Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The perfect place....

The perfect place....

Old Jun 2nd 2020, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The perfect place....

It wouldn't classify as affordable for many, but all income dependent, some find 500,000 houses affordable.

However So. California meets a good chunk of your other criteria minus big lakes, but there is a big ocean, clarity depends on season, its fed by cold water currents so you will never get tropics level clarity.

No hurricanes really, although sometimes some tropical remnants can pass through, but not what I would call a risk, heat near the coast isn't oppressive and its only hot inland part of the year, no oppressive humidity to speak of, its about as perfect as you likely find climate and weather wise in the lower 48, but may or may not be affordable depending on income and perspective. What one person deems affordable another finds not so affordable. Temp wise along the coast coldest month is January, and warmest months are typically August and September with average high's in the upper 70's, early fall is also Santa Ana season and can push temps up on the coast as the winds shift and flow from the east pushing hot desert air to the coast and highest risk of fires is generally in this time frame, but most fires in San Diego area occur to the east away from the coast, your generally safe from fires in the neighborhoods near the coast, its the suburbs to the east at highest risk.

If you enjoy rain San Diego is not the place to be, but if you enjoy mostly pleasent days and sun, and having the ability to be comfortable outdoors the vast majority of the year, its a good place.

This is what a good diving day looks like visibility wise in the ocean.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 2nd 2020 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Monterey. Rarely goes below 60, rarely goes above 80. Area is beautiful. However, it probably ranks as one of the most expensive areas in one of the most expensive states.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 1:47 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Good choices above also consider Florida panhandle.
Been in the area 20 years, no desire to move
Old Jun 4th 2020, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

I was also going to recommend San Diego or the surrounding area. Cheap is a relative term, but you can also trade-off cost for location (Move N,S or E).

In all the places I have lived in the world, San Diego was the best I came across.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly consider the Gulf side of Florida although there are some lovely decent beach towns on the Atlantic side such as St Augustine, Port Orange, New Symrna. I've lived inland in central Florida for close on 20 years and if I had to chose a beach area to live it would be...number 1.. Sarasota/Siesta Key stretch .number 2... Dunedin/Tarpon springs number 3...Tampa/Clearwater beach. Infact it is in my thoughts to relocate myself to one of these places in the not to distant future and if not there then back to Felixstowe beach UK!