Pet Peeves?

Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:18 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've been in many a situation like that myself - it really does become an issue sometimes. People will just assume you think in a certain way before even talking to you. You get 'Oh you must hate those English bastards then'. "Would this be a bad time to point out that my dad was born in England by any chance ..." is what I want to say.

I've mentioned it on BE before, so apologies for repeating myself, but this is the kind of thing I encounter. At a gig, bloke asks for a song and I play it, all good. Take a break and he comes and talks to me. Long story short the topic of where I'm from comes up, and he goes on to mention that he 'knows a few people in the IRA' and 'they're all really good people.'

Needless to say, had I not been relying on my $125.00 for the show, he'd have left with a glass in his face. And that is why I let people think I'm English/Scottish when I'm out and about these days
Sounds like you're part Scots, too.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Sounds like you're part Scots, too.
Yes, as a matter of fact I am. Plus we never have any money anyway, but even when I do, I'm tight as a gnat's chuff.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:23 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yes, as a matter of fact I am. Plus we never have any money anyway, but even when I do, I'm tight as a gnat's chuff.
I knew it. The glass in the face sealed the deal, for me.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Complete lack of post boxes....they've nearly all been decommissioned or whatever they call it around my area. A few had been turned into relay station boxes...so other than at the post office, there's now only one box by the library.

Meh.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Complete lack of post boxes....they've nearly all been decommissioned or whatever they call it around my area. A few had been turned into relay station boxes...so other than at the post office, there's now only one box by the library.

Meh.
What's wrong with the flag on your own box at home?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Meh.
I've never seen one apart from at the Post Offices, down here. No need really, because the postman picks the mail up from everyone's mailbox.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I've never seen one apart from at the Post Offices, down here. No need really, because the postman picks the mail up from everyone's mailbox.
I'm never too comfortable with putting letters in that for collection in case some wee scrote comes by and lifts it. Especially if it's a bill payment or birthday card with a cheque or money in it.

I use it for the 'return to sender' letters we get for the previous homeowner who didn't bother his arse to send his new address to those who mail him. I couldn't give a shit about them ...
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for holidays....Halloween is only fun with kids, other wise it's a chore. I kind of like it as presents aren't involved, just cheap sweets.

Thanksgiving, don't care either way, it's just a day off, if lucky.

The shit one is St Paddy's day....especially in Boston...my god it's crap.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:37 pm

The housing market crash, that's always annoying. Everyone has been affected, I heard Turkey suffered a bad one over the last couple of days...
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I love the eager stare of antisipation on thier faces waiting for you to tell them that you know John Smith well and go drinking with him on a regular basis FFS
Scary thing though, once, I did actually end up knowing the person Someone I went to uni with.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I love the eager stare of antisipation on thier faces waiting for you to tell them that you know John Smith well and go drinking with him on a regular basis FFS
I actually have said "I know them!", when someone I know mentioned a Brit person by name just because they came from the same area as me. The bloke I said it to said "Really?"
Me> "Yeah, John and his wife Melanie"? I know them! (I cant remember the people's exact name- or what I used for "her").
Him>"I didn't meet his wife.. but that's right he was John yes, wow, you actually know them"?
Me> "Haha, nooo of course I don't know them.. there's a million people in that area!"

I won't tell you how pissed off the bloke was at me for taking the piss
Old Oct 26th 2011, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by kimilseung
2 things...the postie never picks up the mail when tried, and current place is a rental and doesn't have one of those post boxes.

I've never lived anywhere, where the postie actually picked mail up that you left in the box, nor where they'd leave you stamps if you left money for the stamps....everyone else seems to, that's another pet peeve
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know you could leave money for the postie in your mailbox and they'd leave you stamps... Does that only work for regular first class stamps, or would that work for the 98c stamps that you'd need to send Xmas cards to Blighty?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

I was in Chattanooga last year.. you probably heard about me in the restaurant, even if you didn't actually see me. They told me about the Englishguy that lived a couple of hundred miles away, I suspect that was your old man.
Undoubtedly! After all, we're only a hop, skip and a jump away, aren't we?
Only thing is, the guy they were talking about, well........I wouldn't want to repeat what they said! I defended you (and your British-ness, of course), but they said I must have the wrong guy! (BTW, is that a title, like your high-ness?)
And, yeah, my old man does have a reputation~!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 12:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The shit one is St Paddy's day....especially in Boston...my god it's crap.
I fricking hate that the world get all excited about St Paddy's Day. It's for the Irish, no one else so pack in all the fricking parades in various countries other than Ireland. Who else has a parade for Peru day or Malta Day in other countries? No one. Fricking stupid day.

I think it could be more than a pet peeve actually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.