasn't for having that on every wall in them. Just personal taste really.

I put ceiling lights in, and switched them all, some are built into the ceiling fans, but they all switch on from the wall. The idea of having standing lamps that switch on via a light switch seemed pointless, what happens if it's not where you want a light to be?

Knockers? Are you sure you haven't been studying the Daily meat market thread too much?
You mean you've lived in the US all this time and haven't seen the ubiquitous 'boob light'? One of these:

or a variation thereof?

I seem to remember the bathrooms in both houses I lived in back home had tongue and groove wood panelled ceilings. Pine, so lighter than the standard fare, but I always thought it looked a bit cheesy and a bit '80s . Oh, the kitchen too, in our second house, that had the same deal. Cheesier than a bucket of Wotsits.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:02 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

You mean you've lived in the US all this time and haven't seen the ubiquitous 'boob light'? One of these:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qPy3RO6sx6...ob+light+2.jpg

or a variation thereof?

I seem to remember the bathrooms in both houses I lived in back home had tongue and groove wood panelled ceilings. Pine, so lighter than the standard fare, but I always thought it looked a bit cheesy and a bit '80s . Oh, the kitchen too, in our second house, that had the same deal. Cheesier than a bucket of Wotsits.
Yeah I see what you mean. I never actually thought of it before though. Your awareness of the tit lookalike is more accute than mine. I still blame the Meat Market thread.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:05 pm
I have a comma problem

Yeah I see what you mean. I never actually thought of it before though. Your awareness of the tit lookalike is more accute than mine. I still blame the Meat Market thread.
Actually, I got that term from 'er indoors. I'd never even looked at the lights but apparently everyone calls them that round our way.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:13 pm

Actually, I got that term from 'er indoors. I'd never even looked at the lights but apparently everyone calls them that round our way.
Oh, you mean, "Mrs Sultan"?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:31 pm
I have a comma problem

Oh, you mean, "Mrs Sultan"?
God no, that'd sound bloody ridiculous, wouldn't it? I mean, technically it would be "Mrs Of Swing" if you think about it ...

But still no.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:43 pm

God no, that'd sound bloody ridiculous, wouldn't it? I mean, technically it would be "Mrs Of Swing" if you think about it ...

But still no.
Yes , it would. Sorry, I just wondered, only I've heard that particular term used before somewhere, and wondered if you might have been one of the users...
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:47 pm
I have a comma problem

Yes , it would. Sorry, I just wondered, only I've heard that particular term used before somewhere, and wondered if you might have been one of the users...

The mind boggles.

SWMBO is my normal nom de jour when referring to the lovely wife
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:03 pm

The mind boggles.

SWMBO is my normal nom de jour when referring to the lovely wife
Not Mrs SultanOfSwing, then? Fair enough.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:21 pm
I have a comma problem

Not Mrs SultanOfSwing, then? Fair enough.
Apart from the fact that that sounds a bit silly, she didn't take my name anyway so 'the wife' will have to do.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nethead
I hate ceiling lights in my own house and refuse to use them except under dire circumstances. I think OH believes I'm a little "tetched"........

As for turning off lights - I had a reputation for flipping wall switches at one office - kept leaving the boss in the dark. Delivered a memo to him during a big meeting one day & when I left the room, I turned off the lights. You should have heard the squeals and shouts from the "men" in the room!!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 11:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I hate ceiling lights in my own house and refuse to use them except under dire circumstances. I think OH believes I'm a little "tetched"........

As for turning off lights - I had a reputation for flipping wall switches at one office - kept leaving the boss in the dark. Delivered a memo to him during a big meeting one day & when I left the room, I turned off the lights. You should have heard the squeals and shouts from the "men" in the room!!
I do not like overhead lights AT ALL! I can't explain why, since conversely, I'm one of those folks that needs sunlight as I learned my first winter in Germany.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.