Pet Peeves?

Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I do not like overhead lights AT ALL! I can't explain why, since conversely, I'm one of those folks that needs sunlight as I learned my first winter in Germany.
I generally don't have all the over heard lights on, but sometimes you do need the option.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I generally don't have all the over heard lights on, but sometimes you do need the option.
I too like to have overhead lights. Like you we don't use them very often but it's nice to have the option as they tend to light the room up more.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

My pet (a cat) is peeved about pretty much everything - which, of course, is exactly what you would expect from a cat ...
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

I do not like overhead lights AT ALL! I can't explain why, since conversely, I'm one of those folks that needs sunlight as I learned my first winter in Germany.
I can't explain why I don't like them either - but there's a big difference between overhead artificial light and sunlight. I suffer from periodic depression and sunlight seems to help break it up & make me feel better. But overhead incandescent light makes me angry and overhead fluorescent light gives me the jitters. Someone once told me the fluorescent lights "buzz" at a very low level and cause subliminal reactions. So what's with the overheads at home?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

True. Like when you've dropped something and can't see it for love nor money, except with a bright overhead light. I do like the overhead spots if placed well, but if I'm under one, I sometimes have the feeling I'm going to confess to something I didn't do!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:10 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I hate ceiling lights in my own house and refuse to use them except under dire circumstances. I think OH believes I'm a little "tetched"........

As for turning off lights - I had a reputation for flipping wall switches at one office - kept leaving the boss in the dark. Delivered a memo to him during a big meeting one day & when I left the room, I turned off the lights. You should have heard the squeals and shouts from the "men" in the room!!

As far as I'm concerned, it's more about having the option to use a ceiling light, not keeping one on all the time. The option to have a light that actually lights the place up if you walk in a room to look for something. The idea that somehow the lamp that's hooked up to the lightswitch that controls the power from the socket in the corner will do for everything, when you're looking for the remote, or need to replace the bulb of the lamp in the corner, just pisses me off.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:11 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
True. Like when you've dropped something and can't see it for love nor money, except with a bright overhead light. I do like the overhead spots if placed well, but if I'm under one, I sometimes have the feeling I'm going to confess to something I didn't do!
You did it. Just confess, and stop complaining about it like a big girl.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about this question of whether or not a property has a central, overhead light in each room, or a wall switch by the door that controls one or more outlets, allowing the resident to set up various lights... could it be that the lack of a central overhead light is related to apartment blocks, where they avoid having cable runs above the ceiling? Because if all you have is outlets, then all the electrics can be under the floor..
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Thinking about this question of whether or not a property has a central, overhead light in each room, or a wall switch by the door that controls one or more outlets, allowing the resident to set up various lights... could it be that the lack of a central overhead light is related to apartment blocks, where they avoid having cable runs above the ceiling? Because if all you have is outlets, then all the electrics can be under the floor..
I've found that it's usually only the main living/family room that doesn't have a ceiling light. Admittedly our condos are in Canada...but we have ceiling lights in all rooms apart from the living room.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:17 pm

As far as I know, we're all taking about houses, not apartments.

Under the floor, the concrete floor? Whereas the ceiling fan has power to where?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
As far as I know, we're all taking about houses, not apartments.

Under the floor, the concrete floor? Whereas the ceiling fan has power to where?
Yes I forgot about ceiling fans... I remember those from when we used to visit southern climes! Anyway forget my earlier foolish foray into practicalities of construction & electrics, I'll get back to my ivory tower cogitations!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 2:48 pm

Yes I forgot about ceiling fans... I remember those from when we used to visit southern climes! Anyway forget my earlier foolish foray into practicalities of construction & electrics, I'll get back to my ivory tower cogitations!
I had to give you food for thought.. I knew you were getting hungry.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm concerned, it's more about having the option to use a ceiling light, not keeping one on all the time. The option to have a light that actually lights the place up if you walk in a room to look for something. The idea that somehow the lamp that's hooked up to the lightswitch that controls the power from the socket in the corner will do for everything, when you're looking for the remote, or need to replace the bulb of the lamp in the corner, just pisses me off.
I feel like that too. When I first go into a room, especially when coming into the house at night, I like to put the main over head light on, not too much to ask is it?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like that too. When I first go into a room, especially when coming into the house at night, I like to put the main over head light on, not too much to ask is it?
Exactly. If it's too bright then don't put 100W bulbs in it (the previous owner of our house did that with all the overhead lights - even the 3-bulb ones, it feels like you're inside the sun if you put them on )

We don't always use the overhead lights (same as back in the UK) but if you're looking for your keys or something small, or doing the hoovering and cleaning, it is nice to be able to say 'put the big light on' so you can see what you're doing.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I admit - it is about the option of having the overhead light - and we have them in all rooms in our house - but I'll go get the flash light (okay, torch) rather than turn on the ceiling light. It's stupid, I know....

You did it. Just confess, and stop complaining about it like a big girl.
Yeah, maybe I did do it - but you don't know what it was that I did!!

And do you mean to say that only big girls complain???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.