Pet Peeves?

Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Bicycle riders who think the laws don't apply to them. They do.

Being on a bike doesn't mean you have automatic right of way and can blow stop signs and red lights.

And bicycle riders who ride on the sidewalk and get pissy with pedestrian s.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
..... Apart from running red lights...they jump on and off crossroads, pedestrian crossings etc at will. They also run the red bicycle lights. Here they ride at speed along the pedestrian tourist areas. They are a danger to pedestrians.
I understand where you're coming from, but bicycle riders get the §hïtty end of the stick in North America. Whenever a cyclist get killed in a wreck the police seem to some along, shrug their shoulders and say,"Ah well, it was an accident."

Needless to say many drivers don't give a çräp about cyclists because there seems to be very little liklehood that the cyclist that you just ran over/knocked off, and killed will be treated any better than any other roadkill.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I understand where you're coming from, but bicycle riders get the §hïtty end of the stick in North America. Whenever a cyclist get killed in a wreck the police seem to some along, shrug their shoulders and say,"Ah well, it was an accident."

Needless to say many drivers don't give a çräp about cyclists because there seems to be very little liklehood that the cyclist that you just ran over/knocked off, and killed will be treated any better than any other roadkill.
Sorry to say I've never had a bike...my parents couldn't afford one...(beside Sheffield was so hilly ). I lie...I did have one when my daughter was about 9 but I had great difficulty using it. Perhaps being small is a disadvantage...I couldn't touch the floor while seated. So my perspective is purely from a driver/pedestrians point of view.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say I've never had a bike...my parents couldn't afford one...(beside Sheffield was so hilly ). I lie...I did have one when my daughter was about 9 but I had great difficulty using it. Perhaps being small is a disadvantage...I couldn't touch the floor while seated. So my perspective is purely from a driver/pedestrians point of view.
I wasn't given a bicycle until I left Sheffield, but Gloucester is about as flat as Sheffield is hilly. The problem I have is finding a bicycle large enough - I have the largest frame size and then the saddle adjusted until it is about as far up as it will go. I haven't ridden much in recent years, but I bought a bike for little Miss P, and sometimes we go out riding.

I walk, ride (pedals only), and drive, and tend to think about the situation of all the others, including motorbikes, which ever mode of getting around I am using. I make room, lots of room for bicycles, yield to pedestrians even if they don't seem to expect it, I get out of the way of sports bikes as they invariably go faster than even I am willing to. .... As a pedestrian I pause for cars/motor vehicles if I can then cross the road without causing them to have to stop, even waving cars in front of me at awkward junctions where they get backed up waiting for pedestrians.

To JSmth's point, I just wish that bicycles would behave a bit more like guests on the sidewalk, and not weave aggressively between pedestrians.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 7th 2017 at 2:38 am.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I walk, ride (pedals only), and drive, and tend to think like the others, including motorbikes, which ever mode of getting around I am using. I make room, lots of room for bicycles, yield to pedestrians even if they don't seem to expect it, I get out of the way of sports bikes as they invariably go faster than even I am willing to. .... As a pedestrian I pause for cars/motor vehicles if I can then cross the road without causing them to have to stop, even waving cars in front of me at awkward junctions where they get backed up waiting for pedestrians.
I now live in a tourist area of Toronto...its downtown but lakeside. There are many cycle lanes...but they do not observe the cycle traffic lights and often come sailing through red lights at speed.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 7th 2017 at 8:54 am.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I now live in a tourist area of Toronto...its downtown but lakeside. There are many cycle lanes...but they do not observe the cycle traffic lights and often come sailing through red lights at speed.
So, to summarize, generally cyclists are no better than those in control of motorized vehicles.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Made in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud ofMade in Sheffield 1 has much to be proud of

My husband always tells me of the time his older sister had one of those girly fold up bikes in the 80s.
She was riding it down a steep hill near Barnsley Road when the lock came loose and folded up on itself.

He still laughs about it now (he's 42, she's 46). Younger brothers, eh?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:48 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say I've never had a bike...my parents couldn't afford one...(beside Sheffield was so hilly ).
I wasn't given a bicycle until I left Sheffield,
How did you deliver bread???

Also, cyclists are worthless shower of bastards.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:55 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't given a bicycle until I left Sheffield, but Gloucester is about as flat as Sheffield is hilly. The problem I have is finding a bicycle large enough - I have the largest frame size and then the saddle adjusted until it is about as far up as it will go. I haven't ridden much in recent years, but I bought a bike for little Miss P, and sometimes we go out riding.

I walk, ride (pedals only), and drive, and tend to think about the situation of all the others, including motorbikes, which ever mode of getting around I am using. I make room, lots of room for bicycles, yield to pedestrians even if they don't seem to expect it, I get out of the way of sports bikes as they invariably go faster than even I am willing to. .... As a pedestrian I pause for cars/motor vehicles if I can then cross the road without causing them to have to stop, even waving cars in front of me at awkward junctions where they get backed up waiting for pedestrians.

To JSmth's point, I just wish that bicycles would behave a bit more like guests on the sidewalk, and not weave aggressively between pedestrians.
Surely that's like any Saturday night out in Sheffield?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 11:19 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Surely that's like any Saturday night out in Sheffield?
I'm watching you, cyclist.

(Unless I'm in my car, of course).

Old Sep 7th 2017, 11:59 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I'm watching you, cyclist.

(Unless I'm in my car, of course).

Riding a bike on the road here is equivalent to committing suicide. I only ride on quiet side streets. And I follow the rules of the road. So there.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
How did you deliver bread??? ....
They have vans in Sheffield.

I hear it was yokels in the west country that delivered bread by bicycle on impossibly steep cobbled streets.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:49 pm

They have vans in Sheffield.

I hear it was yokels in the west country that delivered bread by bicycle on impossibly steep cobbled streets.

Predictable, but it had to be done.

Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:58 pm

The new hovis ads still hit the same sentimentality, too

Or not:

Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver has tons of bike lanes and bike stop lights as well. But those on bikes like to fly right through a red.

I saw a bike hit a pedestrian once on the sidewalk downtown. And cyclist then proceeded to scream as the pedestrian telling him he should get out of the way.

Biggest issue is lack of enforcement. If a car runs a red a cop will ticket. A bike cops pretty much ignore and cyclists know this.

Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vancouver has tons of bike lanes and bike stop lights as well. But those on bikes like to fly right through a red. ....
So long as they don't cause an accident, why do you care?

Some Americans have a weird obsession with "following the rules", especially when it comes to driving. If I am turning right at a STOP sign, or even if I am turning left or going straight across, and there are no traffic or pedestrians around, who cares if I don't actually come to a complete stop. (And yes, I mean when driving, not riding a bicycle.)

In any case, if coming to a complete stop is somehow important, why doesn't traffic have to stop before turning left when leaving a main road by crossing the path of oncoming traffic?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 7th 2017 at 2:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.