British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Percy Pigs - important news! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/percy-pigs-important-news-717364/)

MandyNi May 17th 2011 3:06 pm

Percy Pigs - important news!

Well as you might know I'm off on t'other side of the Atlantic at the moment. Popped in to M&S to get a few sustaining bags of Percy Pigs and what do you know .... they are now making Revercy Pigs - all the red gummy stuff with just the pink ears ..... I know I was shocked and delighted :thumbsup: I have bought a few bags to take back and confirm first tasting was good.

Just be warned should one inadvertently try to eat two at once, ones gob will be incapacitated for quite a few minutes :blink::eek:

SultanOfSwing May 17th 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Percy Pigs - important news!

Originally Posted by MandyNi (Post 9369922)
Well as you might know I'm off on t'other side of the Atlantic at the moment. Popped in to M&S to get a few sustaining bags of Percy Pigs and what do you know .... they are now making Revercy Pigs - all the red gummy stuff with just the pink ears ..... I know I was shocked and delighted :thumbsup: I have bought a few bags to take back and confirm first tasting was good.

Just be warned should one inadvertently try to eat two at once, ones gob will be incapacitated for quite a few minutes :blink::eek:

Is it weird that I was exposed to the world of Marks & Sparks for 26 years and yet have never heard of Percy Pigs? Are they a reasonably new item?

I used to love those gummy crocodiles they did with the white sugary bit on them. We'd always get a bag of those when we were out with our ma round Belfast :)

MadRad May 17th 2011 3:29 pm

Yum, they sound good.

Am gutted, I just got back from Blighty at the weekend with the usual suitcase full of Whole Nut, Galaxy, chocolate digestives, tea bags etc, but what I really wanted was Drifters! And there wasn't a Drifter to be seem in the two weeks I was back. I guess they might have stopped making them again. :(

Lazzza May 17th 2011 3:50 pm

They started them last year I think. MIL took bags of them over to us in Sept. She works for M & S!

Squirrel May 17th 2011 4:18 pm

Do US Customs allow you to bring in food from outside the US? Last time we went to the States they took our bags and X-rayed them and asked if we had any food in them. When I said just a bottle of water they let us go, but goodness knows what they'd have said if we'd had to own up to a whole stash of chocs, biscuits etc!

SultanOfSwing May 17th 2011 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Squirrel (Post 9370103)
Do US Customs allow you to bring in food from outside the US? Last time we went to the States they took our bags and X-rayed them and asked if we had any food in them. When I said just a bottle of water they let us go, but goodness knows what they'd have said if we'd had to own up to a whole stash of chocs, biscuits etc!

I think non-perishables like chocs and crisps are OK, I think it's just meat, fruit and veg they don't want brought in.

My ma brings loads of sweets and crisps and that over for me when she visits and hasn't had any bother yet.

nethead May 17th 2011 4:35 pm

I WANT SOME PERCY PIGS.

Bob May 17th 2011 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9370123)
I think non-perishables like chocs and crisps are OK, I think it's just meat, fruit and veg they don't want brought in.

My ma brings loads of sweets and crisps and that over for me when she visits and hasn't had any bother yet.

Pretty much spot on...though depending on where you enter the US, some folks have had luck bringing in OXO, but less luck in Florida...some folks even bring cheese, though that's got to be a bit gamey by the time you get here :D

Thydney May 17th 2011 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9370194)
Pretty much spot on...though depending on where you enter the US, some folks have had luck bringing in OXO, but less luck in Florida...some folks even bring cheese, though that's got to be a bit gamey by the time you get here :D

Never had any trouble with Oxo's through Tampa

SultanOfSwing May 17th 2011 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9370194)

I can't imagine anyone would want to eat cheese that has been unrefrigerated for the duration of a transatlantic flight . . .

Right enough though, when coming back into the US via Toronto, I had some strawberries in my carry on that my mate's wife had put in a bag for the trip home, and I was all ready to have to chuck 'em but they let me through. I ate them on the plane anyway :lol:

robin1234 May 17th 2011 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9370203)
I can't imagine anyone would want to eat cheese that has been unrefrigerated for the duration of a transatlantic flight . . .

Right enough though, when coming back into the US via Toronto, I had some strawberries in my carry on that my mate's wife had put in a bag for the trip home, and I was all ready to have to chuck 'em but they let me through. I ate them on the plane anyway :lol:

I think I've brought cheese from the UK; if it's in your checked luggage, it will be really cold while at cruising altitude, no?

We used to do a regular supermarket shopping in Canada (it's a bit primitive our side of the border in this part of New York..) so we studied the rules and regulations of what you can bring in. Here's a list from CPB about what you can and cannot bring in. I see it specifically mentions bouillon and soup cubes .. (someone mentioned OXO above.)

SultanOfSwing May 17th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9370243)
I think I've brought cheese from the UK; if it's in your checked luggage, it will be really cold while at cruising altitude, no?

Yeah, I didn't think of that. I suppose the deciding factor would be the length of any layovers :D

Even so, if you were able to get in a decent block of English cheese the end may justify the means.

Thydney May 17th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9370243)

We used to do a regular supermarket shopping in Canada (it's a bit primitive our side of the border in this part of New York..) so we studied the rules and regulations of what you can bring in. Here's a list from CPB about what you can and cannot bring in. I see it specifically mentions bouillon and soup cubes .. (someone mentioned OXO above.)

I just told them it was canabis they are less bothered by that lol

Jerseygirl May 17th 2011 5:55 pm

I've brought cheese back with me. You are allowed to bring hard cheese into the US but not soft cheese. I brought about a dozen shrink wrapped packs in my hand luggage...had fun at security at Manchester Airport. My bag was put through the xray machine several times...then they took it away for further inspection.

I've also brought Oxo back. What US customs do take an interest in is when I declare tea bags. My cases are always sent for further screening.

Peony May 17th 2011 7:15 pm

I found Percy Pigs and some licorice pandas at our Meijer supermarket here in Ohio. They were imported from Germany and called Fred Ferkels, I think they must make them for M&S because they were identical.